Agnostic.com

46 4

Is social media ruining peoples ability to connect?

I heard a thing on NPR today and I have been thinking a lot about it. I spend way too much time here yet feel very disconnected from others.
Where do you stand about social media?

For many years it was FB and I had fun but then the election and the ugliness came out, now I see some of that same stuff here. In real life, we don't often surround ourselves with people who are different in some ways, yet we have interactions. On this kind of platform we find it easy to tear each other apart or say unkind things that we would never do in the flesh.

I think I am a yes to this question.

• 31 votes
  • 29 votes
  • 36 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 2 votes
Akfishlady 8 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There was anews report on how social media has led to a condition called Cocooning where people isolate themself from real world interactions in favor of the virtual ones.

Social media "connections" are, for the most part, superficial and add to the feeling of isolation from "real" people. IMO.

That really depends upon how open one is willing to be. Really, that applies in the physical world as well. Some and maybe most of my connections on the internet are superficial, with some handful that I've opened up to. But the same applies in real life.

For the older generations they have normal social interactions to fall back on. When I grew up, we answered the door, phone, responded to mail, called someone to say Happy Birthday or actually went to see them. In todays world, it is acceptable to post a generic post to "celebrate" a family members graduation, birthday, etc. I see it in younger generations the inability to make eye contact with people while talking. I will accept that social media has made this world a much easier way to communicate globally, however we have to find that happy medium that we don't become incapable of personal social interaction.

Yes. It's to the point where I can't even address something Trump does without going on a profanity-laced rant against him and his supporters. I keep trying to permanently delete Facebook. I'm like Eric Bana at the end of Munich; I just can't do it anymore.

It's actually making it easier to connect especially for shut-ins. Your definition of "connect" might be different. You certainly can't get close using social media like you can with direct contact. But it is ruining people's ability to tell truth from fiction.

lerlo Level 8 June 5, 2018

It’s not ruining mine.

I don't use it much myself but I really liked FB in the early days as a means of reconnecting with long lost friends. I see my kids using social media to communicate with strangers all over the world and while there has been one very toxic experience for my older son the younger has developed a network of friends across Europe who he communicates with regularly over different platforms and has intention to visit them all when he does his Grand Tour in a couple of years.

Yes, yes, yes! Lets get together for a bonfire and grill! But everyone is staring at fb half the night. I that when I'm bored at home!

Like all things, there is no yes or no answer. It will hurt some people's ability to connect whereas it won't hurt others. Then, of course, it will affect some people to a degree on a continuum. Like any communication tool such as phones, texts, email....there is good an bad and the results are dependent on the user.

Social media has benefits and drawbacks like anything. Most people that benefit the most probably complain about it. Social media is an outlet for anti-social and shut in people. It is a safe outlet and available for anyone who can't interact normally.
Sure people spend more time on their phones than interacting with people who are right in front of them but it is still a great equalizer.

Overall, no. It does however seem to have had a negative effect on their ability to think.

it's CHANGING it

The Internet does allow introverts to connect mentally and as emotionally as they'll allow themselves, without ACTUALLY connecting. In that way it reinforces their apprehensions about physical, in-person contact while still allowing safe communication they'd otherwise miss altogether.

For others, it is an arena wherein we can screen one another without the usual, in-person distractions of physical attraction and conjuring of unrealistic fantasies; without, for females, having to end up in a wrestling match with somebody afflicted with multiple personality disorder; without having to be encouraged by a few early 'dates' only to discover some ugly truths that should have been a priori..

It has only been about sis months, but I LOVE this site. So many wonderful thinking and thought provoking women are here. In any small locality they are rare. Unfortunately, I think that is why there is so much distance between them; making social interaction in person difficult. Getting to know fascinating women at a distance is far better than not at all or settling for activities with women who's hot topics are latest movies, television, shopping, their grandkids, their herd political activities, finding 'that one' to take care of them or just looking for somebody to come visit and leave in the morning... Nothing wrong with that stuff for those enjoying it, mind you.

Obviously there are a lot of men and women here who'd be delighted with some of those examples of 'good times' and so be it. Seems one doesn't need the Internet for it though. It's everywhere.

As mentioned, my experience is only six months. Nothing of any value comes easily or over-night. I'm expecting to make some interesting female friends here; some distant and some closer and perhaps among closer, someone who is complete in herself and compatible for sharing a more intimate relationship. If the latter doesn't happen it won't be nearly as tragic as having never known it; especially with good, stimulating friends and activities.

I definitely speak my mind in person or on social media. I do believe it's one of the reasons I have a small group of friends who but very loyal. I look for the same in my friends. I don't mean speaking ones mind in a Trump fashion. You can disagree amicably.

I probably would not tell a guy he is average if not for the distance of the computer but im pretty frank always too frank im told i even told my brother he looked like shit and he was way sicker than he thought week later he was in hospital and soon after operation i am holding back a little however he thinks he still qualifies for a kidney and he is too sick they are not considering him anymore i don't think and its his hope so im not crushing that

All I know is... I don't get polled by strangers.

tldr;

@Kbdank71 tldr;

@Akfishlady means too long didnt read.

Two or three short paragraphs are too long to read? Or are you being funny going along with the gist of the message?

@BlueWave You've rumbled me!

@Gareth Hmmmm.....What does that mean?

@BlueWave I'll give you a choice:
rumble
ˈrʌmb(ə)l/Submit
verb

1. make a continuous deep, resonant sound.
    "thunder rumbled, lightning flickered"
    synonyms: boom, thunder, roll, roar, resound, reverberate, echo, grumble, growl
    "thunder rumbled high above us"
  2. BRITISHinformal
    discover (an illicit activity or its perpetrator).
    "it wouldn't need a genius to rumble my little game"

@Gareth I knew what it was in American English. 🙂 I wasn't aware of the British version, but thanks for finding it on the Internet for us rather than taking the easy way of saying it's an idiom that means "x."

@BlueWave I like to cite my sources. 🙂

They are have been zoned into the matrix. Manchurian candidates are generated everyday...stay woke!

No, maybe. Is society ruining your ability to live happily and creatively by yourself? People at every generation will have something that ruin some of their abilities. I think an anonymous social media idea is a great idea. May be Reddit or dark web social medias are like that which may turn out to be popular in our next generations. But then people love their own identity and reputation so much that prolly that will never be as popular as it can be. They gotta show their booby and booty picture. We derive joy from other people indicating that we should feel joyful..!!! so we are forever stuck in some way. LoL.

There's no need to be rude or disrespectful and rip into people in any online forum. Nobody has ever been converted to another's beliefs by insults. Hoping this site stays as respectful as it seems so far. Only seen a few go over the edge and they probably won't find enough people to fight with to keep them here.

I'm not narcissistic enough to demand anyone's attention. If they'd rather be talking to someone else on their phone, that's up to them

So, when you are out to dinner with friends or family, and they are on their phones instead of conversing with you and each other, does that bother you?

@BlueWave Shit happens and we've all got busy lives. We can enjoy each others' company without demanding every second of their attention. They'll get to me when they can and, in the meantime, I'll get my own stuff taken care of

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99461
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.