Agnostic.com
12 11

My grandfather was was part of the greatest generation; surviving the Great Depression, and serving in WWII. His entire generation saw the polio, small pox, and other vaccines as a great privilege against these threats. Everyone back then knew people who had died or been permanently maimed by some sort of pestilence. People were lining up to get vaccinated; city, rural, democrats, republicans! Have Americans become so weak minded that we let political ideology determine vaccination or anti-vaccine? Has the 70 years of relative health prosperity made us arrogant or complacent? How would our greatest generation advise us?

Garban 8 Feb 15
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There was about a third of the population in the states in 1918 when the influenza epidemic hit and about 5 percent of the population died. There were also protest against the vaccine as well. Has that really changed much since then?

Cities were smaller and people more spread out. Information took longer to travel. Conspiracy theories in the bigger cities spread faster. The difference now is social media is almost instant and the population is larger.

Betty Level 8 July 22, 2022

Wrong questions will result in wrong answers. It should be noted that both the Rethuglican Party and Fucks News have turned the vice of being ignorant into a virtue in the minds of all mentally defective Americans.

anglophone Level 9 July 22, 2022

Hmm

proboy Level 3 July 22, 2022

Let's see. Republicans won Florida by 30,000 votes in 2020. Since then 87,000 have died (in Florida) for resisting the vaccine...so they were mostly Republicans.

I see a trend here.

Robecology Level 9 Feb 16, 2022

@Garban you're right...Since Feb 15h it's only 67,911. In Florida.

[nytimes.com] I hear you about calling yourself a "Floridian"...I was born and raised in NY.

I lived through all of that and knew people with polio. If we had the Internet in those days none of it would have happened.

DenoPenno Level 9 Feb 16, 2022

To answer your questions, yes, yes, bugger off assholes.

KateOahu Level 8 Feb 16, 2022

Yes to all the questions, but the last one.

freedom41 Level 9 Feb 15, 2022

With a huge dope slap right upside the head. My question is would we be going through this insanity had not the POS tRump been on the scene?

JackPedigo Level 9 Feb 15, 2022

My dad too, they would tell us to think and get it done, they had me lined up for the first polio vaccine

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 15, 2022

I bet you are a white man! You conveniently neglected to mention that generation's rampant racism, sexism and war-centered culture of bigotry and hate. Vaccination is important but let's keep our eye on the real prize. Nope, we refuse to return to the bad old days,! The best is yet to come, it's just taking us a while to get there.

LovinLarge Level 8 Feb 15, 2022

@Garban You've whitewashed a period in American history as the greatest generation by overlooking the atrocities of the time because people like you bore the benefit but by all means don't let facts impede your revisionist history.

@Garban Repeating yourself won't help you. You made a serious misrepresentation and you are choosing to defend it rather than learn from your mistake. It is a merely a missed opportunity for you, as much as you would like to project it onto me. I have no interest in allies who identify historical revisionism as an "outlook".

@Garban You didn't reference a "common historical term", you said that a particular period in history was the greatest American generation. When determining what is "greatest", you can't consider only the positives and ignore the negatives which is exactly what you did yet you deny it.

Instead of a substantive discussion, you just keep repeating yourself. I'm sorry, I have no interest in continuing to interact with you because you don't appear to have anything of value to contribute.

Enhanced stupidity..... Darwin was wrong

Our parents and grandparents would think it a form of lunacy to reject vaccination to protect ourselves from disease on the grounds of exercising our right to autonomy over our body!

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 31

Photos 191 More

Posted by johnnyrobishWell, somebody had to do it!

Posted by WalterGreensTo every one out there!

Posted by LenHazell53Well would you look at that, and who posted it

Posted by Mike-IMAOpinions base on facts and evidence can change the world.

Posted by ChrisAineWhere is everybody? Don't tell me y'all caught up with Xmas festivities. Anyway Merry Christmas free thinkers. May you get a kiss under the mistletoe..😊

Posted by ScribblerWhy is everyone leaving?

Posted by AryabratIsn't this the most logical and simplistic way to dismiss a fictitious superpower/hero? Or is there anymore way?

Posted by AvaBunWhat are your thoughts?

Posted by terenaskawsHow passionate are you in creating?

Posted by SpinlieselToday, in 1872, the last Indian war east of the Mississippi ended with the capture of Black Hawk.

Posted by SlarsAnother throw back from my orange years.. mad to think they essentially just paid us to play with big toys all day fun job...

Posted by AnabuceriasPhoto is worth 1000 words.

Posted by bobwjrThat's this group

Posted by TourirstMIA: Missing in Administration. I have posted this, twice and of course, it slides under the radar, understandably as Admin has left the building for good?

Posted by LorajayThis is a wonderful way to live as long as you take care of the necessities of providing for food and shelter first.

Posted by phxbillceeCongratulations, @Marionville on reaching Level 10!!!

• Top tags#god #hello #religion #world #video #religious #reason #atheism #hope #friends #truth #money #Atheist #humans #children #DonaldTrump #belief #Bible #laws #death #society #earth #church #faith #animals #agnostic #book #hell #fear #existence #government #Christian #philosophy #kids #freedom #evidence #beliefs #youtube #movies #freethinker #created #soul #religions #spirit #evil #sex #pray #Jesus #believer #Present ...

Members 2,653Top