Agnostic.com
4 4

Polynesians steering by the stars met Native Americans long before Europeans arrived: [sciencemag.org]
Not surprising, Polynesian contact with South America was pretty much a given, the Sweet Potato proves that. I wonder if Japanese DNA will ever be found in Pacific Northwest native populations. Demasted by storms Japanese fishing vessels drifted there, sometimes with survivors, in the 18th and 19th centuries. No reason to think it hadn't been happening a thousand years or more ago.

Druvius 8 Jan 7
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This museum in Peru has thousands of artifacts from a private collector who wanted to stop the flow of anomalous artifacts from leaving the country. Lots of pottery figures that go back well before the Spanish Conquest, like these ones.

Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon (coastal foothills south of Portland) has a large Polynesian population and cultural program, and I would be surprised if there was not a genetic study pursued there recently, with all the available testing data.

Amazing history

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 7, 2021

I know such a place in South America and there’s relevant cultural artifacts that seem inspired by ancient Japanese artifacts.
DNA testing is being researched in the Northwest unless an anti intellectual conservative theist political appointee defunded the research.

Yes, there's a number of reasons to think there was Polynesian contact with South America. Still, hints aren't proof, nice to see science zeroing in on proof.

@Druvius Palio genetics is more powerful than I expected as a science tourist and I’ve been distracted from the progress just as I lost track of the politics and cutting-edge technology of Thorium MSR fission reactors and quantum tunneling microscopes and CRISPR.
If I won the lottery I’d probably build an elaborate laboratory as a hobby but mostly sit around getting high and watching TV or web surfing on a couch, in a comfy nook of the lab.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 26

Photos 292 More

Posted by JoeBKite-like structures in the western Sahara Desert.

Posted by TriphidAn Aussie Indigenous Message Stick.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by JoeBDortoka vremiri: A new species of Dortokid Turtle from the Late Cretaceous of the Hațeg Basin, Romania.

Posted by JoeBThe Cabeço da Amoreira burial: An Early Modern Era West African buried in a Mesolithic shell midden in Portugal.

Posted by JoeBMusivavis amabilis: A new species of Enantiornithine Bird from the Early Cretaceous Jehol Biota of northeastern China.

Posted by JoeBTorosaurus in Canada.

Posted by JoeBStone tools from the Borselan Rock Shelter, in the Binalud Mountains of northeastern Iran.

Posted by JoeBDating the Lantian Biota.

Posted by JoeBBashanosaurus primitivus: A new species of Stegosaur from the Middle Jurassic of Chongqing Municipality, China.

Posted by JoeBDetermining the time of year when the Chicxulub Impactor fell.

Posted by JoeBSão Tomé and Príncipe: Possibly the last country on Earth never to have been visited by a working archaeologist.

Posted by JoeBMambawakale ruhuhu: A new species of Pseudosuchian Archosaur from the Middle Triassic Manda Beds of Tanzania.

• Top tags#ancient #species #evidence #dinosaurs #world #animals #evolution #China #video #Australia #discovery #humans #Present #ancestors #god #Europe #university #extinction #evolutionary #relationship #birds #hope #reason #DNA #climate #earth #religious #kids #museum #book #cultural #evolved #origins #USA #friends #fish #burial #death #Antarctica #laws #genetic #Organic #mother #community #religion #Atheist #dogs #novels #Christian #truth ...

Members 662Top