Agnostic.com

15 11

Origin question?

I don’t understand why people insist that there must be a supernatural force that created the universe. If someone had to create the universe then who created the creator? It’s a never ending loop. I wish people would be okay with saying “I don’t know” instead of making up a story.

Nathan65 4 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would have an easier time believing that we are an alien experiment then the story of the bible!!

Andrew Level 2 June 10, 2018

But humans are reeeally good at making up stories, and they don't like admitting they don't know. The story answers a lot of questions for non-critical thinkers, and it's easy to remember and embellish. Claiming an unprovable connection to the creator of the universe is a path to power for a lot of humans, and that is hard to turn your back on.

zeuser Level 9 June 10, 2018

People find comfort in believing the fairy tale that life isn't "random"; that it was all planned and that their is a "purpose." They don't actually think about it - such as the infinite regression problem you bring up - they just "believe".

Even if they somehow proved that there was a "creator", they still haven't proved that it was even a "god", and they especially haven't proven that it is their specific brand of god that did the creating.

The insecurity of many humans gets the best of them. They feel lacking by simply saying, "I don't know" so they create some bullshit story that fits the parameters at the time. Only later does the story start to unravel.

Personally, I prefer to look at life as a "random" series of events. It makes things much more palatable when you are trying to understand why good things happen to "bad" people, and bad things happen to "good" people.

Oddly enough, I think it gives us more control, not less (as much as we can really have any control at all). We are responsible for our actions - not some boogie man hiding in the proverbial closet, or his evil counterpart hiding under our bed. Life has no "meaning" or "purpose" only that which we ourselves choose to give it...

Okay, I have rambled on long enough...

Well, really that's not how the theists' "First Cause" argument goes. It proposes rather that since there could not be such an an infinite regress of causes that there had to have been an "Uncaused Cause"--i.e., a "necessary being" which could not (and cannot) not-exist.

I agree. I don't know. No one does.

There is no evidence that gravity has not always been there. So your claim of emergence is unfounded.

There is a universal force that controls the universe. It is called gravity.

I thought gravity was an emergent force of the universe?

So where did the creator come from ? There must have been a Mommy and Daddy creators ?   Lol

No shit!

I stay away from having this conversation because it hurts my head - the question has no end - it would be like having to endure your dentist drilling into one tooth all day and night 7-days a week. I have a tendency not to walk towards anything that would cause me pain.

Things get really weird when talking about the origin of the universe because the Big Bang actually "created time" (as in, time and space are properties of the universe, not something that exists out of it; as the universe expands, it creates more space and time), thus talking of a "before" to the Big Bang is strange, to say the least. It's really a fascinating subject.

MarcO Level 5 June 10, 2018

Hi, Nathan, and welcome to the website,

You earn website points, and help other members get to know you better, when you write an informational profile that includes your hobbies and interests, and answer all the profile questions, since that's the first place many people look when they see a new member.

Also, the website uses your profile to find member matches, so the more details you include, the better the match.

Then you make comments and write your own posts to earn more points, and when you reach level two you can private email people. You get different perks with different levels, and when you reach level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

To find members near you, click on the "Meet" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Or click on the "About" button at the top of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Click on the 'Meet" button to find member matches

Links to FAQ: [agnostic.com],
and a website tutorial: [agnostic.com]

Have fun!

Ka-ching!

godef Level 7 June 10, 2018

What gets my goat about that is that the theist will say "ah, but the creator has always been there" yet will refuse to entertain that maybe there's a natural origin to our universe that may also have always been there — they throw out a misunderstood version of the Kalam cosmological argument and utterly fail to notice the double standard or to think one inch further than the answer that suits their preferred idea.

I agree! It is an unanswerable question! However, man will never stop seeking the answer...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:103410
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.