Agnostic.com
6 3

How would you describe white American culture?

For as long as I can recall I have struggled with identifying or defining the White American culture, and I am part of it. Most of me feels as if we don't really have a strong cultural foundation. Most of how we got here is shameful. I admire the spirit of setting out for a free world, but the follow through left a lot to be desired. As a melting pot of many, I think we've simply picked bits we like from others and made them our own, for whatever reason. Random and varied. We value freedom and individuality like no other, so that follows some logic. The result is an infinite number of possible combinations of 'bits', not really tethered to any foundation but geography, freedom and individuality. I am not necessarily knocking it, it's just how I viewed things. Though, I am curious about other's perspectives. Who knows, maybe I'll find me a culture I didn't know I had.

Amzungu 8 May 20
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am Cherokee. I learned WHITE AMERICAN cliche silent movie culture from my racist assimilationist father. He insisted all his children were WHITE. HE called his grandmother A SQUAW. USA is misogynist patriarchal gun culture. I was given a 2 holster gunbelt with 2 cap pistols for my 4th xmas 1956. I learned natural healing cures fishing hunting gardening canning vegetables and climbing our fruit trees as a small child. I learned white jesus blue eyes prEyers from my mother. She tried to get me to call my kindergarten teacher COLORED. MY Black skinned teacher taught me love. I have rebelled from the White xian culture 63 years now since I was 5....no matter how red my Brothers skins got I was told White is pure black is greasy scary jungle bunny bad.... USA culture is defined by racism militarism sexism and consumerism. I married a woman born in Africa and my mom did not ask what country she only feared a woman named Ruth could be BLACK....most countries "culture" is self defined by race and sex..... words are "feminine" and "masculine "....I was never told a single Cherokee word or song. My father called his uncle John Matthews a "rattlesnake" my daddy word for Atheist. He died at age 96 just a mile from his sister my grandmother AND I WAS NEVER INTRODUCED TO HIM ...WHITE USA culture is exclusionary. Not a melting pot but a crucible of conquest

An outsider's view but here are my 2 cents.
I find it strange that there is such a divide in the US. I expected there to be an American culture (one that, of course, varies a bit because of geographical location or religious affiliation), but people categorize themselves into such specific groups and forget about what unites them. Instead of just being American, you must a white or black American, etc. I think that's the wrong mindset.
You can't define or identify "white"cultures because it doesn't exist. I view it as you saying there is a "blond"culture or a "tall"culture". All of these are physical descriptors and have nothing to do one's ethnic or national background. For instance, Norwegian culture and Serbian culture are different, yet a white, blond, tall person could be either or, and they would obviously not have the same culture. And let's say you are an American with ancestors from one of those countries; your experience growing up would also be different.
Also, the US is seen as a melting pot, but there are some things all people share all around the country that you could argue are cultural. Individuality, like you mentioned, is one. The way Americans interact with strangers, their open and friendly manner (which sometimes is seen as fake) could also be something cultural.
I'm curious, if you can identify certain aspects of American culture (exclude race completely) what would they be?

HannaYou Level 6 May 26, 2020

I did not realize what a trigger term white would be for some. I do think the white (a better word may have been European) American, African American, Native American, etc., etc. have very different perceptions of their culture, and yes, it's ALL American, so I was simply trying to make it clear where the only perception I have is coming from.

@Amzungu I do understand where you are coming from. I think many Americans, having ancestors from different parts of a continent or the world, do not have a "strong" cultural foundation compared to their forefathers. Also, being in a melting pot as the US is rightfully described makes it even more difficult because you are influenced by other cultures, not just your own. And it's even true these days because of how much culture is changing thanks to technology, globalization, migration, etc.
However, even using the word European is too broad. If all white Americans would have come from England or Italy, I guess you could say there is one white culture. But people are from different parts and the only thing they have in common is their skin color, but that doesn't mean their culture is the same. I don't know if I explained myself well. Maybe I'm a bit too nitpicky.
And "white" should not be a trigger word, i don't know why anyone would be triggered by it.

@HannaYou Your first paragraph nails it. I don't have far back knowledge of my ancestry, so all I know of it is the post American story. I imagine that is a significant part of my struggle. I know many who do relate stronger to the cultures of the countries their families came from, even if they've spent generations here, though there are now many generations here who may be too far removed from that to have a strong connection with anything but the American aspect. With such a focus on individuality and the density of diversity (which I love, btw), sometimes I feel as if we don't have the common ties and grounding that I see with some other cultures. It feels loose and elusive. Primitive cultures are a fascination of mine, and I can go to a place like Kenya, where there are 42 different tribes in the country, and I can learn about the culture of most of them pretty easily. It's cohesive and comprehensive, and has not changed much over time, even the ones that have embraced modernism. The rapid rate of change in all aspects of life and society in the US also likely plays a role in it feeling loose and elusive. Other than valuing individuality and freedom, and maybe immediate gratification and excessive consumption, I see very few aspects of commonality among us. I am not even necessarily saying it's a negative thing. It just feels somewhat untethered.

