Agnostic.com

23 3

What's true love?

I have my own thoughts of what I think "True Love" is or what it means. Just curious what others say or think it is?

My answer is coming soon. Ladies first.
Gentleman, feel free to jump in also.

StarFarmer62 6 June 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

True love is caring for the other more than you care for yourself.

The way I feel about my daughter. The willingness to walk through fire for another person to keep them safe.

Love is a wonderful feeling. I love my girls. I love my animals. I have love to share with a life partner.

For a significant other, I think it's true, deep, and sustained adoration of someone's heart and mind. And until that is upon me, I will remain single. Our lives are too short and precious to settle for anything less.

I don't believe in "true love". I don't believe in "unconditional love".
That's just me though. I have no doubt you'll get all sorts of responses.
It's quite a subjective concept, so there will be as many definitions as
there are people defining it.

I have no real problem describing love for close family, friends, and pets. True love in the romantic sense, no clue anymore.

oh no....true love is self love otherwise you really have nothing to offer.

For me true love is when you do not hesitate to put another first. When you see something and one of the first thoughts are " Wow, blank would love that.". When you want to spend time with them just to see there smile.

My definition of "True Love". Love is a very simple word that is very complex in meaning. Love consists of honesty, respect, desire, caring, and patients. Love has a different meaning for every individual.

True love is a warm lap for a cold bum.

A question for poets and philosophers so should be best answered with a poem:
"What is True Love? If love is an action, Where does it start? If love is a feeling, Does it come from the heart? If love is a promise, What does it really mean? Without action, Can it truly be seen? If love is in the eye, Can we envision its splendor? If love is in the voice, Can we hear it soft and tender? If love can be bought, What is its true price? Will it have endurance, And the quality to entice? If love is in the heart, Is it a flame within? If love is a game, Is there something to win? If love is a person, Who may it be? He that acts from the heart, And does it for free". - Bjørn O. Wastvedt, 2017

I think, true love is that, between two persons which uphold each other to grow, to develop, to achieve their dreams and be useful for community, one place full of respect, love, full of confidence, truthfulness full of communication, full of harmony.. True love will not choose to hurt you.

When we truly love someone even our children, we put their NEEDS above our own. It is not an emotion but a conscious choice we make to be committed to their well being and never ever walk away from them. I truly love my daughter but I felt hatred towards her sometimes, same thing with some of my siblings. Sometimes it is very painful to love them but nothing can ever make me walk away from them permanently. I kicked my daughter out once (at age eighteen) and moved out of my home twice so a sibling could stay there and we could maintain a relationship that did not include taking advantage of me on a daily basis.
Love is letting them be and setting boundaries for ourselves but it allows the other person their own choices and empowers the other person. We can say we love someone but if we cannot live without them then who is it we are "loving"? Ourselves or them? They say "If you love something set it free, if it comes back to you it is yours, if not it never was." I say even if it comes back it is not yours, it is it's own free will bringing it back not ownership or control. Let them go, let them go and let them go again and when and if they do come back be grateful they chose you to return to. That to me is love.

I don't know about the "true" part. The most intense feeling of love I have is for my grandchildren. I feel like all the love I felt for my children, my parents and grandparents have rolled up into an enormous ball of love for my grandchildren. I see bits of all of my loved ones represented in the grandbabies, and the affection is overwhelming. For other, non-related people, I fear we really only love a reflection of ourselves. We want someone with the same values and beliefs, who laughs at the same things and chases the same goals. Alternately, I find I dislike people more who have the same flaws I perceive in myself.

Only if I knew...

Oh you're funny.....

Like a rock

Love is a little blue light I see when I am sticking bits of metal together. People, love, and I have never seemed to combine.

I remember reading about George Michael and his relationship with the love of his life, who died prematurely. George Michael said it was the first time he ever loved anyone selflessly. He wrote 'Jesus To A Child' for him.

It's a good name for a movie.

I do not believe "true love" exists.

Is it a kind of cake...?

True love is a thing I can't quite put into words, because the feeling is too profound.

Putting the needs of another above your own. You quickly find reasons to withdraw it. ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:103705
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.