Agnostic.com
1 1

LINK Cougar sighting closes Cannon Beach at Haystack Rock

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Cannon Beach is currently closed in the area surrounding Haystack Rock after a cougar was spotted roaming on top of the beach’s iconic sea stack.

Cannon Beach visitor Khula Makhalira told KOIN 6 News that his family spotted the cougar at the beach around 6:40 a.m. while vacationing in the area. Makhalira said that the cougar was last seen walking toward the ocean side of Haystack Rock.

“[The cougar] went on the backside,” Makhalira said. “I had to warn a family with a baby, so I stopped photographing.”

The Cannon Beach Police Department announced that the beach will remain closed until further notice.

“The beach at Haystack Rock is closed due to a cougar sighting,” the Cannon Beach Police Department stated on social media at 8:24 a.m. on Sunday. “We will update the public when it reopens, until notice please avoid the area.”

As of 12:41 p.m., the cougar was still seen roaming Haystack Rock. CBPD officers, Oregon State Police Game troopers, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife officers and officials with Oregon State Parks, the Haystack Rock Awareness Program, and Cannon Beach Fire are on scene in an effort to protect the public and cougar.

“There is still an adult mountain Lion on Haystack Rock,” CBPD said. “The beach between Haystack Rock and the dunes is closed to allow the cougar an area to escape from off the rock. We ask for your help and patience as we work through this unique situation.”

snytiger6 9 July 18
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow! Years ago as a kid in Kansas I recall a cougar (or something) that came down a creek close to use. We heard the scream and were afraid. So were our dogs who were outside.

DenoPenno Level 9 July 18, 2023

Recent Visitors 8

Photos 9,039 More

Posted by RobertNappi2Wednesday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Tuesday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Monday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Saturday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Friday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Thursday morning cuteness

Posted by Lilac-JadeCanadaFriendly question.....

Posted by RobertNappi2Tuesday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Monday morning cuteness...

Posted by RobertNappi2Sunday morning cuteness...Mini me

Posted by KilltheskyfairyCats, my rotting support animals!

Posted by RobertNappi2Saturday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Friday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Wednesday morning cuteness...Team work

Posted by KilltheskyfairyPoster kitty!

Posted by RobertNappi2Tuesday cuteness

• Top tags#cats #video #god #friends #world #dogs #religion #religious #hope #Friday #animals #reason #Atheist #kids #book #money #humans #sleep #hell #church #sex #loves #relationship #mother #parents #DonaldTrump #evidence #community #atheism #children #youtube #society #Bible #memes #truth #movies #fear #belief #pets #wife #coffee #Jesus #death #laws #faith #beliefs #Song #rescue #books #earth ...

Members 1,539Top