Agnostic.com
4 13

Interpreting the gender identity of the Suontaka Vesitorninmäki burial.
[sciencythoughts.blogspot.com]
Reports of women buried with weapons always generate considerable interest in archaeology. One notable example of this is the Suontaka Vesitorninmäki grave from southern Finland, which has been interpreted as a woman buried with two swords, based upon the feminine clothing of the individual, and the presence of jewellery, which is not generally found in male burials of the period (the grave has been dated to between 1050 and 1300 AD). This site has been held up as an example of a powerful woman in a late Iron Age/early medieval society since its discovery in the 1960s, and was on permanent display as evidence of a female leader at the National Museum of Finland from 1995 to 2016, with one of the swords from the site being on display in the ‘Meet the Vikings’ exhibition at the National Museum of Denmark as a woman's weapon.

JoeB 6 Aug 26
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Awesome

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 26, 2021

Instead of "In the year of our Lord" (AD), as nonbeliever(s), wouldn't it make more sense to use CE ?
(regardless of what others say/use)

[en.wikipedia.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]

Possibly, but it would cause utter confusion in many non-English speakers, so I avoid it.

@JoeB Yea, like in Texas and Florida where CE is an atheist plot to remove the "Year of our Lord" from our vocabulary. I'm just so old that using AD or CE means nothing to me because synonyms, but honestly I keep forgetting CE and I'm guilty of using AD knowing it's archaic then having to look up CE to remember what the two letters are supposed to be. I guess I just have to learn to remember "Common Era" but somehow it's counter intuitive. Somehow mentally it's not like trying to pull a sardine out of a can with your fingers, it's like trying to fish a live sardine intent on escaping out of a bathtub full of lube with your fingers.

I deal with a lot od Asian students who certainly aren't Christian, but who are horrified by our tendency to replace established acronyms with new ones, so I don't do it lightly,

We all have knives.

Sometimes I almost forget what a queen she was ... in all senses.

We are out there. Just written out of history as others. Only those whom history could not ignore appear in the annals. Fascinating discoveries await us. I so enjoy them.

Mooolah Level 8 Aug 26, 2021
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 22

Photos 292 More

Posted by JoeBKite-like structures in the western Sahara Desert.

Posted by TriphidAn Aussie Indigenous Message Stick.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by JoeBDortoka vremiri: A new species of Dortokid Turtle from the Late Cretaceous of the Hațeg Basin, Romania.

Posted by JoeBThe Cabeço da Amoreira burial: An Early Modern Era West African buried in a Mesolithic shell midden in Portugal.

Posted by JoeBMusivavis amabilis: A new species of Enantiornithine Bird from the Early Cretaceous Jehol Biota of northeastern China.

Posted by JoeBTorosaurus in Canada.

Posted by JoeBStone tools from the Borselan Rock Shelter, in the Binalud Mountains of northeastern Iran.

Posted by JoeBDating the Lantian Biota.

Posted by JoeBBashanosaurus primitivus: A new species of Stegosaur from the Middle Jurassic of Chongqing Municipality, China.

Posted by JoeBDetermining the time of year when the Chicxulub Impactor fell.

Posted by JoeBSão Tomé and Príncipe: Possibly the last country on Earth never to have been visited by a working archaeologist.

Posted by JoeBMambawakale ruhuhu: A new species of Pseudosuchian Archosaur from the Middle Triassic Manda Beds of Tanzania.

• Top tags#ancient #species #evidence #dinosaurs #world #animals #evolution #China #video #Australia #discovery #humans #Present #ancestors #god #Europe #university #extinction #evolutionary #relationship #birds #hope #reason #DNA #climate #earth #religious #kids #museum #book #cultural #evolved #origins #USA #friends #fish #burial #death #Antarctica #laws #genetic #Organic #mother #community #religion #Atheist #dogs #novels #Christian #truth ...

Members 661Top