Agnostic.com
6 3

I'm not sure what a free thinker is, as I don't know anyone who doesn't consider themselves a free thinker, isn't anyone free to think whatever they want to? However, how you think is very important to me which is why I feel Critical Thinking is paramount...

RichieO 8 June 11
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Many people do not have the imagination to look at things in a different way, and are happy to accept what they are told as being true. The ability to think laterally can allow you to adapt knowledge to original problems and identify solutions.

And it's why daydreams should never be seen as a waste of time.

Magister Level 6 June 14, 2020

We must always be deligent about what we think...

I would guess you have to be a free thinker before you can think critically, they go together.

It was a polite and socially correct term for Atheist....It was created over a century ago, when "atheists" were branded as demons and witches...."free thinker" has a more socially acceptable connotation.

Robecology Level 9 June 11, 2020

In other words, " I can think for myself and I am not sallowing your bull shit". That was my thoughts when I was a young teen and said no to religion.

@Mermaidfantasy The term - and those who associated themselves publicly with "Freethinkers" has a longer history than I thought; it goes back - at least "officially" - to the 17th century!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Sadly it’s not quite as simple as that...children born into religious families are trained from birth to accept the existence of god as a fact without the freedom to choose whether to believe it or not, and therefore by adulthood have lost the ability to think critically, at least in the religious sense. I was born into a family who identified as freethinkers, as a child my family allowed me to make my own mind up on religion, by encouraging me to read the bible and other philosophies and freely think for myself what I should believe, when I was old enough to do so. Although the term freethinker is generally used in reference to religion, it can apply to politics or any other belief system when someone holds views contrary to the accepted orthodoxy.

Marionville Level 10 June 11, 2020

freethinker
/friːˈθɪŋkə/
noun
a person who rejects accepted opinions, especially those concerning religious belief.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 18

Photos 191 More

Posted by johnnyrobishWell, somebody had to do it!

Posted by WalterGreensTo every one out there!

Posted by LenHazell53Well would you look at that, and who posted it

Posted by Mike-IMAOpinions base on facts and evidence can change the world.

Posted by ChrisAineWhere is everybody? Don't tell me y'all caught up with Xmas festivities. Anyway Merry Christmas free thinkers. May you get a kiss under the mistletoe..😊

Posted by ScribblerWhy is everyone leaving?

Posted by AryabratIsn't this the most logical and simplistic way to dismiss a fictitious superpower/hero? Or is there anymore way?

Posted by AvaBunWhat are your thoughts?

Posted by terenaskawsHow passionate are you in creating?

Posted by SpinlieselToday, in 1872, the last Indian war east of the Mississippi ended with the capture of Black Hawk.

Posted by SlarsAnother throw back from my orange years.. mad to think they essentially just paid us to play with big toys all day fun job...

Posted by AnabuceriasPhoto is worth 1000 words.

Posted by bobwjrThat's this group

Posted by TourirstMIA: Missing in Administration. I have posted this, twice and of course, it slides under the radar, understandably as Admin has left the building for good?

Posted by LorajayThis is a wonderful way to live as long as you take care of the necessities of providing for food and shelter first.

Posted by phxbillceeCongratulations, @Marionville on reaching Level 10!!!

• Top tags#god #hello #religion #world #video #religious #reason #atheism #hope #friends #truth #money #Atheist #humans #children #DonaldTrump #belief #Bible #laws #death #society #earth #church #faith #animals #agnostic #book #hell #fear #existence #government #Christian #philosophy #kids #freedom #evidence #beliefs #youtube #movies #freethinker #created #soul #religions #spirit #evil #sex #pray #Jesus #believer #Present ...

Members 2,645Top