Agnostic.com

22 2

Does religion damage Self-Esteem?

jaggededge 5 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, in several senses. It creates feelings of guilt and inadequacy. It teaches reliance on external dogma and external authorities, as opposed to self-reliance, critical thinking, and independence of thought and action.

yeah Cathlocism and guilt are pretty synonymous

Isn't that what it's for? Control and self-esteem are mutually exclusive.

Yes ,because if your religion is more concerned with rules, policies and codes,than spirituality your self esteem may actually suffer because of these guidelines .Your self esteem may suffer because of the feeling that you do not really fit in or believe every tenet of that religion .

Yes, i think it does, and religious beliefs try to stunt the intellectual growth of children

yes absolutely...anyway it did to me. I was made to feel worthless, unattractive, and stupid. I know now I am just as good as anyone else but I still sometimes feel worthless, unattractive and stupid. It takes years of undoing.

Lol wow! That’s just what I was thinking the other day! It literally teaches that you are born evil from the moment of birth and a man’s death, who were nailed up on a wooden cross is held up over your head while you are made to think you actually killed him. Hell yes it can damage self-esteem!!!

I think so. The sexism and sin guilt are huge downers for women/girls.

believing in fairy tales makes you look a right twat

I was raised in a harsh punitive christian environment. Did damage to me ... was drilled into me that I was a bad person who deserved pain and suffering. I think it is child abuse to raise a kid like that. Too bad that adults are brainwashed and hurt children the way they were hurt.

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 22, 2017

Being taught to fear god was the way my parents controlled me till I broke away at 16 and left home in high school. It damaged by self esteem-took my years later to regain it.

Ask gay men that were raised Christian.

Yes most definitely for women. I've seen it and experienced it...all behind me now!

I would say yes. Anything that leads to believe that you're not worthy of X is going to have a detrimental effect on self-esteem. Being in a loveless/sexless marriage damaged my self-esteem, I can tell you that much. Divorce fixed that for me, much like a religious person breaking free. 🙂

Absolutely.

That is the whole PURPOSE of religion. "You're a FOUL SINNER!" "You don't DESERVE god's love!" "Grovel before the lord, so that he might take pity on you and forgive the endless multitude of sins that make you a verminous creature in his eyes!" "Nothing you do is good, for all good comes from god rather than you. Only your EVIL is your own - and you're not even capable of being bad without the inspiration of Satan! Talk about you being worthless and insignificant!"

"Oh - and give us your money."

Absolutely.

That is the whole PURPOSE of religion. "You're a FOUL SINNER!" "You don't DESERVE god's love!" "Grovel before the lord, so that he might take pity on you and forgive the endless multitude of sins that make you a verminous creature in his eyes!" "Nothing you do is good, for all good comes from god rather than you. Only you're EVIL is your own - and you're not even capable of being bad without the inspiration of Satan! Talk about you being worthless and insignificant!"

"Oh - and give ys your money."

YES

Marz Level 7 Dec 24, 2017

Yes.

alot of people are pretty confident when they talk about their religion so idk, prob depends on the person

It depends on the particular set of belief and behaviors of the group at hand. Many mainline churches speak and practice respect for everyone. There are churches that express a narcissistic form of religions. Others are more interested in the welfare of the masses. Self esteem is never to be damaged by sensible people. However, people with good self esteem are able to listen to each other's views with kindness coupled with justice.

I don't know. What do various studies show?

Anything done with the political intent to control and manipulate will damage self-esteem. It doesn't have to be religion.
Even atheists do it too.

Just putting "feelers" out there. what is your take on this?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9881
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.