Agnostic.com

29 3

Do men need 'sexual harassment' training? Agree? Disagree?

'As a man, on behalf of men, speaking with the full power and authority of the patriarchy at my back, let me just say: We don’t need sexual harassment training.' Shawn Vestal

• 11 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 18 votes
Maya405 7 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We don't need sexual harassment training, we need good parenting. We need gender neutral schools and education. We need to stop teaching the next generation that boys and girls are different in any way that matters. When they get to dating and all that, fine, things start to matter, but there's a wonderful infographic that points out how retarded it is to divide toys by gender. I think if we stop teaching children to separate people off as "the other" things will become more inclusive and society will become better for all. We need to change the world. Trying to educate grown men is a fools errand. We need to protect grown women and educate the young.

Totally agree with you. We also need to teach boundaries. For women we sadly need to show them that setting boundaries is normal, and if she says "No" that's what it means, no explanation required. Men need to understand that a refusal is not an invitation to disregard those boundaries. I am saying men and women, as majority of sexual crimes attributes to men, and women are the victims, but of course this also applies to male sexual victims. Ironically, in those cases most perpetrators are also men. It's a sad and scary place, but maybe one step at a time would do the trick.

Ok. So where do we go for those whose parents did not (and still do not) acknowledge that women ought to be treated as full members of the human race? Remembering that, in Australia at least, there were still specifically discriminatory laws until 1984. That enculturation won't just vanish overnight. Weinstein et. al. are being outed because we now have enough people coming through who've learnt that it's not acceptable. They've been taught by folk who've gone through 'sexual harassment ' training. Equally people of good will need to know what is, and is not sexual harassment to avoid the very damaging false claims. A false claim will set this cause back further than many claims upheld will advance it.

@RobAnybody The only sexual harassment training I've received was through the military and it does little to change things other than attempting to nullify the "I didn't know better" defense. Perhaps other intervention and training exists that would be effective, but from what I've seen, I consider the older generation lost and feel our responsibility is to the next. I feel terrible saying that there is little to nothing we can do for my generation's women, but I really feel it's almost a lost cause at this point. Considering how we elected Trump and how Roy Moore almost won as well, I just feel like it's a lost cause. We need to focus on the next generation. We need the Weinstein's of the world to die.

@DJVJ311 Well I'm glad you consider me "lost". As you note, the only sexual harassment training you've received is from one of the most conservative, patriarchal organisations our society has produced. They are that way for good reason, and are slowly changing for equally good reason (the definition of conservative really). What they are not is leaders in the understanding of the power imbalances between men and women. I think most men are decent folk and when shown how their behaviours hurt others will, not necessarily without complaint, try to change. The better sexual harassment courses are more than a list of don'ts, they will address the uncomfortable subject of male privilege. It needs formal addressing because "privilege" is a REALLY crap word to use in describing the situation, but it's the one we have that best fits. So it requires a large amount of very careful explanation from people who already get it to produce an understanding of what it actually means. You may understand privilege from your own life, many do not and so need the training. And yes, privilege does tie directly into harassment. What reasonable person would harass if they understood just how wrong it is? That lack of understanding is a result and an example of privilege.

@RobAnybody if you are over 30 and molesting people you are a lost cause . If you are over 30 and not molesting people, maybe even standing up for people, you are sadly on the leading edge of change. I consider myself on that leading edge. Roy Moore and Weinstein... Kevin Spacey and Donald Trump... you have training for them? I’m sorry if I sound jaded, but my point is that our focus has to be the next generation... the malleable young.... and it has to be, as you said, about “privilege “ but before it is privilege, it is “otherness.” We need to teach boys and girls to stand with each other and for each other and to see themselves in every person they meet.

