Agnostic.com

6 2

To build and improve a society it requires an effort of people and businesses working together. The decline of virtually every society in all of history is almost always marked by the rise of a culture of greed, where every person only looks out for themselves and their own interests.

Business prospers when society prospers. When societies decline and/or fail, businesses fold.

The above was originally my response to a poll on this site about the responsibilities of business and whether or not they had any responsibility other than to maximize profits for their share holders. I thought it was worth putting into a general discussion.

snytiger6 9 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You need to strike a balance. You need to incentivize innovation and investment but penalize exploitation, hoarding, and abuse. You also need strong social programs that guarantee equality of opportunity so that everyone has the chance to innovate and invest.

Mike drop.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Actual stastics show that if you take a random sample of 10,000 persons from the top 1%, you woud lfind that less than six earned their way there, and the rest were born into wealth. The ideas that anyone can make their fortune, or that working hard will ensure you get ahead are very much more myths than reality in the U.S. today.

Yes, upward mobility is virtually nonexistent in the United States. The balance I hope for has not been reached. The penalties for exploitation, hoarding, and abuse aren't there and the social programs aren't strong enough to offset disadvantages of birth. Never suggested otherwise.

When I think of the fall of a civilization I first think of the fall of Rome. Greed, debauchery and moral decline were the reasons for its fall. One of my favorite movies is"A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Forum." Maybe that is going on with tRUMP and the Republicans in Washington.

I believe that, as a whole, European businesses have a much greater sense of social responsibility than American businesses do today. The growing greed of American business culture today is frightening.

that's the human selfish gene well all creatures really but humans at the moment have so much power over the thin skin of life on this rock called earth.

Oh yeah. When the haves piss the have nots off enough, out comes the guillotines. We need both haves and have nots working 'together' to make a society hold. Achievers and want-to-be achievers and worker bees all comfortable in their space. What we have here is overt exploitation of the masses and just removing a few rotten apples doesn't seem enough of a solution...the barrel may have spoiled.

I'm having a problem with my deleting on this site..or maybe I just type more and it is a keyboard problem....words keep getting left in when I delete...

When I type a comment and see mistakes I copy (Ctrl + C) then delete and then paste (Ctrl + V) and start again.

@Skyfacer I free form almost all my posts...try not to edit much unless I see an error...but man, sometimes I go back and see that I changed thought in mid sentence...haha...I may have to adopt your approach....

I think there are a few countries who are already doing what you suggest and are great illustrations on how well that system works.

SamL Level 7 Dec 26, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10767
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.