Agnostic.com
1 6

It seems that my Coleus plants have an alluring taste to the local stray cats.
I don't know what the plants exude from their leaves but I just found one very ' high' tomcat happily licking at the leaves, it absolutely NO notice of me, its eyes were quite wide and staring as if into blank space, there was saliva dripping from its mouth and when chased it away from my veranda its gait resembled a Drunk trying his hardest to walk in straight line.

Triphid 9 Feb 28
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

[wagwalking.com] Coleus are poisonous to cats...

What is Coleus Poisoning?
The coleus plant can be poisonous to your cat, even if it simply brushes up against the leaves or flowers. Coleus contains an essential oil toxic to cats and dogs, which can cause skin irritations and burns if not diagnosed and treated right away. Additionally, if your cat eats any part of this plant, it will also develop gastrointestinal symptoms. The poisonous oils from this plant can also cause respiratory depression or slowed breathing, which can be potentially fatal to your pet.

Symptoms of Coleus Poisoning in Cats
The essential oils in a coleus plant are quickly absorbed into your cat’s system, allowing it to become very sick very quickly:

Loss of appetite or anorexia
Vomiting (may be bloody)
Diarrhea (may also be bloody)
Drooling
Pawing at the skin of the face and mouth
Skin redness is visible underneath cat’s fur
Burns on facial skin, tongue and gums
Depression
Cat is physically weak
Body tremors
Cat walks with difficulty
Lethargy and physical weakness
Hypothermia (low body temperature) after ingestion of a large amount of coleus)
Breathing difficulty

Well, that's bad luck for the Stray cats, I will NOT be up-rooting my Coleus plants just for them.

@Triphid Perhaps you could put something in front of the plants or plant something that cats don’t like in front of the coleus? It’s a terrible death for the kitties otherwise.

@Redheadedgammy No, Bugger those nasty native animals, birds and reptiles murdering mongrel cats, my yard IS my yard, my Gardens ARE my Gardens and my home is a Sanctuary for Native birds, etc, and IF those dumb felines want to commit suicide by Coleus then who am I to stop them?

Recent Visitors 19

Photos 5,327 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top