Agnostic.com
4 1

[msn.com]

Bianca Williams to sue the MET over racial profiling.
I am siding with the police on this one. The car was allegedly being driven on the wrong side of the road and was driven off at speed when the police tried to stop it.
It is profiling but not racial profiling.It is profiling of drug dealers in the area. They are mostly young black guys driving this type of car.
He said when he had a boring hatchback he was never stopped but since he bought a flash black Merc. with tinted windows he has been stopped frequently.
I wonder why he bought the car ?. To appear super cool and "edgy" maybe. like a drug dealer.
They were asked to get out of the car but I saw a video extract of the situation and she was screaming at the police and refusing to get out so they both were forcibly removed and handcuffed.
Get over it Bianca and stop being a prima donna.

Moravian 8 July 6
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

By, siding with the police do you mean uncritically accepting their version of events? So for example when you agree the with police statement that the car was being driven on the wrong side of the road. Do you have anything to say about the counter claim that the road was single width. How do you reconcile the apparent contradiction in the police statement "They indicated for it to stop but it failed to do so" with the following sentence "The officers caught up with the vehicle when it stopped." Did it stop or didn't it? The counter claim is "Dos Santos said he had only driven on for 20 metres to find a safe parking space"
Here's link to google street view of the road in question.
[google.com]

Does it look to you unlikely that a car would need to drive on to find a safe parking space.?
How on a road like that would you be described as driving "on the wrong side"

According to Linford Christie's text the police officers claimed they smelled weed in the car but refused to do a roadside drugs test. Given that the owners were two professional athletes subject to regular drugs testing and with a three month old child in the car and no drugs were found would you assess the likelihood that weed was indeed smelled? If it wasn't smelled do you think a police officer is more likely to make an honest mistake about that or be leveraging a subjective excuse to carry out a search that they had no reason to do?

What do you have to say about the subsequent apology from the head of the Met Police for the heavy handed approach and use of handcuffs?

Do you have anything to say about it being the 10th time this gentleman has been stopped? Or the 2nd time in two months. How many times have you been stopped and searched by the police and how frequent would stops have to be before you expressed frustration?

Does your suggestion that buying an expensive looking car is asking to be stopped ring any bells with you? Where else have you heard the "asking for it" excuse and how do think it sounds in either context?

MattHardy Level 7 July 12, 2020

I did say that the car was ALLEGEDLY being driven erratically so it is the drivers version of events against that of the police.
If you are signalled to stop by the police, stop, block the road. What the hell, that is their problem. I remember once being signalled to stop by the police and I decided to carry on a few yards to a layby and the policeman acted as if I was trying to drive away.
I saw the video clip from her phone. She was screaming as if she was being abducted.
The police asked them to get out of the car so why not just get out instead of behaving like that.
This is the UK, not some third world country or the USA.
It is true that young black men are stopped and searched more often than white men but is that just because they are black or because more of the drug dealers are young black men ?. I don't know.
Dos Santos said when he drove a Nissan hatchback he was never stopped. since he changed it for a fancy black Merc with tinted windows he has been stopped fifteen times.
That would give me the impression that it was not purely because he is black but because of the car which is favoured by drug dealers .
AS I said I think the police were a bit heavy handed in this instance and if it is found that they were at fault well so be it.

@Moravian that's true, you used the word allegedly. Fair enough. However you did ignore the other side of the story entirely and even when invited to address multiple issues you responded by giving bad advice.

Here's what to law says..

[gov.uk]

The police can stop a vehicle for any reason. If they ask you to stop, you should always pull over when it’s safe to do so.

So not stop in the middle of the road, but pull over when it's safe to do so.

And you're fully backing the stereotype that a young black man in an expensive car looks like a drugs dealer. Ask yourself where you got that idea? I can tell you that I don't believe it stands up to scrutiny. Even so, the regulations are quite clear. The police can't stop and search on the basis of driving an expensive car while young or black. They need a better reason than that. Fortunately for them it's easy to make up a spurious excuse. Despite you ignoring it, there's evidence that this is what happened here. Why have you failed to acknowledge that evidence?

@MattHardy You are putting words in my mouth. I am not backing any stereotype.
It is statistically true that more BAME men are stopped and searched than white men and if this means that the police are systematically racist then that is something that needs to be addressed.
I think it is ridiculous that possession of cannabis is against the law and I believe that possession and use of other drugs should be decriminalised, but that is the law and the police use stop and search to process this.
Are you suggesting that young white men are never stopped. I know a couple of young guys who drive hot hatches with loud exhausts and they say that they have been stopped several times.
We are talking about this one instance. The woman over reacted and the whole situation escalated. It sounds to me like "I am a famous athlete how dare you stop me".
The BLM protests have brought to prominence the unfair treatment of ethnic minorities and rightly so and because of this any perceived unfair treatment of a black person will be given more publicity.
I wonder if this had been a couple of white athletes would it have been given so much publicity.

@Moravian OK without me putting words in your mouth please can you re read some you your statements

"It is profiling of drug dealers in the area. They are mostly young black guys driving this type of car."

"just because they are black or because more of the drug dealers are young black men ?. I don't know."

" not purely because he is black but because of the car which is favoured by drug dealers ."

Can you not see how someone reading this might think that you're backing a stereotype?

Do you feel any of that needs clarifying?

It seem you think this is the reason the police pulled the car over and that it's a fair reason. But of course that reason is not only a bullshit stereotype but the police aren't allowed to pull a car over for that reason. So do you agree it's more than just possible that the police lied about why they pulled the car over?

