Agnostic.com

68 9

Do we have a purpose in life?

I've been reading a book called Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life. It's an interesting book that looks at Okinawa, the place where there are more centenarians than anywhere else.

On the north side of the island, a town called Ogimi boasts the highest life expectancy in the world. So, they researched what sets these people apart. Of course, they eat well, have a good social network, regularly drink green tea... but another factor remained called Ikigai. That is having a purpose in life. In Japanese culture, work is considered a very important part of life- and finding the right work that matches skills and interests is Ikigai.

To them, you do not make your purpose in life. You find it. So, do you think Ikigai exists? A purpose in life, that each person has, and is meant to discover?

silvereyes 8 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments (51 - 68)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You have asked the question. It has been asked since humans have had the ability to think. below are some ideas from a few recent great thinkers. I would say purpose is perception.

"It is not what we expect from life, but rather what life is expecting from us." -Frankl
"Mans unique opportunity lies in the way in which he bears his burden." -Frankl
"I have but one hope, that I am able to be worthy of my suffering" -Dostoevski
"There is no truth, there is only you and what you make the truth" -Oberst
"Measurement is everything. At the quantum level, reality does not exist if you are not looking at it," -physicist Andrew Truscott
"The purpose of life is to make the person next to you happy" -Tolstoy
"to wake up in the morning and not be sad" -Musk
“Don't aim for success, but rather dedicate yourself to someone other than yourself and success will come as a result” - Frankl

I would recommend "Man's Search for Meaning" Viktor Frankl

“Some lived for family, others for work that they felt needed to be completed, others religion, then there were those who had no reason that they could find for living. These were the ones who died in the camps first.” - Man's search for meaning Viktor Frankl

True, the one's that make a career out of Government welfare, live 20 years less. The main purpose is to Survive first and then your closer to singing your song in life too.

Your purpose is what you manifest.

It is innate for human nature to feel a need to answer such a question, but no one knows.

in all honestly life hasnt much perpise . we live we die we hopefully pass on our genes they live thwy die they pass on there gene the cycle continues. however getting into science i find human evelution extrodinary . seeing technology advance health getting better all the great pleasures in life im actually having a good time here and dreading the end of it. find what has meaning to you and enjoy life while you can is my motto.

Biologically, yes. Cosmically, no.

Varn Level 8 Dec 26, 2017

All human beings have purpose, whether it’s found purpose or purpose that has been hunted. We are all doing exactly what we’re supposed be doing when we’re supposed to be doing it.

The way it is phrased clouds the issue. Hark back to one of my mottoes in life: Do what you love and you'll always love what you do. You may call that Ikigai if you wish, but it is a simple notion and the results of following it are self evident. Doing what you love to do rarely places any stress in the psyche and that can only translate to less stress on the body, hence a chance at a long and fulfilling life. Mine has been interrupted by an illness that has nothing to do with stress, diet, blah blah blah, but I remain happy with what I am doing and where it is taking me. No fate, faith, or Ikigai to blame. Just doing what I love.

"Purpose" is another one of those subjective issues. I don't believe it can be defined uniformly or universally. Each person must identify it for themselves. Or not. I don't particularly agree that we all "need" purpose. Then again, I've never been much of a fan of societal norms or labels. I tend to push back against such things. If there's a trend, I'll buck it. If everyone is turning one way, I'll turn the opposite. Perhaps my purpose is to be defiant. To reject the things that are "expected". To question everything. To trust precious little of what I'm told. I don't like the idea of conformity. Consequently, it seems to me that being told I should endeavor to find "purpose" to be happy with myself, makes me want to be happy with being a contrarian. Or maybe that all just makes me an asshole. I'm not going to judge myself on that. There are more than enough people who will judge me for no other reason than they're breathing. It doesn't concern me enough to worry about it.

It's not really a conscious choice most of the time. I just can't bring myself to "go along" with most of the stuff that society says I should. But thanks for the encouragement! 🙂

Defiantly stamping my foot "Don't tell me what to do!!"

No. You can find purpose, but fate is silly.

My Purpose seems to change with the woman or loneliness in my life.

I don't think there's a plan, but I think people who find their niche can say they've found their calling.

Marz Level 7 Dec 26, 2017

The purpose of life is to propogate itself.
Purpose and Meaning are not synonymous.

I think we all decide our own purpose (or not) and just wing it - well those of us who are atheists do.

My purpose in life is to simply live.

No. You make your own purpose. Maybe if you're lucky, you fall into something good. If it's been preordained, then I dunno what to say.

I don't think there is a collective -'we' some of us just float around willy-nilly doing the best we can to be human - very many of us are damaged by our experiences that we cannot understand. Some know that here is a god - some don't, we are a strange collective of individuals and I like that idea everyone is different we meet learning opportunities all the time

In the Steve Martin movie, "The Jerk" Steve is born as a poor black child in rural somewhere and his mother tells him he has a special purpose. Later, Steve discovers that is just another name for his penis. Your genes, ala Richard Dawkins, insist that you transfer their important messages to future generations. Silent genes don't get passed on, only selfish ones.....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10840
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.