Agnostic.com
5 9

Our hot, dry summer was tough on my Pacific Northwest Native Huckleberry (vaccinium ovatum) and I had thought the earlier blossoms were just cruising into winter dormancy. An afternoon of raking up leaves, trimming back fronds and general cleanup yielded a nice surprise snack of the late-developing fruit, at least a few handfuls the birds and squirrels left me!

tinkercreek 8 Nov 23
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very thoughtful of the birds (and squirrels?) to share with you. I am just getting started with blueberries, southern varieties. Planted my first bushes last year and added one more this year of the variety that bore me the most last year. I thought about huckleberries as they are said to be less fussy about sun and soil pH. Nice to hear someone taking the huckleberry route with such easy success.

And I just caught one of the little scavengers on camera!

You are very lucky all the same. I always seem to be too busy to go hunting wild berries, but I have told myself that retirement will bring back foraging, it is one of life's great joys.

Fernapple Level 9 Nov 24, 2021

It certainly is, and in my own back yard!

Better than nothing! Hope you enjoyed.

KateOahu Level 8 Nov 23, 2021

They were delicious and sweet!

How lovely!

How much did you finally get? Here we got a bumper crop of blueberries. I have a small orchard with some 25 trees but am giving it up as being a part of a gleaners group I can get lot’s of fruit without so much work. At one orchard I was able to get 25+ lbs of blueberries.

JackPedigo Level 9 Nov 23, 2021

There has to have been MUCH more in past weeks, but the rainy weather kept me from seeing it. I just grabbed a handful several times as I worked, still leaving some volume on the bush, which has grown beautifully to about 5' tall and 4' wide.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 19

Photos 5,327 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top