Agnostic.com

5 1

Your opinion .... are you still out there on facebook?

Just a comment about immigration.... you still think you have a freedom of speech?

Watch ""I'm Getting EXPELLED For an Immigration Joke" UCF Student Asks Ben Shapiro What to Do" on YouTube

BucketlistBob 8 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Freedom of speech is an amazing thing . However wisdom in the use of words is also required , if your going to speak freely. It is not good that in this world we have political correctness , making the minority a majority etc, as that defies the logic of a democracy in the first instance . It is also not wise to make fun of immigrants in any context , we are only a war and 3 meals away from becoming immigrants too, should something horrid happen in our own countries . In this crepe paper society we all live in nowadays , it is sometimes wiser to say nothing at all, than risk saying something that could, ( illogically ) get you into trouble. Freedom of speech comes hand in hand with the cost of using your free words wisely , not in any way that could be turned against you. It is a high price to pay for him i agree<< I did not see what he posted as presumably funny , to be able to comment whether his treatment is unfair or not . I do not advocate aggression of any sort, even passive aggression, like a veiled joke . People in France were shot by terrorists for a cartoon , do not forget that

Theres no specifics other then a simple derogatory statement was made on Facebook. Be careful what you say on there. People don't want to get involved with your opinion or be seen as a friend that might support your cause.

@BucketlistBob yes its like social peer pressure to join in against someone, perhaps foolish enough to say out loud , what many may privately think. FB is a great stage for people to pretend to be the opposite of what they actually are , and if they see a chance to make themselves feel better, by joining in on a " lets persecute this guy for saying what we think " they will be the first throwing the largest stones , to try cover up what they are themselves :-/ . Luckily my FB is private so i do not make public statements and the things i do say, I try to keep real and non offensive, to even an ameba heheheheh .

Freedom of speech can be applied by anyone at any time. That is, to help their case by claiming it's their right to say something or minimalize the rights of others by claiming they're using hate speech.
Sometimes it's a very fine line between the two sides but the division can be very wide.

I am only "minimally" on FB and 90% of that is to have some contact with my adult daughter who pretty much only relates to people, me included, through that platform. The rest is to make supportive noises to posts my wife does; she's on there for the same reason as me, plus to keep in touch with old high school friends.

I don't like FB and never have. It seems like it rewards pavlovian responses and TMI. This site is a little more nuanced in its motivational system and has a balance of responsibility and reward. On FB there's really not much motivation to contribute to community, except in ways that try to "one up" others or force your view on people that aren't asking for them or in ways that are reduced to herd memes. And now that there's the problem of bad actors, faux news, robot accounts, stolen or leaked identities ... it's just not my bag.

I was a Facebook junkie but moved to twitter for better political impact. My Facebook activity is extremely minimal... That and too many ex-girlfriend’s in one place, LOL

I could be wrong, but I think this has been reversed.

[edition-m.cnn.com]

Ty

Freedom is a very non-defined word. It means so many things to so many people, yet no one knows what it means. Yes, we have freedom of speech, but they also have freedom of speech. Law suits and casualties happen. Isn't this the perfect world?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99601
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.