Agnostic.com
2 0

I just asked if there was a group concerned wth grammar and punctuation and it brought up 'Just for laughs'. Are there no other pedants, or custodians of the language, here?

CeliaVL 7 Oct 12
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Comprehension is a good one too.
A few weeks ago I posted a one liner "Transpeople ain't what they used to be".
It's a play on words and can be taken several ways. But I was quite amazed how many just read "trans" and put on their PC caps and started deriding the post as if it was derogatory.
Language is all about communication. The finer points of written language is all fine and good but not essential to effective communication. Comprehension helps though.
And then we also have here English and American spellings.

puff Level 8 Oct 12, 2024

I'm afraid a lot of people don't understand wordplay or irony, these days. I blame poor education and also restricting themselves to the same repetitive media.

@CeliaVL Inuendo and sarcasm are the other two.

@puff No, there are more than three of them. And what sort of parent calls there kids "Inuendo and Sarcasm" anyway ? No wonder they grow up without social and language skills.

@CeliaVL It's also restricting their use of language so as to not offend. They tend to take things literally always I agree with tongue in cheek stuff often being missed because of a monopoly of entertainment.

No…but there’s a group for those of us who love word knowledge and are interested in extending our vocabularies and expanding our understanding of where and how the words we use in.our language originated. .
It’s called “The Uncommon Word and their Meanings” group, and I already posted my usual daily contribution to it earlier this morning.
Today it was…. “Non Sequitur - Noun”.

I saw it. I hope your efforts are appreciated by some of our less well-educated members, but I suspect you are preaching to the choir.

@CeliaVL Probably so…but I enjoy doing it anyway! 😅

Recent Visitors 8

Photos 24 More

Posted by Admin Does teaching "white guilt" also cultivate a "white pride" backlash?

Posted by Admin Why not equality right now?

Posted by Admin How's Biden doing?

Posted by Admin How many good friends do you have from other political tribes?

Posted by Admin What did Trump do, if anything, to incite violence?

Posted by Admin How do you feel about Parler being removed from the Internet?

Posted by Admin How do you feel about Parler being removed from the Internet?

Posted by Admin Now what?

Posted by Admin What do you expect to be achieved by this week's pro-Trump DC rally?

Posted by Admin What did you learn in 2020?

Posted by Admin Are Twitter and Facebook's new "Hate Speech" rules fair?

Posted by Admin Is it ok to affirm someone's untrue beliefs?

Posted by Admin Are you ready to reduce your carbon footprint?

• Top tags#democrats #DonaldTrump #video #world #vote #friends #media #evidence #god #violence #beliefs #racism #injustice #humanity #agnostic #reason #Christians #apple #Freespeech #religious #fear #policy #flowers #immigration #species #REDlivesMATTER #moral #philosophy #racist #birth #culture #conspiracy #guns #conservatives #CheatWorkersForceDpregnancies #RadioCultLIARs #BrainwashedDittoHeads #RrrsshaahDingyCrazyLIMPboss #inequality #Asian #weed #equality #books #liberal #tribe #liberals #FakeNews #PelosiGuiltyOfTREASON #OneHundredLIARsHere #sex ...

Members 94,607Top