Agnostic.com
7 7

Skeptoid covers Göbekli Tepe: [skeptoid.com] A fascinating site, one we are just beginning to fathom, and may never fully understand.

Druvius 8 Apr 21
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is funny. I just watched a Netflix drama series just last month in which this site played a pre-eminant role in the plot. It was a Turkish production and was dubbed in English. A decent story and production

t1nick Level 8 Apr 21, 2020

I have read studies of contemporary hunter-gatherer societies that show they spend about 4 hours a week getting sustenance and have the rest of the time to "play"...danc, e song, various arts & crafts. Compare this to our so-called 'easy" shopping, where you drag home the stuff after driving there, shopping, checking out, returning home & putting it all away. Unless you bought frozen pizza, can you even eat?

AnneWimsey Level 9 Apr 21, 2020

I've heard 20 hours a week? Did you mean 4 hours a day? In any event, yes, hunter gatherers had far more free time than civilized people. I think one historian once said something the effect that civilization was humanity's greatest mistake. 🙂

@Druvius no, 4 hours a week!

@AnneWimsey It probably depends on what one is hunting and gathering.

@AstralSmoke and if you eat insects!

@AnneWimsey It'd take a lot of 'em.

@AstralSmoke locust hordes, anyone?

It amazes me how our technologies can blind people so thoroughly, that we think ancient peoples where complete idiots..

Charlene Level 9 Apr 21, 2020

The origin of this nonsense was the 19th century racist Atlantis "theory." Around then archeologists were discovering that civilization had been independently invented around the world, in some cases while the Greeks and Romans were still living in huts with their livestock. Couldn't have that, brown people inventing civilization without help from white people! So the Atlantis myth was invented, a lost ancient white civilization that preceded them all, was destroyed by a holocaust, but its survivors scattered around the world and showed brown people how to build civilization. Problem solved.

@Druvius you, you mean We DIDN'T?😳😳😳😳
🤣🤣🤣🤣

@Charlene Yeah, in New Jersey grade school I was taught the Greeks and Romans invented civilization. Hopefully things have changed.

Interesting, an ongoing battle with 'bad' science.

Extremely interesting. It would be good to see some sort of rendering as to how and why they were used. Turkey has a lot of archeological sites. I was stationed there (Sinop) and my area was very old and full of history.

JackPedigo Level 9 Apr 21, 2020

Awesome site

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 21, 2020

I saw a NG or History Channel program on this just the other day.

Fascinating!

Geoffrey51 Level 8 Apr 21, 2020
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 30

Photos 292 More

Posted by JoeBKite-like structures in the western Sahara Desert.

Posted by TriphidAn Aussie Indigenous Message Stick.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by JoeBDortoka vremiri: A new species of Dortokid Turtle from the Late Cretaceous of the Hațeg Basin, Romania.

Posted by JoeBThe Cabeço da Amoreira burial: An Early Modern Era West African buried in a Mesolithic shell midden in Portugal.

Posted by JoeBMusivavis amabilis: A new species of Enantiornithine Bird from the Early Cretaceous Jehol Biota of northeastern China.

Posted by JoeBTorosaurus in Canada.

Posted by JoeBStone tools from the Borselan Rock Shelter, in the Binalud Mountains of northeastern Iran.

Posted by JoeBDating the Lantian Biota.

Posted by JoeBBashanosaurus primitivus: A new species of Stegosaur from the Middle Jurassic of Chongqing Municipality, China.

Posted by JoeBDetermining the time of year when the Chicxulub Impactor fell.

Posted by JoeBSão Tomé and Príncipe: Possibly the last country on Earth never to have been visited by a working archaeologist.

Posted by JoeBMambawakale ruhuhu: A new species of Pseudosuchian Archosaur from the Middle Triassic Manda Beds of Tanzania.

• Top tags#ancient #species #evidence #dinosaurs #world #animals #evolution #China #video #Australia #discovery #humans #Present #ancestors #god #Europe #university #extinction #evolutionary #relationship #birds #hope #reason #DNA #climate #earth #religious #kids #museum #book #cultural #evolved #origins #USA #friends #fish #burial #death #Antarctica #laws #genetic #Organic #mother #community #religion #Atheist #dogs #novels #Christian #truth ...

Members 662Top