Looks very similar to a native rose here (which can become invasive - which it is doing into my front garden). It's called the Nootka rose.
You look a bit younger there Jack.
I also thought of the Nootka!
I was there four years ago at this time, the roses and wisteria were magnificent.
Where in the UK did you go ?
@Fernapple I like London and I love the villages. Like many places in the world the medium sized places can go either way and tend to be more cookie (biscuit) cutter with more chain retail and restaurants. If I ever hit the lottery I would have a place in the city for the culture and a place in the country for the forests, gardens, etc.
How very lovely. Some of my rose bushes have bds, despite a two year neglect. I will try and do a little this summer.