@DJVJ311 I am over fifty and have modified my own behaviour in light of what I have learnt. Sexual harassment is much more than "molesting people". I'm a large, very strong man with military experience. I ran theatre crews much as I would a platoon of young male soldiers. It got the job done, BUT women found the environment that created very intimidating. Some responded by becoming more aggressive, others withdrew. Both those outcomes are suboptimal in a theatrical environment. My organisation then sent me on sexual harassment courses (plural). They did so not because I was fondling my colleagues, I would a) have been out on my arse had I done that, b) I was treating them all equally badly, I'd never have fondled one of my soldiers so I was not about to fondle my crew. They did so because I was creating an environment women particularly, and many young men found intimidating. I did not do this out of malice, I did it because I was "mission focussed". The courses helped change that. At the time they felt like punishment for doing nothing more than making sure the work happenned. The stars you mention are the extreme end of harassment, very powerful men knowingly abusing that power. Those types are now being brought low, as they ought. But there's a whole spectrum of harassment behind that leading to their obscene degree of entitlement. That too needs addressing, and doing so by bringing down the same hammer would be utterly disproportionate. (Anecdote by way of illustration)

@RobAnybody I am glad you had programs to explain that for you, but that anecdotal situation doesn’t match my anecdotal situation at all and anecdotal evidence goes only so far when offered to others. My boss has no military experience and the hostile environment he creates isn’t really a “sexual” issue, and being military I write it off, but he could probably use “harassment training” of some sort, so perhaps it is time for some general harassment and hostile worker environment training programs.

@DJVJ311 The best sexual harassment courses deal with the general harassment and bullying precisely because the latter enables the former. The culture of entitlement which condones bullying also gives rise to sexual harassment.

Preserving scarce resources makes your remarks most strategic but crime prevention demands adult perpetrators be warned and trained how to conduct themselves lawfully

Other.

It should be addressed in school classrooms to both boys and girls during contraception/sex ed classes.

Agree, its not just men that need this, women as well.

@Funeralgirl Yes, while both men and women are capable of sexual harassment to either sex, more often than not it's women who are the victims.
They should be taught at a young age to recognize when it happens to them and to speak up about it immediately.

@Paul628 And to recognise when it is not happening. False claims are deeply damaging to the cause of reducing sexual harassment (even when they're prosecuted under malicious claims laws).

Sex ethics begins with vocabulary training with toddlers beginning @ toilet training age and train parents changing diapers not to show bigotry

@Funeralgirl women need to be rewarded for reporting without fear of retaliation and perpetrators need to cooperate with training rather than entrench in denials. ...egregious cases are cause for dismissal and financial penalties

^^^This^^^ It needs to be addressed in sex ed at the very least.

Yes, I have an 11 yr old son and I have been talking to him about consent and the need to keep his hands to himself since he could understand. It is imperative that we teach males how patriarchy and their entitlement as men has led to what is happening in the world today as far as sexual harassment goes.

Haven't read it in quite a while but my mother loaned me her copy of "Every Mother's Son" by Judith Arcana. It had some good stuff that helped us both.

@kmdskit3 I will look for that. I am always looking for ways to improve my parenting.

@Ruetres Like I said it's been many years but a few things from it have stuck with me. Talking about it is making me want read it again. 🙂 If you read it I would be curious to hear your opinion.

@kmdskit3 I will be sure to give you some feedback..

No. I don't think that most man need sexual harassment training, as they really already know what it is. I think that what is needed is stricter enforcement..

@MsOliver On the contrary, I know many men, some of them well spoken and extremely polite, who could do with sexual harassment training. These men quite literally cannot see that what they are doing is wrong. They're being polite, the women are giggling so they must enjoy it, right? These blokes aren't hateful leering slobs, they're honest decent men who have been brought up in an environment where their behaviour is normal and acceptable. Their wives and girlfriends have been brought up in the same traditions and share their views. You may as well ask a fish about water as prosecute these men. In fact prosecution is more likely to produce foaming-at-the-mouth MRAs than any useful change.

@RobAnybody If you think sexual harassment training is going to change that behavior and culture, you are dead wrong. If it is as deeply embedded in the culture as you assert, the practice will perpetuate itself unless it becomes abundantly clear that there WILL be a price to pay.

@wordywalt I have seen it do so. Not by itself, but in concert with enforcement. Your original post assumes that all men have the social background to understand that what they are doing is wrong. They don't. Just as misogyny is a learnt behaviour so is its opposite. Simply punishing the ignorant will only produce more MRAs and those apologists of whom MsOliver erroneously assumes I am one.

