Agnostic.com
7 5

I’m still resentful of the fact that the majority of myopic Brits voted to Brexit us out of the EU…I thought it was wrong and a very ill-judged decision, and so far it has proved to be a complete disaster…however it’s no consolation being proved right in this case.

Beethoven’s Ode To Joy is the anthem of the EU, and regardless of us no longer being a member I’m rather partial to hearing it…this rather charming Flash-mob performance of it from Sabadell, Catalonia in Spain caught my fancy today…

Marionville 10 Aug 27
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have two big memories of this piece. The first was an actual performance by the Trier symphony in the Roman Amphitheater (It was a chance encounter on a warm summer day. It was a practice performance which, in the end was the full symphony. We reclined on the grass for this amazing performance. The 2nd was siting in our new home and watching the final portion of the Berlin come down and this was played.
Brexit was a stupid decision.

jackjr Level 7 Aug 29, 2023

The most stupid!

Just remember how many times the Christian Germans must have heard Schiller's poem in Ode to Joy on their radios. Then they supported Hitler's destruction of its neighbors and applied industrial means to murder those they deemed to be unwanted.

O friends, not these tones!
But let’s strike up more agreeable ones,
And more joyful.

Joy!
Joy!

Joy, beautiful spark of Divinity,
Daughter of Elysium,
We enter, drunk with fire,
Heavenly one, thy sanctuary!
Thy magic binds again
What custom strictly divided;
All people become brothers,
Where thy gentle wing abides.

Whoever has succeeded in the great attempt,
To be a friend’s friend,
Whoever has won a lovely woman,
Add his to the jubilation!
Yes, and also whoever has just one soul
To call his own in this world!
And he who never managed it should slink
Weeping from this union!

All creatures drink of joy
At nature’s breasts.
All the Just, all the Evil
Follow her trail of roses.
Kisses she gave us and grapevines,
A friend, proven in death.
Ecstasy was given to the worm
And the cherub stands before God.

Gladly, as His suns fly
through the heavens’ grand plan
Go on, brothers, your way,
Joyful, like a hero to victory.

Be embraced, Millions!
This kiss to all the world!
Brothers, above the starry canopy
There must dwell a loving Father.
Are you collapsing, millions?
Do you sense the creator, world?
Seek him above the starry canopy!
Above stars must He dwell

racocn8 Level 9 Aug 27, 2023

We know how logic and Christianity rarely seem to exist together…but it’s easy to understand how brainwashing works, we can see it with our own eyes & ears every day.

I both cases (Brexit &Trump) the GRU was instrumental in fielding propaganda and social media that swayed ignorant voters and the elections.

racocn8 Level 9 Aug 27, 2023

The rightwing media were only too eager to transmit it…

Magnificent

The song and this flashmob are favorites of mine, perhaps because they make me smile. Such happiness!

(ps - forgive the typo!)

Lauren Level 8 Aug 27, 2023

I never understood the reasoning behind that, & never will.

Love flash mobs, & enjoy the music to go with them.

Flash mobs are usually great fun!

About as dumb as us Yanks electing Trump and are considering it again. Both decisions have long lasting consequences.

Sierra4 Level 8 Aug 27, 2023

Yes…I do think half both our populations are arseholes…it’s like they belong to a completely different species of being!

The US won't survive another round of that lower than pond scum piece of sh.......!

@Lilac-JadeCanada
The world won't 😢

@LenHazell53 Unfortunately....And THAT pisses me off.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 15

Photos 63 More

Posted by FrayedBearNow the sanctions against Israel spread to the Euroschism Song contest.

Posted by FrayedBearA recording of an interesting broadcast on the subject of coffee by relatively well known but nonetheless superb Australian folk singer Kavisha Mazella

Posted by kocasYou will face a hurdle in the daily weaving game that you must overcome.

Posted by Zoewees[shp.ee] SALDO SHOPEE GRATIS LANGSUNG CAIR 2022

Posted by ReignmondIt is tough to find sharable music from The Oppossums Of Truth. There are 3 full albums of Scientific Gospel music here. [boomplay.com]

Posted by ReignmondIt is tough to find sharable music from The Oppossums Of Truth. There are 3 full albums of Scientific Gospel music here. [boomplay.com]

Posted by ReignmondIcelandic Folk Music - Tyrkjaránid - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondOk...how about this hauntingly beautiful opera aria? [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondOkay, let's just say this is not like K-pop....and let it go at that. I stumbled on them about 3 years ago. [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondAn Irish song in Gaelic with translation [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondThe song title translates to I Won't Give Up by Hungarian Alternative/Indie band Intim Torna Illegál (Intimate Gymnastics Is Illegal). [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondGet ready for some beautiful music. I have a couple albums by Heartstrings. Sometimes I play them in the office and it is quite popular. [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondJapanglish Song - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondAVA Opera - The Doll's Song from "Tales of Hoffmann" - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondYoshida Brothers - Rising - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondHunnu Guren - Batzorig Vaanchig & Auli - YouTube

• Top tags#video #Song #world #musicians #Norway #traditional #god #sing #hope #friends #dance #hello #movies #religion #youtube #Europe #jazz #children #Australia #films #lyrics #religious #DonaldTrump #death #reason #church #wife #Atheist #earth #book #USA #mother #parents #relationship #Russian #sex #hell #community #money #soul #Christian #kids #culture #holiday #dream #atheism #plays #Jesus #beliefs #laws ...

Members 1,330Top