Consider dropping the "white" term. American culture is becoming ethnically mixed with every inter-racial marrage....in a few decades I'm projecting a blend of all colors and ethnicities.

But the "American" culture is real.

It is unique.

We have been at it a long time.

What stratifies us more is not so much color any more, but degree of success...and not necessarily educationally tied success. There's lots of money out there with folk who didn't do so well in school...but found their way in to a lucrative business.

That's why there's lots of wealthy folk out there that don't seem to be too smart.

And that's also why there's a lot of college graduates - very academically sharp - working at grocery stores and other jobs that require little or no brain power.

That seems to be the "America" I know.

Robecology Level 9 May 21, 2020

I think the white (a better word may have been European) American, African American, Native American, etc., etc. have very different perceptions of their culture, and yes, it's ALL American, so I was simply trying to make it clear where the only perception I have is coming from.

I just think human history is a mixed bag of lots of really good things, really bad things and ordinary things. The focus is unfairly put on white culture. I think the reason for that is post-colonial guilt armed with the benefit of aspiration and self-effacement that white culture developed over history. I think Tom Holland would express it as our view of ourselves judged by our Judeo-Christian cultural heritage but expressed in Enlightenment terms.

brentan Level 8 May 21, 2020

Freedom is a strange word, can you define it in the American white culture?

I was referencing freedom more as an ability to choose how we pursue happiness. We don't want any damn one telling us what to do. 🙂

Why the struggle? Do you intend to teach the WA culture?

After a period of political combat in my middle forties, I realized that “something” in me was seeking better health and used the political arena for the struggle. I’m now 89 and wondering if something in you is using the arena your post describes for a like purpose.

yvilletom Level 8 May 20, 2020

Nope, not a teacher, just a self educator. If there is something in me driving it, I haven't landed on it, yet. I do think it's part of the reason I have always been fascinated with learning about other cultures. I was the girl who always wanted to be friends with the exchange students at school, so I could get a glimpse into a different way of life. Still now, I seek out people of different cultures to engage with, to get a better understanding of both the differences and commonalities. For me, the next best thing to traveling and immersing yourself in a culture, which I have only had the opportunity to do a handful of times, is getting to know someone from a different culture.

@Amzungu You may have done for yourself what one of San Francisco’s public high schools was doing for its students. Its courses were designed for students who were interested in US foreign policy and diplomacy. One of its courses was legislative-type debate instead of the traditional courtroom-type debate. I was retired and in a Toastmasters club whose members were asked to be judges at one of its debates. Another of SF’s high schools had courses for students interested in the performing arts.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 22

Photos 191 More

Posted by johnnyrobishWell, somebody had to do it!

Posted by WalterGreensTo every one out there!

Posted by LenHazell53Well would you look at that, and who posted it

Posted by Mike-IMAOpinions base on facts and evidence can change the world.

Posted by ChrisAineWhere is everybody? Don't tell me y'all caught up with Xmas festivities. Anyway Merry Christmas free thinkers. May you get a kiss under the mistletoe..😊

Posted by ScribblerWhy is everyone leaving?

Posted by AryabratIsn't this the most logical and simplistic way to dismiss a fictitious superpower/hero? Or is there anymore way?

Posted by AvaBunWhat are your thoughts?

Posted by terenaskawsHow passionate are you in creating?

Posted by SpinlieselToday, in 1872, the last Indian war east of the Mississippi ended with the capture of Black Hawk.

Posted by SlarsAnother throw back from my orange years.. mad to think they essentially just paid us to play with big toys all day fun job...

Posted by AnabuceriasPhoto is worth 1000 words.

Posted by bobwjrThat's this group

Posted by TourirstMIA: Missing in Administration. I have posted this, twice and of course, it slides under the radar, understandably as Admin has left the building for good?

Posted by LorajayThis is a wonderful way to live as long as you take care of the necessities of providing for food and shelter first.

Posted by phxbillceeCongratulations, @Marionville on reaching Level 10!!!

• Top tags#god #hello #religion #world #video #religious #reason #atheism #hope #friends #truth #money #Atheist #humans #children #DonaldTrump #belief #Bible #laws #death #society #earth #church #faith #animals #agnostic #book #hell #fear #existence #government #Christian #philosophy #kids #freedom #evidence #beliefs #youtube #movies #freethinker #created #soul #religions #spirit #evil #sex #pray #Jesus #believer #Present ...

Members 2,640Top