Agnostic.com
9 8

LINK Cat Lovers Not Happy Pet Has Been Classified As An ‘Invasive Alien Species’ | HuffPost Impact

A Polish scientific institute has classified domestic cats as an “invasive alien species,” citing the damage they cause to birds and other wildlife. ...

snytiger6 9 July 26
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a tired old flawed argument. I'm not going to bother.

Judging by the horrendous effects of climate change, I’d say humans deserve that classification more than cats do. I thought habitat destruction was a major cause of damage to wildlife. Cats aren’t doing it.

You got it, right on the nose, exactly.

We are surrounded with Invasive Alien Species. Even if they are, I think they're tremendously cute anyway!

BitFlipper Level 8 July 26, 2022

I keep my cats indoors because I'm allergic to what they carry in on their fur. Yes, unrestricted cats can cause damage to wildlife. I had a cat try to eat a bird on the foot of my bed. I was in bed sick at the time. I was 16ish, still living in the family home. The cat was allowed out. The stepwitch let the cat in, not noticing she carried a gift. Right up to my bed to show me her prize.

They outgrow it. I've had almost three dozen cats over the course of 28 years. Of all those cats and all the hours they spent outdoors over all those years and the very minute number of birds and mice they caught, it was clear to me that they didn't have any impact at all on nature... none. I was home all that time and monitored them. I counted how many "kills" that happened (less than two dozen).
It's a fiction that they live to kill. Birds do more damage to each other than most bird lovers admit.
Cats spend virtually all their time napping, playing and watching the world go by, and napping some more.

I have to agree that cats are aliens, but they are not an Invasive species as they only further the strong to live forward. We have six cats and will probably get more, they are just to cute not to love and hold and scratch.
As to their being aliens, I have it on good authority that they are from another world and are here to assure the furthering of our species, that is if we will pay attention to them.

After a certain point, especially having attained 95.6 million in the U.S. and the number one pet for decades, we have to stop calling it invasive and accept it is an established species... this is its' home. We can't say "it originated in Africa 8,000 years ago so that's where its' real home is." No, they've lived and evolved and adapted to live here now for quite some time. They've been common household pets for over a century.

Most pet cats are never allowed outdoors anyway, as it shortens their lifespan and is hazardous to them, so classifying the whole group as dangerous to birds and other wildlife is wrong...

I happen to agree. Cats that are kept indoors live longer, don't procreate, don't fight, don't get exposed to diseases, are cleaner. Some cats will wear a harness and can be safely taken outside. The fleas here are so bad mine are indoors only.

MizJ Level 8 July 26, 2022

Same thing with the feral horses that are overgrazing the west. Both are introduced species, it does not address whether they are desirable or lovable, it merely states they are alien to their current environment.

glennlab Level 10 July 26, 2022

And the Western mythos will keep feral horses doing damage. Let's see how they survive the worsening drought.

Like it or not, nature is nature.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 27

Photos 9,000 More

Posted by RobertNappi2Thursday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Wednesday morning cuteness

Posted by KilltheskyfairyTwo states…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyTwo states…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyLunar cat eclipse?

Posted by RobertNappi2Tuesday morning cuteness

Posted by AppleriverNew Starbucks Barista

Posted by KilltheskyfairyApproximately 500,000 cats served on both sides of the trenches on the western front.

Posted by AppleriverThis kitty hates Mondays as much as I do

Posted by RobertNappi2Monday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Saturday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Friday morning selfie...

Posted by RobertNappi2Friday morning cuteness...Just 1 more treat Ma!

Posted by snytiger6That moment when you realize ...

Posted by RobertNappi2Thursday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Wednesday morning cuteness

• Top tags#cats #video #god #friends #world #dogs #religion #religious #hope #Friday #animals #reason #Atheist #kids #book #money #humans #sleep #hell #church #sex #loves #relationship #mother #parents #evidence #DonaldTrump #community #atheism #youtube #society #children #Bible #memes #truth #movies #fear #belief #pets #wife #coffee #Jesus #death #laws #faith #beliefs #Song #rescue #books #earth ...

Members 1,533Top