Agnostic.com

30 5

Am I living a total lie`

So I'm a Scoutmaster for the boy scouts, and go to church every Sunday.... but i don't believe in a God, I feel most religious people are a little week and looking for something to blame on reality besides reality, I act like i believe and go to church with my mom because it makes her happy and i have to act like i believe in order to be involved with scouting, one of the requirements is to believe in a God. Am i doing a favor to myself and others to pretend while quietly not believing so i can still be around the people i care about and participate in the organization i love or not?

bmtruett 3 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wrestled with a very similar situaion.

Ultimately, I reasoned the good I was doing by being there and participating far outweighed anyd imaginary "evil" that could hypothetically be construed.

And even if it all came crashing down, the good I did would STILL outweigh whatever harm they might imagine I'd done. I don't usually think I know better than others what's good for them, but in this case I definitely did.

It took some soul-searching and some equilibration, but I finally got comfortable with it.

Good is still good, even if some are deluded into thinking it's not. And if they never know....?

Sure, it's kind of dishonest, but that's beside the point. You have to pretend because there's so much discrimination against non-theists and you'd be forced to give up specific organizational involvement in your community otherwise. And if going to church with your mother is what it takes to make her happy, so be it. So long as you're not resentful of being forced into this faux belief, I don't see a lot of harm. With that said, there are some secular alternatives to Boy Scouts that you might be interested in researching:

[mnn.com]

there's a saying in the south "Bless their heart" ...it has nothing to do with religion, but is very pertinent to your question. "Bless their Heart" is a passive-aggressive sarcastic comment that means.."The poor dears...they are so____. We feel sorry for them." That is a common attitude for people who have to deal with others they don't agree with. If you care about them as people...it can just be a philosophy you can have that keeps you honest with yourself.

IDK? I guess what they don't know won't hurt them because they are the parties actually acting foolish and not really thinking it all through correctly!! Blinded by who or what they want to be.

why in the world do the boy scouts require one to believe in a god? do they care which one? why does it have to be a church? are there no jewish boy scouts?

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10834
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.