Agnostic.com

7 0

Where do you think we came from before we were born?

We spend so much time debating whether or not there is an afterlife, but it just as fascinating to think about where we came from before this. Any thoughts?

n8harris 4 June 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great replies! I just wanted to spur a discussion 🙂

We came from floating around in an amniotic fluid sac called a womb.

You are what your mother ate while pregnant. Once able to choose what food you eat and grow with you are what you eat. You can be nothing else. Each life form has the potential to grow beyond what you eat. Most don't. I'm a cheeseburger.

xyz123 Level 7 June 12, 2018

Well, according to my dad we were at a picnic.

🙂

It is not productive to request others to speculate. It is only productive to investigate.

I don't recall any past lives. I'd be horrified to find there is such a thing; although it would explain how life can seem like its own hell sometimes.

Einstein showed that all matter is a form of energy, including humans, so since energy can neither be created nor destroyed, we have always existed and will always exist in some energy form, and quantum physics already proves that multiple dimensions exist.

There could be reincarnation, for that matter, as research done on children around the world ages 2-6 who remember past lives shows that their past life memories are accurate.

"For us believing physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Einstein.

What makes you "you" is not the mere existence of matter, anymore than the fact you consist mostly of water, makes you an ocean. What matters is the particular and very specific organization of matter and energy.

While basic natural law assures you that the matter and energy in your body will survive in some form, it also pretty much guarantees it won't be YOUR form.

Einstein's statement is taken out of context here. He was talking about the block universe theory. While he kindly riffed on this to comfort a grieving widow, it's anyone's guess whether the equal ontological footing for all times and places means "you" get to navigate around in that. Clearly you can't do so now; I'm suspicious that you can conveniently for some reason do it just because (even, especially because) you're dead.

@mordant Physics shows that there is no time or space except in our minds, that things can exist and not exist at the same time, that energy particles bounce in and out of this universe, and you are ignoring all the research on past lives I mentioned. You sound like a troll.

Plus, both my sister and I were born remembering past lives, and afterward I remembered seven more. I googled some of the major incidents I remembered and the details were accurate.

@birdingnut I'm no troll. I just don't happen to agree with you. I have not attacked you -- and I most certainly haven't attacked you personally. So don't try to make it personal. I'm talking about ideas, not calling you an idiot -- which you clearly aren't. These are just conversations.

If you don't want to pursue this conversation, we can stop. If you do, you can start by addressing my actual points before moving on to more anecdotes.

@mordant You ignored my points, so your points don't make sense. Yes, you are a troll

Cells formed by a random sperm and egg.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:104785
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.