Not all men.

Sexual harassment is repugnant for all. You don’t need training to see that. Just hold men/women accountable for their actions and refuse to hide them.

Many (most?) men, myself included, do not "see that". You don't have to be a leering, slobbering creep to sexualy harass women in particular. Why women in particular? Systemic power imbalance. Yes men can be sexualy harassed, but it is far less likely because of the power imbalances built into our society. Not least, and this is my personal point of failure, is sheer physical strength. That's an imbalance for which we're just going to have to compensate legislatively as it's not going away. I don't know how you approach your day, but unless I'm reminded I rarely think about the disparity between my strength and that of my colleagues, particularly the women. The women, however, assure me that, even though they know and trust me, the awareness never quite goes away. Just making men aware that they are MUCH stronger than most of the women they meet, and that this disparity is slightly threatening would be one positive outcome. If you think this is not true, explain the prevalence of prison rape jokes.

Unfortunately, not everyone learned how consent works, so yes, men need sexual harassment training.

I think most men just need to learn how to respect others, be it sexually or otherwise. If you establish that early on, as a basic human belief, the rest just falls into place

And for those who do not get early training there are sexual harassment courses.

I don't think they do. I think they need to understand what it means to be "human."
Most men see women as something "other." A toy. They don't realize that women are human: and only when men are taught to see women as human beings, will they understand how to treat them. This goes back to our Victorian ideologies brought about by a misogynist (Paul) who used "god" to try and devalue women and make them second-class citizens.

And it's worth remembering that we only ditched the explicitly discriminatory laws in the last fifty years, including stuff which originated with Richard the Third.

Both men and women need the training.

On a couple different jobs, we had sensitivity training for all employees. It opened up some very helpful dialog among us.

Men and women need sexual harassment training based on our country's laws. Incest is prevalent in isolated and dysfunctional (like alcoholism) families. Those children have not been taught the correct "line" that should not be crossed.

I voted other as I believe that everybody needs to know what constitutes sexual harassment and the ability to combat it wherever it occurs.

We need to move away from the culture where those in power have the ability to impose their will on others with impunity and allow those who have been wronged to make their case without fear of retribution.

I have managed predominantly female teams, and have had to deal with so many issues from guys being totally out of line, I have counseled some, sacked a couple and when I was quite young, flattened a guy senior to me, on 2 occasions 2 years apart. Some years later he was arrested for harassing an undercover police woman. I have many young female friends,1/2 my age, and they are continually copping sexual harassment at work, and even now their careers suffer when they complain, in fact I am awaiting a visitor who has taken up a job overseas because of this very problem on her last job. This girl is no bimbo she has both scientific and business qualifications, she is always most professional in her conduct.

Everyone, both genders, could benefit from training. What would be good is if we taught young boys better ways to interact with girls so that they learn at a better age how to behave. Then one day maybe no one needs training

Yes, unless you think hollywood movies provide enough education on how to treat women.

Marz Level 7 Dec 26, 2017

No. Most civilized men know right from wrong. What they need is swift and sure punishment

Bollocks. What is now wrong was perfectly acceptable (and in some places still is) not very long ago. Your asking people to adjust their childhood training with no assistance or support. If they fail to do so you will punish them. What a wasteful approach. First you have the victim who at the very least has had their day disrupted by an unneeded incident. Then you have the perp who a) doesn't quite understand why he's being punished b) will have at least his day, if not his career blighted by the incident. Then there's the time HR and Management have to invest in sorting it out, and if your in a small enough workplace those two may be the one person. Then you have the lingering resentments and suspicions the incident creates. All this can be avoided by a short course in not-being-a-chimp. As to being civilised, listen to some seventies rock. The lyrics give you a very good idea of the sexual harassment mores of the time. Many of us in the workplace had our formative years in the seventies. Just assuming we kept up is a recipe for disaster.

@RobAnybody I suppose I overestimate people, but I assumed most people's childhood training included not grabbing at other people. But you are right that some people are clueless but I don't agree that someone that tone deaf could be changed, or convinced, by a two hour course at work.