@MattHardy So why did the police pull over the car ?. maybe they were bored and it was a quiet day.
May be the statistics in this report can give you a clue.[news.sky.com]

@Moravian
I think the car was pulled over because they saw a young black man in an expensive car and they lied about their reasons.
I'm finding it hard to believe that you don't agree that this is what happened, that you don't care that the Police lied about their reasons and think it's OK to use statistics like the ones you just quoted to justify racially profiling people for stop and search.

@MattHardy [facebook.com]

Bloody police and their racial profiling.

@Moravian I think the car was pulled over because they saw a young black man in an expensive car and they lied about their reasons.
I'm finding it hard to believe that you don't agree that this is what happened, that you don't care that the Police lied about their reasons and think it's OK to use videos like the ones you just shared to justify racially profiling people for stop and search.

@MattHardy You don't get irony then ?

London is stab city with a knife crime on average every 12 minutes. Trump even mentioned it to deflect attention from the gun crime in America.
By proportion of population percentage more knife crimes are carried out by black men than white men. A 14 year old kid on a stolen moped stabbed and killed. A young woman standing outside a shop was shot and killed.
Glasgow had the "honour" of being knife crime capital a few years ago but it was sorted out partly by stop and search measures and social work within deprived areas and within the gangs.
Police from Glasgow are now assisting the Met in combating this.
Of course the BLM movement is necessary but for a young woman to play the race card because her feelings were hurt does not help matters.

@Moravian do you think that the Police lied about the car driving on the wrong side of the road? Do you think the police lied about being able to smell weed in the car?

I really wish white people would stop believing that the police act impartially when they see a black person driving an expensive car. We must learn to listen to black people’s concerns about stop and search, and not believe everything the police tell us about why they target them. The police have changed their story twice since yesterday about this particular incident, and still haven’t released the dash cam film actual footage. The truth is that they always use some kind of an excuse such as “driving erratically”, “acting suspiciously“ or some other standard reason for stopping, but the statistics speak for themselves...it’s actually racial profiling of young black men who drive flash cars! The police were mob-handed and aggressive, Bianca was almost incoherent and panicking about the situation because she is not normally targeted, but her boyfriend is regularly targeted because he is a typical racial stereotype in the eyes of the police. There was absolutely no need to use handcuffs, and the Met has admitted that should not have happened, nor is it standard procedure. I can’t agree that it’s someone’s fault for choosing to drive a certain type of car...that falls into the same category as racial profiling, call it car profiling, and in any case it was only the rear window that was tinted to stop the glare, so the police were more than able to see who they were targeting!

We whites need to walk a few miles in black shoes to experience racism and prejudice first hand before we can say it doesn’t exist!

I have sympathy for both parties but the police do seem to have been a bit heavy handed in this instance.
No doubt the police are underfunded and the stop and search is an easy option. Much easier than infiltrating the drug gangs.
Do the police stop black men because they are black or because many of the drug dealers are young black men and they drive this type of car ?. I don't know.
Dos Santos said when he drove a boring Nissan he was never stopped, but when he changed it for a flash Merc with tinted windows he has been stopped several times.
Why did he buy such a car ?. To be provocative ?

@Moravian He’s a young man with a bit of celebrity and money due to his athletic status and sponsorship deals....why should he not buy a nice car? I’m pleased that he’s in a position to be able to do so. By doing so, Is he being being provocative? Would you ask that question of a white athlete? You are still looking at things through white eyes I’m afraid.

@Marionville Not at all. I am right behind the BLM movement and very aware of white privilege.
I just don't subscribe to the "police systematically racist" mantra without evidence.
However if the figures in the attached release are accurate it certainly appears that the justice system is definitely biased.

[release.org.uk]
It is ridiculous that anyone is arrested for cannabis in this day and age.
The link did not appear to work but the figures were something like 7 white people searched per 1000 and 38 black people searched per 1000 and there was also a disparity in the sentencing.

Black people please be calm. Police please be respectful. To change things we need both things to happen at once. I think the important question is who is going to universally change their community first. I sense a reluctance on the part of the police.

Mcflewster Level 8 July 7, 2020

Too full of themselves and their "celebrity" image.

Petter Level 9 July 6, 2020
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 18

Photos 58 More

Posted by MoravianTory Corruption ?

Posted by MoravianA Tory Christmas carol

Posted by MoravianAny takers

Posted by MattHardyA Boris promise is just a lie that hasn't happened yet. Whatever Sue Grey says, no way is Boris going to admit he lied and resign.

Posted by MoravianJacob Rees Mogg is one of my least favourite people in the world.

Posted by MoravianBoris certainly has his finger on the pulse

Posted by webspider555No trump to take the spotlight off him now

Posted by MannanWhat do you think.....?hahaha

Posted by McflewsterEVERY BORIS SPEECH [agnostic.com]

Posted by MoravianPolitics in the UK

Posted by webspider555All set to go well with the vaccination roll out

Posted by webspider555Vaccine already in production

Posted by webspider555If Boris is mentioned then I cannot rule out it being true

Posted by HawkeyeNew to this group, thanks for having me :) Thought I would share something that has had my poor wee atheist brain turning for a few days (the article is a few days old).

Posted by McflewsterWhere Religion ,Monarchy and Private Education meet. Taken from the Book "BOY" by Roald Dahl "Tales of Childhood" [agnostic.com]

Posted by webspider555I’m beginning to wonder whether our government is just incompetent or are all these things happening just to get us in a rage arguing amongst ourselves.

• Top tags#video #world #hope #religious #government #god #religion #church #DonaldTrump #Atheist #BBC #vote #atheism #reason #friends #death #politics #money #children #laws #agnostic #fear #community #book #minister #Christian #media #belief #society #faith #rights #parents #dogs #cats #beliefs #hello #Jesus #politicians #truth #Australia #weather #movies #Christmas #wife #conservative #Wisdom #Song #kids #USA #Europe ...

Members 387Top