Agnostic.com

22 7

Do You Have A Close Friend Or BFF You Can Count On Through Good Times And Bad Times?

How many of you all are fortunate enough to have a best friend or "BFF" in your life that you can count on through
good times and bad times?

I am not a huge fan of Tyler Perry and his "Madea" character but i recently viewed one of his plays and i love the comparison the character makes between relationships and a tree.

A. Leaves: The person who enters your life for a season and are not meant to be a permanent fixture in your life. They are there to take from the Tree and provide shade. When the wind blows, they go this way, or that way and eventually
disappear.

B. Branches: The person who is in your life that makes you believe they are good supportive friend, but when you lean on them too hard with your problems, they snap and break away like branches from a tree and disappear from your life.

C. Roots: The person you can count on Through good and bad. No matter what happens, this person "ain't going no where" and will always be there for you! These are true friends and people you should keep in your life.

Do you have a friend in your life, that is like the root of a tree, and a friend you can count on no matter what?

twshield 8 June 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am extraordinarily lucky enough to have several.
My "roots" run decades deep. I am a lucky woman.

@twshield Thank you for saying that. Awfully nice of you. However, only "cool" can recognize "cool". 😉

Lucky indeed

I believe I do have a bff in my wife.

EdEarl Level 8 June 13, 2018

I've several.and I return that level of friendship.

I had a couple of them, but they died. This is one of the worst things about getting older, outliving the people you love.

yes lucky to have one for the past 10 years. I have had 2 others but they have passed away

btroje Level 9 June 13, 2018

Yes, both friend and family.

I also have several. Most of them are from childhood/high school. It’s much harder to develop this kind of deep friendship as we get older I think. But I’ve become friends with someone I met in my local humanism group, and I’m pretty certain she’s a root too. ?

My wife and son.

Yes, I have a small group of friends that are very close. We have known each other for over 45 years and get together regularly. We have been there through it all.

I used to have some really close friends until we all moved away got married and settled down...so eventually lost touch..I have friends at work..drinking buddies..great neighbours..all of those friends...but the friends I really miss are the "stand by me" friends that I grew up with ..the guys I shared my formative years with..through all the exhilarating wonders and terrors of the bootcamp of youth.

My root branch is my older brother..we are very close ..always have been..always will be..

@twshield Is so very final when a dear friend dies..no one in my life as close as you and your friend has passed on..my childhood buddy was Padraig Harrington the professional Golfer..we drifted apart as he got more and more involved in the sport..now he is living the dream jet-setting around the world.. We bump into each other from time to time when he comes back to Ireland..but it's not the same now..different lives ..

I am rooted in community. I stopped looking for BFF years ago and shy away from that. I prefer to be without the constraints of the BFF. Rather, I like having a few good friends, people that have my back and whom I can call on but sometimes we're unavailable and we respect that. And beyond that, I have a larger circle of neighbors and friends whom are also available in a pinch, amusing and engaging and I don't always share my deepest thoughts with, but, there's mutual respect and comradery. I like my individuality and sense of community the way it is without the need for a BFF.

Never have had any friends like number two or three. I have grown very accustomed to being alone

My BFF is who I met up with in Chicago for my concert. He is there for my good times and bad. He has proven himself to be A, B, and C for me. I am very lucky.

JK666 Level 7 June 25, 2018

yes I do - he is awesome - about as insecure as me and very kind as I hope I am to him too.

jacpod Level 8 June 24, 2018

Yes i do

My girlfriend is without doubt the best friend I have ever had and our mutual female friend comes a close second!

Pete66 Level 6 June 18, 2018

Yes. My best friend since l was 14.

I still have mine. Mine are all of the same gender as me, and I would love to find a soul mate of the opposite sex that I could trust in that same way.

JK666 Level 7 June 17, 2018

Did have, he died in 2009

yes although I am not in touch with many of them as I moved away accross a sea but just knowing that they are around is good enough for me - When I get depressed my partner /best friend is always there for me in an understanding way .

jacpod Level 8 June 15, 2018

I have a handful of friends who are roots for me as I have been for them.... perhaps most valuable relationships in my life.

A male friend. Yes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:105978
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.