Agnostic.com

14 1

Do you guys think morality is something inherent to the human condition, or is it something purely learned?

PaulHannah 4 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is a combination of cultural influences and human characteristics that you are born with such as a sociopath where in this case his cultural environment has very little influence on his morality

I believe its a little of both. We are all born innocent, dependent on others to take care of us. Our brains are hard wired to watch and learn how to behave as a humans. Morality is part love, the need for human contact and interactions that we reflect back onto others. We learn more within the first 5 years of our life. Our brains are like sponges, soaking up information at a rapid speed. If bad behavior, such as treating others shitty, racism, sexism or just being a strait up asshole is a consent part of that process it will have an effect on you as you go into adulthood. But as you get older it becomes a conscience decision to continue what you've learned, bad or good. Yes, people can change but it's much harder to unlearn bad behavior than it is to learn it.

Depends on what you're referring to. Morality is different than righ from wrong, but both are always changing gue to environment, culture, laws and beliefs. For the most part both are learned vut some are basic by our nature. Biologically we know it's morally wrong to eat our own children but this could be also considered a basic instinct for durvival of our species so it's a complex question with comlpex answers all open to interpretation

Humans are part of nature. Learning is part of nature. Personally, I believe morality is like gravity: There is an absolute law that we are subject to, even when we don't understand it. Slavery is an absolute wrong. It was wrong for George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, but what made Robert E Lee worse is that as our society was discovering and codifying a truth that existed long before we knew it, he fought against it.

I think it's a natural condition when we interact with others, we learn that when we work together with others, it is to our advantage to be nice and help others in the group. We call it morality, but it's really selfish in a lot of ways, because it benefits us and gives us a good feeling.

I don't think it's inherent at all. It's very much learned. If you study ancient cultures, there were VERY different ideas of morality... and even that changes depending on where you look. I think we think it's inherent because our global culture is becoming more and more unified every day.

So I feel it is definitely learned.

I think that morality is is a natural consequence of the human condition. That doesn’t mean it’s inherent. It means that in any combination of people, rules will developed to guide behavior. It’s true that there are apparently universal themes across cultures, but, beyond the fact of the systems of behavior codes, the systems are relativistic.

There seems to be an innate aspect to it, though there can be a warping or a perverting of it in childhood. There is something with which I have become familiar called "soul murder", which can happen to any child in a neglectful, abusive atmosphere.

Like most everything else, it's genetic. Whatever traits we come to possess that helps us survive as a species, eg an unwillingness to kill amongst ourselves, gets passed to our offspring.

godef Level 7 Dec 23, 2017

Morality is taught if not outright then children learn from observation. Morality is also subjective. So it is more than likely not an inherit human condition.

i believe it is neither and is actually a neurological/psychological aspect . It falls on the areas of the brain that control empathy and such. whether or not neurons are stimulating those areas of the brain or a lack of those receptors determines a persons moral compass.

I think moral disgust is a natural phenomenon that has biological roots. Moral disgust may not always be trusted as strictly of good moral fiber however as even that may fail us such as those that respond to homosexuality as disgustingly abominable. Humans are social creatures and moral considerations are only natural to develop as the tribal well-being is beneficial. However, as sapience, our considerations go much further than mere biological operativity. We may engage in critical metacognition and analyze content in an abstract capacity. Morality is a progress as it may be consistently seen looking back on humanities history that even when the ethics of that bygone time were putatively held flawed moral positioning may be identified due to our development of modern objective reasoning, for example, the justness of slavery. Moral considerations are hopefully a progress that is coalescing into something closer to objectivity through rational consensus, but who is to say who is rational here or the true authority in that realm? I think a good indicator is a person who is advanced in metacognitive critical thinking that is open to sitting down with those opposing their firmly held beliefs and reasonably listening to their oppositions positioning in a clam elastic fashion that isn't bigotted even as they agree with their own opinion. Sitting down together is the most important thing here, as history may be chalked up to a series of violence or successful conversations with some play for coercive powers. A person that may identify there own biases and analyze the veracity of their presence is also a great indication of progressed advancement in the moral realm.

Basically, I think that the foundation of morality itself is a desire for the well-being of others and a general consideration for fellows with an understanding that we are all in this walk together and there should be tolerance for those that respect the rights of others. With our very will we shape existence itself as sapient stewards here. We choose what the atmosphere of our milieu shall be. It would be easy to create our own hell here if we pursued things such as depraved justice or dogmatic tribalism.

Yes... and yes,

We live in a universe that is pretty violent, and pretty destructive. Have you watched National Geographic? Watch the turtles trying to make it to the sea. This is torture. Period. God hates innocence.

I have Pantheistic notions of God. My belief is that we very well could hate God for the hostile circumstances we find ourselves right down to the very necessity for life to consume life to persist. This culpability is all dependent on the power of God, culpability that may not be removed from the Christian perspective as He is supposedly omnipotent. My belief, however, is that this was just the physics available for life in this Universe.

Probably depends on the particular moral issue in question and the situation. Stealing? Cheating on your partner? Many of these things are seen differently in different cultures, so such morality becomes part of the system of law. If I have multiple wives, that is considered immoral in my culture and against the law. Yet I can have multiple partners and that is completely legal. Even killing of neighbors has been acceptable in some cultures over the centuries. At a deeper level there are natural bonds, like parent to child which also applies in many species. Perhaps this is where our internal morality begins?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9912
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.