Agnostic.com
13 7

Nuckin' Futs!

OldMetalHead 9 June 28
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why did it have to point out that they were millennials? As if that's why they were killed. Or are they trying to say that only millennials are stupid enough to try such a thing? Idiots are idiots regardless of which generation they belong to. 🙄

Kynlei Level 8 June 29, 2021

I found that this wasn't the exact reasons they had for biking were they did -

The headline they employed, which they later changed — “Millennial Couple Bikes Through ISIS Territory to Prove ‘Humans Are Kind’ and Gets Killed” — and other phrasing may have created the impression that the couple’s deaths were infused with irony and served as a kind of allegorical warning about cosmopolitan, liberal naivety:

A progressive young American couple was killed in an Islamic State-claimed terrorist attack last month while on a bike trip around the world … Throughout the trip, the couple embraced the kindness of strangers and sought to demonstrate that people are inherently good.

“You read the papers and you’re led to believe that the world is a big, scary place,” Austin wrote. “People, the narrative goes, are not to be trusted. People are bad. People are evil.”

“I don’t buy it,” he continued. “Evil is a make-believe concept we’ve invented to deal with the complexities of fellow humans holding values and beliefs and perspectives different than our own … By and large, humans are kind. Self-interested sometimes, myopic sometimes, but kind. Generous and wonderful and kind.”

So...

Based on their own written reflections posted during their trip, Austin and Geoghegan were not acting as liberal, idealist missionaries, despite the impression that the Pluralist headline might have created.

[snopes.com]

Robecology Level 9 June 28, 2021

Although, I don't think people are inherently kind.

Bit like the arrogant religitard that went to Sentinel Island (an illegal act of its own and one with very real consequences)

[[bbc.com]]

Budgie Level 8 June 28, 2021

There's your white privilege, bang

bobwjr Level 10 June 28, 2021

Hate to burst the bubble but not according snopes (site won't let me post the link)

Why wouldn't natives (up to no good??) ASSume they were spies? I would

AnneWimsey Level 9 June 28, 2021

White Americans in enemy territory

@bobwjr Black Americans, they’re ok. Cycle on through.

@Mvtt Any Americans

@bobwjr haha exactly.

Consequences.

KateOahu Level 8 June 28, 2021

Idiots

bobwjr Level 10 June 28, 2021

No sympathy. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...
& just like @Lizard_of_Ahaz Responded below...

phxbillcee Level 10 June 28, 2021

It happened three years ago.

Oh, well then, it's okay.

Seems like suicide with extra steps

glennlab Level 10 June 28, 2021

Instead of suicide by cop they flew halfway around the world for suicide by terrorist....

We need a facepalm emoji for that one.

BD66 Level 8 June 28, 2021

"Think of it as evolution in action..."
Larry Niven

Yep, from "Oath of Fealty". You did the same thing I was going to, along w/ giving a "Darwin Award"!

@phxbillcee Ever read Footfall or Lucifer's Hammer?

@Lizard_of_Ahaz Sure have. I've been reading Niven (along w/ Pournelle & Barnes) for years, now. Always thought 'Lucifer's Hammer' would be one of the most amazing "disaster" movies ever made, if true to the book.

@Lizard_of_Ahaz (Just the scene of the surfer coming in over the city of L.A. would be such an amazing shot!)

@Lizard_of_Ahaz Then you've got the 'series' of his...Ringworld, The Mote in God's Eye, Integral Trees...

@Lizard_of_Ahaz He & Pournelle can be a little "Libertarian" for me, at times, but you can't deny their imagination or writing abilities. Hell, even one of my all time "masters", Heinlein, can be a bit Right on things, but, he was of a different Era.

@phxbillcee Ring World was a part of Niven's Known Space series while the Mote in God's eye was Pournelle's Falkenberg's Legion series...

@phxbillcee Heinlein was Libertarian but Pournelle and Niven were both Republicans. If they had seen what their parties had become they be ashamed of themselves.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 46

Photos 77,293 More

Posted by KilltheskyfairyThese just annoy me🧐

Posted by KilltheskyfairySounds like something they’d do.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyInteresting numbers.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyFeminist food for thought…

Posted by YoujaesI saw this picture of the Chicken Sky Wizard and I thought it belonged here.

Posted by Ryo1"Everyone" 😆😆😆

Posted by noworry28So no free gas ever.

Posted by glennlabParenting is hard when you're honest

Posted by glennlabI proudly served, even if it was reluctantly, for 6 years.

• Top tags#god #religion #religious #world #video #memes #friends #hope #Atheist #kids #reason #church #DonaldTrump #hell #cats #money #dogs #sex #Jesus #atheism #relationship #Bible #children #book #truth #Christian #beliefs #death #movies #parents #belief #evidence #animals #community #laws #agnostic #mother #fear #wife #humans #society #earth #faith #believer #religions #guns #Song #books #Christians #humor ...

Members 2,991Top

Moderators