Agnostic.com
4 4

Lupang Hinirang : (Philippine Nat'l Anthem) Acoustic Version

This version has always being very calming, and peaceful, that to find this specific video, spent like an hour or so looking.

Ello 6 Aug 13
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A tune & lyrics that normally would not be recognised as folk music if it was not a national anthem. It has a known author and has not been rewritten and massaged by the people to result in a song of the people. Like slavery it has been enforced upon the people.

FrayedBear Level 9 Aug 13, 2021

Alright.
Although, this is World Music group.

@Ello whoops sorry my bad. I thought it was in "Traditional and Folkmusic". Must have been still asleep when I wrote it!

Overstepping things a bit are you not Richard. It’s definitely not Folk music as you point out…but even if it was it would be ok to post it here in World Music!

@Marionville It's all debateable Marje. Few consider brass bands or music hall to be folk music but it is. As Satchmo is reputed to have said - " it's all folk music cos I ain't heard no horse sing". I can't agree with that statement, preferring the anon authorship & use of "in the folk idiom" for authored material adopted by many.
In the case of anthems they are usually adopted by many, are rarely anonymous, are frequently political & jimgoistic, are sometimes shared (if I remember correctly God save the Queen uses a tune also used in Germany or was it Belgium?). [historytoday.com]

The Australian national song was was written by a right wing racist & at least one of his verses had to be removed:

[countercurrents.org]

[welcometocountry.org]

@FrayedBear Lichtenstein and Switzerland both used the same tune as the British national anthem ….Lichtenstein still does but the Swiss changed theirs in the 1960s. It’s a bit of a dirge as a tune..but of course it’s the words that make it patriotic or jingoistic and not the tune itself. The US tune is a good one, and the French and Italian ones even better…in my opinion.

@Marionville Many (about 27% and that was in the 70's or 80's) voted for Waltzing Matilda. The copyright is held by an American & lauding a song to a suicide is not exactly saying much about your character:
"Up jumped the swagman and sprang into the billabong,
You'll never catch me alive, said he,
And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong,"

@FrayedBear But it’s the song that is always the first to spring to mind when an Australian song is mentioned….Waltzing Matilda is synonymous with being Australian and therefore most appropriate in my opinion.

@Marionville It took a long while before I realised the stupid swaggie is a suicider. Seriously what are they going to do to him? Transport him back to England? The tune by the way is Scottish in origin. The march was based on the music the Scottish composer James Barr composed in 1818 for Robert Tannahill's 1806 poem "Thou Bonnie Wood of Craigielee". In the early 1890s it was arranged as "The Craigielee" march music for brass band by Australian composer Thomas Bulch.
Read
[en.m.wikipedia.org]
And listen to
[abc.net.au]

@FrayedBear Big Bill Broonzy said that in concert with Pete Seeger.
( Horses).

@rogerbenham not with you Roger. What was being said?

@FrayedBear " it's all folk music cos I ain't heard no horse sing".

@rogerbenham aha that horse. I don't agree with it as a definition.

@FrayedBear Nor I but the local rockers use it.

@rogerbenham as I said on "The Decemberists : The Mariner's Revenge Song
[youtube.com]

Does this song count?" referring to non folkies or their record companies calling themself "folk" is "IMO is usually self promotion for "we don't know what the fuck we are because mainstream commercial music won't let us in!" "!

@FrayedBear Always pity but remember the Fakawi tribe.

@rogerbenham lol, are you suggesting that I don't know where I am? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

@FrayedBear Well done! It is one of my favourite jokes.

@rogerbenham lost in the woods? Live in the ghastly polluted city.

@FrayedBear Whilst their proclaiming cry was "We're the Fakawi!" I suppose living in the ghastly polluted city would be "Why the Fakawi".

@rogerbenham Love it!

Very western - not at all what I expected.

Written only 120 years ago. Spanish Catholic indoctrination & now severely impacted by USA. I doubt brass instruments are native to the Philippines! A sad country whose main export appears to be very cheap labour & women renowned for their ability to sell themselves in marriage to old men who they see as rich - anyone with an income of $A10 per week is a millionaire.

I prefer this to the vocal version below.

How about this one?

I suspect that the YouTube channel owner is also a subscriber to Hillsong xtian proselytising merchandise.

@FrayedBear Nope…prefer the guitar.

Same! A very peaceful and clam short performance.

For those wanting a version with the lyrics the following is not too military and has the advantage of also giving the lyrics translated into English.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

"Marcha Nacional Filipina" (Original title of the march composed by Julián Felipe). "Filipinas" (Original title of the poem written by José Palma)

FrayedBear Level 9 Aug 13, 2021

Rousing tune….as most anthems are designed to be.

@Marionville Isn't jingoistic a better expression?

@FrayedBear I wasn’t referring to the words…I was talking about the tune. Of course the words of most National anthems are usually jingoistic..that’s to be expected is it not?

@Marionville IMO self honesty is a far better characteristic

@FrayedBear Can you give me an example of a National anthem that uses self honesty in the lyrics ?

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 8

Photos 63 More

Posted by FrayedBearNow the sanctions against Israel spread to the Euroschism Song contest.

Posted by FrayedBearA recording of an interesting broadcast on the subject of coffee by relatively well known but nonetheless superb Australian folk singer Kavisha Mazella

Posted by kocasYou will face a hurdle in the daily weaving game that you must overcome.

Posted by Zoewees[shp.ee] SALDO SHOPEE GRATIS LANGSUNG CAIR 2022

Posted by ReignmondIt is tough to find sharable music from The Oppossums Of Truth. There are 3 full albums of Scientific Gospel music here. [boomplay.com]

Posted by ReignmondIt is tough to find sharable music from The Oppossums Of Truth. There are 3 full albums of Scientific Gospel music here. [boomplay.com]

Posted by ReignmondIcelandic Folk Music - Tyrkjaránid - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondOk...how about this hauntingly beautiful opera aria? [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondOkay, let's just say this is not like K-pop....and let it go at that. I stumbled on them about 3 years ago. [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondAn Irish song in Gaelic with translation [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondThe song title translates to I Won't Give Up by Hungarian Alternative/Indie band Intim Torna Illegál (Intimate Gymnastics Is Illegal). [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondGet ready for some beautiful music. I have a couple albums by Heartstrings. Sometimes I play them in the office and it is quite popular. [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondJapanglish Song - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondAVA Opera - The Doll's Song from "Tales of Hoffmann" - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondYoshida Brothers - Rising - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondHunnu Guren - Batzorig Vaanchig & Auli - YouTube

• Top tags#video #Song #world #Norway #musicians #traditional #hope #god #sing #friends #dance #hello #movies #religion #youtube #Europe #jazz #children #Australia #films #lyrics #religious #DonaldTrump #death #reason #Atheist #church #wife #USA #earth #book #relationship #mother #parents #hell #Russian #sex #soul #Christian #kids #money #community #culture #holiday #Jesus #beliefs #dream #plays #poetry #atheism ...

Members 1,322Top