Agnostic.com

77 17

I got into a discussion a few days ago with a religious person who had said, "everything happens for a reason." I then asked this person how they can explain the fact that hundreds of thousands of kids die from starvation every year in poor places in the world like Yemen and Somalia. I asked what the reason was that children die from famine if everything happens for a reason. They could not answer me. Living in different places in the world and seeing first hand how 'belief' causes apathy in people has really molded my thinking. What are your thoughts on the notion of 'everything happens for a reason?'

Ruetres 5 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

77 comments (76 - 77)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Karma lets Nature takes its course

"Karma" is just another word for a supernatural being/effect - it just means noone is really responsible for their actions, but someone/something else decides what happens to you. Not something I could ever believe in.

@Agnostic1 I know the whole Karma principal or whatever that s*** is

I agree, it is an apathetic thing to say and really cold hearted to say to someone who just lost a loved one.Nothing is certain in this world. The entire universe is conducted by organized chaos. cause and effect. If there were a god who plans out everything, then that god is an evil force and should not be admired, followed, or worshiped.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10012
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.