Agnostic.com
1 7

Give me a garden and I will have a kingdom.

Jolanta 9 July 31
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have decided to do away with all my fruit 'plants' and am going to plant a bird, butterfly, bee, hummingbird sanctuary! I have fought every weird, horrible, mean bug and I just want to get some enjoyment vs constant work & bug battles.

Heidi68 Level 8 July 31, 2020

Do away with them ? I don't get a lot out of some of my berry plants but the birds do and I also have butterfly bushes and plants along with my veg garden . It takes time and knowledge to be successful with fruit and berries . You took the time to plant them , a little more time in taking care of them will help them produce . Don't let the bugs win . You can still plant your butterfly and humming bird plants and then when you retire you can eat your peaches and watch your butterflies

@Besalbub I was picking 200+ Japanese Beetles a day from June to July, July 1 to July 20 picked 75 to 100 a day, since then around 30 a day. The leaves look like lace. The June bugs have now shown up and are eating the blackberries. Blight hit one of my peach trees.... and something is messing with 2 of my grape vines.
All I do is work. 9 hours a day at my job, then nonstop at home. I just need a break.

@Heidi68 I'd just spray them some years they are worse than others . They are protected for a week and you don't have to pick them . They have jap beetle traps also which attract them to your property but do trap them.

@Besalbub I don't spray because I am trying to make a safe habitat for the pollinators...
I tried the traps (last year or the year before) and you are correct, they do trap them but they also attract them.... maybe that is why I have so many, for all the ones that didn't end up in the bag mated and laid grubs, which grew up, mated and well, you get the idea.

@Heidi68 I usually don't spray unless it's out of hand but if you spray the foliage and not the flowers it wouldn't affect the beez as much . The last planting of beans had a lot of flowers but no beans , I'm don't know if it was too hot or just no pollinators . I haven't seen many butterflies ether and I've been looking for them .

@Besalbub interesting - I have lots of bees & butterflies (had my 1st hummingbird Friday) and my plants are covered in fruits.
I am only slightly upset over my decision to change everything out - I live alone so there is no way I can eat or even pick everything produced. Plus I love all the pollinators and birds so I figure it is just as easy to support the local growers for my fruits and such.

@Heidi68 I'd save a lot of time and money if I did the same . My mom was a farm girl and we always had a garden ,I can only remember 1 year I didn't when we lived in an apartment . I'm working less and have more time to spend in the garden . Your not gonna dig them up are you ?

@Besalbub yes, I have a friend who wants them so come fall we will trim them back and he will take them.

Recent Visitors 25

Photos 5,333 More

Posted by FrostyJim...as you Sow, So Shall you Reap

Posted by FrostyJimSurprise! Alaska has farm country too.

Posted by FrostyJimSurprise! Alaska has farm country too.

Posted by JolantaHappy hormones.

Posted by FernappleThe little woodland garden, is a symphony of blue, purple and white now. Hyacinth, Honesty, and Ornithogalum.

Posted by KateOahuThis morning I went to a class for making a terrarium with native plants at the Waikiki Community Center, which is about three blocks from where I live.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,521Top