Agnostic.com

15 3

QUESTION Does living in a community with limited diversity affect our viewpoints?

If you spent much of your life in an small or rural communtiy, how have you gained the knowledge to expand your view?

Stacey48 8 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Viewpoints are what you make of them. it is not related to where you are rather what you desire to achieve. There have been POW"S that have written books and songs while they were held prisoner. This is a very limited community.

I grew up in a diverse community but now lived in a very culturally homogeneous one. It's tough and somewhat isolating because I don't have much patience for ignorance and it only reinforces my viewpoints. I just feel fortunate that I was open with my children (now grown) and that they are "woke."

Absolutely. It's exposure to other’s ideas, traditions, religions, heritage… that allow us to be ‘human’ in the first place. When you’re unable to recognize humanity in any other form than the one that looks and acts and thinks like you… you’re one-six-billionth of a person.

Truthfully, I moved.

Yes. it does dramatically.

I think it might if i was in such an area, where i live is very diverse tho

Some people say that you are the average of the 5 people you spend most of your time with. For a tribe, that means everyone is pretty much the same as everyone else, when it comes to beliefs. The internet has exploded all of that which is why atheism is skyrocketing.

Yes, I know that it does. When I was growing up in the city of Torrance California, where there was open collusion by real estate agents to keep blacks out of Torrance, the only exposure I got to African Americans was on TV and let’s face it if you are old enough to have lived in the 60’s/70’s the image that was portrayed of blacks was less than positive. I was a young man who was a bigot and a racist. I didn’t meet a black man until joined the Air Force at age 19. My perception of blacks changed after living with, work with, and serving with both stateside and overseas, black men as members of the USAF. It was an eye opener to be sure. When a black man bleeds red just like me, which goes along ways to educate you. I found that we are all men and brother in Air Force Blue. I came to grips with the fact that my relatives, friends and I was wrong. By living with different races Blacks, Hispanics and Asians I grew see “them” as people and fellow Airman. I see much clearer now. Sorry for going on so long but I wanted illustrate my point that “yes” it really does make a difference.

I grew up in a small town in the religious, racist, and politically extremely conservative bible belt of north Florida. Had I stayed there, I would definitely be a different person from the one I am today. My sister and her children who stayed there have very different beliefs from me.

@Stacey48 I left permanently at the age of 22. In many ways the journey away started at the age of 18, when I started college. Almost all of my adult life has been spent outside of that culture.

When I was young I always dreamed of going away to faraway places to observe, engage and exchange ideas, philosophy or friendship-join the peace corp. Im still that little person...and I still have a few places on my bucket list I would love to venture through. Traveling helped me to see beautiful terrain and beautiful waters...it also help me to understand that people are basically the same...we are one human family

@Stacey48 Sista friend I'm a gypsy by nature...spontaneity is second nature to me...I never planned many things...I just took flight a lot.

I've lived in so many different places and around so many different peoples. I am so grateful for these opportunities to learn and grow. However it's not a guarantee. I try to be open to new experiences and opportunities to make myself a better and more tolerant person. I'm decently sucessful at that but I've known way too many folks who continually squander any chance to learn that there are other ways of being. How about you? This is an excellent post but I'm curious to learn of your experiences.

Teams win...people find comfort amongst groups that reflects their value system, culture, or a means of climbing the social ladder of a dominant group in a location by affiliation. It takes a brave soul to move about in unfamiliar terrain and relax within who they are.

@Honey4Oshun Did you just call me brave? ?

@kmdskit3 indeed you are...

@Stacey48 Wonderfully said. ?

@Stacey48 Trying not to be too intrusive but because of the problems with messaging on this site just checking to see if you got my messages.

Threw television, word of mouth and since 16 years ago the internet

Definitely. People tend to stay in a bubble that reaffirms their opinions. I’ve been stunned by the blatant racism of close friends in regards to a race of people they’ve never even met.

Marz Level 7 June 6, 2018

Yes because pretty much everyone here is white..except on TV..and maybe radio..but I can't tell what colour they are on that.

What is white? What is Black? Social Construed political labels that reflects a people social position not their genetic origins...

@Honey4Oshun. We could do with a little more diversity here ...or people with different genetic origins.

@MARDUK ok yes this is there political motive since Constantine and the Nicea Creed gotcha! Ok. It's all about power, gold, and green ( land& power) versus black and white until 1600 amerika development ok.The main objective is classism that established it's bases on racism to create a planter class...

@MARDUK in our big dysfunctional family there are just as many people of other cultures engaged in this classism as the so-called "white" people. Classism put the brakes on the civil rights movement which should have evolved into human rights movement....

@Hitchens genetically everyone comes from east Africa then migrated east....

@Honey4Oshun I know my brother was Professor of Genetics at the Univercity of Chicago..he has schooled me quite thoroughly on the subject.

@Hitchens Wow! That's awesome! I learned from the old people, my DNA, and our historical journey in the new world. My formal education didn't prepare me totally for the complexities of my socio-political stance in the world....the chess game is a brilliant display of our positions in this arena...I love chess

You end up screwing yourself if you don't expand your mind!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:100424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.