Agnostic.com

12 0

Do you think that over the years, social media has improved your communication/people skills or worsened them?

I think my understanding of people and general ability to deal with them has improved as a result of social media, albeit starting from a pretty lowset bar.

• 10 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 7 votes
Faithless1 7 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

By that I mean my media participation level has played no relevant part in how I communicate or in rating my skill level in compagtttttttt t t t yyyyyyyyyyy Ott

It has had no effect on my people skills.
I have always been social and have an easy time talking to most people.

I think it's improved. I have to be careful about wording in order to get my point across in a completely different manner than I did with creative or academic or business writing. It's added another writing skill.

People who think it's somehow inferior to letters or in-person probably just need to develop this skill better.

@Faithless1 in some ways, I suppose it has. I work to make sure my posts and replies are as clearly worded as possible, to avoid confrontation born of misunderstandings. Doesn't mean I always succeed, though. ?

I agree that it’s improved my writing skills and subjects me to other points of view. I’m a guy who tries to put myself in someone else’s head, for a bit, so I consider those POV more closely than I might otherwise do. At some point I feel that I’ve got the points, considered (or will consider) them, and I move on. I’m not big on redundancy or people who post without actually saying something. That happens a lot in groups, where people say “Hi” or “Good morning” and that they are drinking coffee. I don’t care. Ask a question, make a statement that I might care about, or don’t take up the space in my announcements. It seems that I’ve digressed, though.

@Faithless1 What?

@Faithless1 I think the 2nd "what" made it clear my skills got worsener.

Neither really.
Always knew people are people no matter where they are so that didn't change.
Generally have good communication skills so that hasn't changed either.

Have my communication skills got better or worse, I don't know about that but I can say this much though....it has been a hell of an exercise !!!!

I think it has improved my writing skills as I do try to make clear, concise comments. And because I am improving in that way I think it is helping with being an overall more clear communicator. But I do think the flip side has also occurred where people feel they can make a 2 word answer to something or a harsh comment because they don't have to defend it unless they choose to. If you are face to face the dynamics are very different.

It has improved my ability to SMH

@Faithless1 its done wonders for me

Being a loner and an introvert, computers, the internet and social media have opened the world of association and communication to me.

thats a tough question. Aside from pure communication, social media prompted an avalanche of deteriorating social skills and a sharp deterioration of intellectual curiosity.

There was an almost identical poll posted yesterday.
Maybe that's a sort of answer to your question.

@Faithless1 try #Socialmedia #media or just scroll posts looking for the POLL icon

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99556
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.