Agnostic.com
2 13

I broadcast fennel seeds in my shady beds in hope of attracting swallowtail butterflies. I've only seen one this year, but based on these two guys, there had to be at least 2.

glennlab 10 Aug 2
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fennel is very common here and I have several in my garden. The connection with the Swallowtail is something I did not know about. Wonder if birds go after the caterpillars?

The two that I see most often here are the tiger and colossal. I think the reason they like the fennel and coriander is that the birds feel the same as I do about the taste especially concentrated.

@glennlab One that is common here is the bronze Fennel.

I love fennel for its own sake as well, it is not just a great herb but looks so attractive too. I don't know why more people don't grow it, though the fact that there are the two forms both the root vegetable and the leaf herb can cause confusion.

Fernapple Level 9 Aug 3, 2021

I don't particularly like the the licorice flavor, so it is just for the butterflies, it is both a host and nectar source for the swallowtails.

@glennlab I wish mine would attract the swallow tails, we can I think just get them in the UK, but I am fairly well north.

@glennlab It seems that our swallow tail here, lives on the Milk Parsley, Peucedanum palustre , so perhaps I would not get it on fennel anyway.

You say that you do not like the licorice flavour, does that mean that you are growing the Florence Fennel type with the edible white bulbs at the base ? Have you tried the leaf herb, which has more of an anice flavour.

@Fernapple Since I'm not a fan of the flavor, I buy my seeds at the asian market, I get about 70 % to sprout and only pay $3 a pound instead of $3 for 1/8 of an ounce. I buy my cilantro the same way for a simalar price difference. I don't eat it either, but the swallowtails like it too. You really have to check on what the local butterflies like. I have adjusted my plantings so that I have a good mix for several varieties.

@glennlab . The local Amish Bulk Food Store sells most seeds as baking and cooking supplies in bulk for about 2% of the cost of seed packets. Alfalfa sprouts anyone?

Recent Visitors 17

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,507Top