Agnostic.com

10 1

LINK Saudi Arabia to 'inoculate' children against Westernisation, atheism and liberalism | The Independent

It states that Saudis must be brought up on the basis of Islamic faith and that the state will accordingly strive to maintain the country’s Arab and Islamic values and “protect Islam”.

The constitution stipulates that education will “aim at instilling the Islamic faith in the younger generation” and mould children to be “useful” in society.

Human rights organizations have long raised alarm over Saudi Arabia’s repression of liberal thought with prosecutions and arrests, including the imprisonment and lashing of secular blogger Raif Badawi.

zblaze 7 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They have been doing this for decades......must be a slow news day? (Not!)

Yup. Those are our "allies". This is exactly what the evangelicals like Pence want to do here in the USA.

It reveals a lack of faith, so they are clearly atheists posing as believers. Real believers trust God to bring the next generation to him for himself, and that the true God will win out over any rivals in that process.

Posing is just like pretending. All believers are pretending, most do not realize that they are.

Oh so you are deciding what real believers believe. Pahlease!

Sounds a bit like what Texas public schools are teaching in social studies. Aaaargh!

Sounds like a mirror image of a Trump policy.

Livia Level 6 June 13, 2018

"Mould children to be useful in society", hmm, I'm not so convinced about that one. In fact the whole approach smells of a control fantasy by people at the top. Rather than trying to make it the best place possible for all, putting all that oil wealth to good use, it seems to be going down a dark path.

Denker Level 7 June 13, 2018

Any country that forces a particular religion on people is evil.

Yup, they are talking about something akin to fascism. Faith, work, the restriction of ideas, absolute authority and aggression are part of the themes of fascist doctrine.

It's all about control and politicians who have little substance use religion to gain credibility. One only need look to tRump to see this at work. Too bad it is not so easy here.

@jorj Unfortunately, politics today are mainly about choosing the lesser of evils.I liked Obama and he has been rated one of our best presidents. The reality is that in our uber expanding numbers job creation is the no. 1 priority for politicians. No one will vote for anyone who is out of work. Also, with our super "diversity" we have other cultures and languages thrown in the mix. A recent Atlantic article [theatlantic.com] shows just how difficult this job is.
My comment was not about a single leader or culture (The Middle East and Asia are also guilty of pushing religion) because many places push religion as a way to keep people docile. Saudi Arabia is changing albeit slowly. Also, I did not take the long comment personaly but it only reflects your feelings. I worked a poling station for years and time and time again people felt they had to vote even if they had little knowledge of the issue/person. We would tell them if unsure don't vote. Too often we are victims of what I call the coin toss vote mentality.

I fear the USA is heading in the same direction with christianity at an alarming rate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:105549
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.