@Benmonk Harassment, and the teachings that deal with it, covers far more than simply "grabbing at other people". It can be as unintended as a big bloke intruding into a small woman's personal space. He doesn't need to be prosecuted or condemned for this, he just needs to stop doing it. Most men will stop, IF they are made aware of it. A course by an outside person is a neutral way of making the bloke aware of his behaviour. This takes the pressure off the woman and avoids any resentment that a direct confrontation or report through the boss might generate.

@RobAnybody And not very incidentally, avoids complaints on the bloke's permanent record.

@Benmonk I blocked @RobAnybody weeks ago so I am not surprised other Atheists want him behind our WALL unwelcome to visit from DOWN UNDER sexist bigotry sucks I have zero tolerance for perpetrators of any kind

In the 70s I worked in rock n' roll radio and endured lines like "there's only one position for a woman in a radio station--flat on her back." In the 80s I worked for powerful real estate developers and it was worse! Truth is, sexual harassment should be judged on comfort level. What I think is friendly teasing might be harassment to you--and vice versa. If it makes your skin crawl, that's harassment! If you're uncomfortable, someone is harassing you!

I worked at Iowa Civil Rights Commission and I can precisely define hostile work environment and unwanted sexual communication in workplace chains of command. ...the cure for non-compliance with law includes sensitivity training for all in the company including vendors visiting routinely there. ...a grocery store must prominently place sexual harassment policy enforcement posters for all to read including the Pepsi or egg delivery person who wants to grab the pussy of a cashier

Of course we do. As long as these inequitable gender roles exist (in every society BTW) none of us are immune to this destructive behavior. And it needs to be reinforced for all of us from the cradle to the grave. I include myself in this because it is always SO easy to backslide.

We need a power restructuring. We need to do away with hierarchies (that would be in a perfect world). It's all about who's on top (pardon the pun).

Yeah, we men can use a lesson in this, but you ladies can stop dating the asshole giving you the harassment.

Some men absolutely do, though there are many men that would not be changed by sexual harassment training. I consider myself a liberal and progressive male, open-minded and not aggressive at all and though I don't believe I need sexual harassment training, there might be something to gain from taking such a class.

You'd probably get a lot from it. What do you do when you're walking behind a woman on a dark street? It's not direct sexual harassment, but if you continue to walk behind her, and worse get closer, you're probably making her very nervous.

Rob... walking behind a woman in a dark alley is not really SEXUAL harassment. Yes, it might make her nervous. If two men followed YOU down a dark alley you might be nervous too. So might I. In that scenario, it's best not to walk down dark alleys alone regardless of your gender.

I completely don't need it as I don't impose myself on a woman like that. I am ashamed to be male when I hear some stories woman tell me and I'm very open and broad-minded about most things if asked. some woman are in need of some training too. I remember going around a mates and his ex-wife was there. she walked straight up to me and cupped my gentlemen parts in her hand.

There are certainly some people out there who could use sexual harassment training. Mostly focused on the meaning of no and why things like "Hey nice ass!" are not appropriate things to say to total strangers regardless of who they are.

Oh, come on. I've never been accused of sexual harassment, even playfully. I know that's just me, but I have been raised well enough to respect everyone. If I'm attracted to someone, at MOST, I'll steal a sneaky glance or two, because it can't hurt to look. I won't make it blatant, though.

You don't need an accusation to harass. You don't even need to consciously harass someone to make them feel uncomfortable with you. One of the things many men take from sexual harassment training is a better awareness of the systemic power imbalance between men and women, and for most of us a better awareness of just how much our greater physical size and strength ( a generalisation, but mostly true) is intimidating. Just of itself, not attached to any behaviours.

I think we need open discussion on what is uncomfortable in the work place. People have 'social contracts' of what they can do within their cliques/groups and must be aware that they cannot do these behaviors outside their cliques/groups. And that these behaviors can come back to bite you in the ass in the future.

@macrobius Yep. However people can and do confuse the two. I agree with every part of your statement.

People are not necessarily aware that those behaviours are unacceptable outside their groups. If a person is raised to think it is fine they need to be educated, not punished, into the legal requirements. Better to make the lines clear before anything happens.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10758
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.