Agnostic.com

11 5

A Few Words About the “Alt-Left.”

There are some faux liberals hard at work to destroy the party that would help them accomplish their personal agendas. But, they must teach liberals a lesson. Now, because of GOP gerrymandering we will be stuck with conservatives for generations.

I have yet to understand how these Alt-Left people can allow the GOP to win time after time and say their personal integrity is intact because "We voted our conscience." Then conservatives keep getting elected and they continue to say, "I told you so." They are easily as stupid as the blind followers of the tea party.

There is a woman here in Minnesota who is a Green Party member. She is running for Mayor of St. Paul, MN. These individuals are so convinced they are right that they refuse to compromise in any way. My patience with them has reached its end.

They are content that con men and crooks can rule them and the rest of us just to preserve THEIR CONSCIENCE and no one else’s.

realdancermn 5 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Two things seem abundantly clear at this point in the U.S.of A's political system. Corporate America is well on its way to a complete take over this country. Corporate America has proven time and time again it has no concern for anything other than continuing to increase their bottom line. I have no interest in adding to an oligarchy by voting for politicians who are indebted to their corporate donors through super PACs. I'm pretty sure this sickening amount of money given to both parties is not given for altruistic reasons. Half the country didn't bother voting. It seems that fear/extortion is not motivating people to vote. Sure things are better in many ways when the kinder and gentler oligarchs, the DNC, is steering the ship. However, the gap between the rich and the rest of us continues to increase no matter who is in charge. Perhaps people hurting (having to work two jobs and still can't stay above water, can't afford decent healthcare, insurmountable college debt, etc....) made them angry. Maybe that anger and pain allowed a sociopathic con-man to come in and win. Nah...I'm sure it was the one percent who voted for Jill Stein.

Spend last time on the internet.

It is a little silly to think that this is somehow different than it has ever been. Sure, these people exist and they always have. I would disagree that they are "alt-left". They are just extremist left. And they don't fully appreciate the privileged position they hold in society that allows them to be the way that they are.

Nevertheless, these folks are not the real problem. The real problem are the indoctrinated masses who genuflect to Fox News and an absurd belief system that roots from the bronze age and before.

The question I ask is why the hell are people so gullible?

This is always an explosive topic. My two cents worth, but first, full disclosure. I VOTED for Hillary. I greatly admire her intelligence (142 iq), her vast experience, and her tireless work ethic, not to mention her advocacy for children, women, and the LGBT community. I am not blind. I see faults in her. She lacks charisma that we expect from our entertainers...er...presidents, nowadays. She is a technocrat, much like Al Gore, who was also robbed of his win. She certainly was no enemy to business, which is not in itself bad but I haven't agreed with all her priorities. And she is not as skilled as Obama or Bill at getting the public behind a cause. All that aside, she still was imminently qualified to be president.
Though I supported Hillary, had Bernie won the primary, I absolutely would have supported his election. Bernie supporters and Jill Stein supporters certainly had some valid frustrations with the system, absolutely. My aggravation comes from many refusing to switch gears appropriately to the general election after the primary was over. So much bitterness was sewn, in large part by gross distortions and, yes, relentless fake news against Hillary, that some Berners utterly drank the Republicans'/Trump/Russia conspirators' fanatical Koolaid and decided Hillary might as well have been the AntiChrist. So, they helped elect a TRULY dangerous egomaniacal conman with a quest to become dictator, who is willing to sell us out to Vladimir Putin for personal gain. America is on its way to becoming an oligarchy unless this shit-train Republican government can be derailed.
I am sympathetic to the hatred of the status quo political system. But where does the Green Party get off thinking they can sweep in and win a presidency without first building a base of seasoned elected officials? Where are the Green Party Congressional members? Senators? Hell, local school board members? The Greens are a sham. An excuse for grandstanding without constructive accomplishment.
Ultimately, though, our stupid Constitutional two party election system is to blame. If we had proportional representation in a parliamentary system, people COULD vote their conscience without throwing away their votes, because their candidate could still hope to be part of a governing coalition. Not so in America. Here it is winner take all, even when that winner fails to win a majority. Even when they lose the popular vote.
But reality check: we don't have that system, no matter how much we wish it. If Berners weren't willing to support the eventual Democratic nominee, they had no business supporting a candidate running in the Democratic primary.

You should cast off the yoke of the two party system, it is the reason things can't be change for the better in the US both parties are full of the same kind of people busy sucking on the corporate tit.
If you fail to recognize that neither of the old parties will ever be answer things can never change,

Agreed. "Should." But how on Earth do you believe that to be possible? This two party system is baked into the way our Constitution mandates elections must be conducted. There is no realistic way bitter rivals are going to agree on how or if to change it.

@MikeinBatonRouge , You had better figure it out soon or you won't even have a country, I don't care I don't live there, but you should, you do.

Maybe we need a coalition? A consensus platform of left-leaning parties? I wonder what the laws would say about such a thing.

We’d have to agree on a national candidate… And likely distort the ‘platform’ within specific states and districts.. Democrats come as close as they feel is feasible supporting planetary conservation. Too far, and they’re dead.

I felt ‘the greens’ had done their best work within Greenpeace, or EarthFirst! (my Heros) - when they’d brought it to the public’s attention, yet kept it out of politics.. Guess they’re older and more risk-averse ~

Solid commentary. A shit-load of my Democratic friends either sat on their hands or voted ‘green’ to avoid ‘presumably’ admitting they’d voted for Hillary R. Clinton. Now, they’re screaming the loudest over the destructive force of the ‘Republican Party.’

I blame ‘Bernie,’ he was nothing new, not even a Democrat. His cultivation of idealistic purists and the nation’s youth is a well-worn tactic. Of course steadfast Democrats share his desires, but were ridiculed for being honest enough to point out, within this hideous age of contention - there’d be no damn way Bernie would have gotten his proposals through a Republican Congress -- and that’s if he could have been elected, which to me appeared the surest path to victory for Trump - and the R’s new that, thus continued their three to four decade attack on HRC...

HRC and the DNC represented mainstream, solid, politically savvy realistic adults who’d learned from decades of battle what’s achievable - and what isn’t. Their loss was due to ‘collusion’ between Russia and the RNC/ Trump crew, leaking strategic tidbits of stolen campaign emails timed to discourage former Bernie supporters. It worked!

After this, Extremists may prevail... They’d long ago hijacked the Republican party, kicking out it’s supposed “RINO’s.” Will the Democratic party do the same..? Sounds like your Minnesota Green’s running on it. As the filthy Religious-Republican party continues to allow our nation to be gutted by a Malignant Narcissist - we’re at their mercy… But, we’re not alone.. Yes, their wealthy donors are dancing in their chalets! But their stupid, vote-against-your-own-interests ‘base,’ deplorables that they are, will be the first to feel the pain.

Varn Level 8 Dec 22, 2017

I tend to think that our political system has devolved into the Republocrats/Purple Party.

There's no such thing as the Alt-Left. There are just leftists. If they refuse to vote for a centrist party like the Democrats that doesn't make them "alt" anything, they're still just leftists.

Extremes, in any direction, are never a good idea. Moderation in most all things is key,
Further, compromise should never be dismissed out of hand. It may not always be the right move, but it should always be considered.

I was listening to Jill Stein on an MSNBC show today being interviewed about the Russia Conference she attended by the invitation of the State Media. She sounded more like a stonewalling Republican than the Green Party candidate. The House Intelligence Committee is now investigating her connection to Russia/tRUMPs campaign in the 2016 election. She has the same attitude as your Green Party member of St. Paul, MN.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9871
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.