Agnostic.com

20 2

Dinner ideas...

I'm currently trying to figure out what to do for dinner and it reminded me of this game my friends and I like to play.

We ask each other the question, "If you can pick anything to eat right now, anything at all, (without regard to expense, accessibility, whether or not it's healthy for you, etc.), what would you choose?"

Seems like it should be easy to tackle but I find that with all the limitations removed it actually makes it a much tougher question to answer.

I'm torn between a chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy, Peking duck with hoisin sauce and green onions wrapped in little thin pancakes, or maybe Korean BBQ kalbi (shortribs) with rice and all sorts of traditional side dishes.

Your turn...

Alvingo1 7 June 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know if you have access to the America's Test Kitchen show or read Cook's Illustrated- but this is the best chicken fried steak recipe I've ever made. It's basically frying a steak like you would chicken and then having it with gravy and mashed potatoes.
[thisweekfordinner.com]

Thank you! I love America's Test Kitchen! I've always just used regular milk whenever I've made it but will have to try using buttermilk next time to get that extra crispy crust 🙂

Nice pic with Alice Cooper, btw...

@Alvingo1 I listen to Christopher Kimball's Milk Street radio every Sunday morning on my local PBS station. Here's a secret tip from me to you - I collect the yearbooks (which are just the bound monthly issues) by buying them on eBay. When they are new they are about $40 - but you can find them for around $10 including shipping in perfect condition! So far I have 12 years collected and I'm always on the lookout for the ones I missing.

@Alvingo1 also do yourself a favor and try their spaghetti and meatball recipe - I make this for every family gathering we have and everyone goes insane for them! Only enough buttermilk is a secret ingredient in this recipe as well.
[crumblycookie.net]

How I prepare a steak for cooking(a few days later);Any of the thicker cuts of quality meats,Rib eye,New York strip,Porter house,etc. Get the meat to room temperature,place on a cutting board,(I prefer the wooden ones) sprinkle on one side some Garlic Powder and then Seasoned salt,taking a mallet of a toothed meat tenderizer hammer,beat the seasonings into the meat,turning over and repeat the seasoning and, beating,then place in a plastic zip lock bag,refrigerate, and cook a day or so later.

When cooking,I use Peanut oil as it's higher temperature cooking oil that will not smoke as Olive and some of the others will do,get the iron skillet nice and hot so when a few drop of water skate around,it's ready, sear the meat quickly to seal in the juices on both sides,and use a knife to check how rare you'd like the steak to be,I like mine a little pink inside,so the flavor is still there,cooked but not like shoe leather.

First, my moms split pea soup with ham. Liver and onions, fried green tomatoes with homemade bread fresh and warm from the oven with butter. Then onto Palak paneer and onion naan. Lamb samosas and chicken tika Marsala and keep it coming. Then a full Mexican homemade meal with mole, enchiladas and tamales with homemade tortillas made with lard, the best! My moms beans whole, not refried, and rice. After, the very best pastries, and chocolates available. Then cake batter ice cream, served with my special chocolate birthday cupcakes my mom made for me from scratch when she was alive. With more frosting than cupcake and chocolate jimmies. Then her cream puffs. Ohhh and ice cold milk. Ohhhh to dream of such amazing foods. It might take me days to do this and it’s all over the place. I’m just dreaming as big as I can.

CM1965 Level 7 June 18, 2018

Yes!!!

Favorite foods of childhood,when we didn't have care in the world,eat,excuse yourself and go to play with your friends.No worries about war,hate,famine or social injustice,maybe we wore rose colored glasses in those days,I dunno....

It's somewhat rare to find another Liver and Onions lover,most are turned off by the aroma of pan fried Liver,with Onions,cooking away,but eating Liver(after it's cooked),provides an Enzyme not found in other foods.

Oven baked Lemon Pepper Chicken ,Steamed Red Potatoes,with Green beans,some fresh sliced Sourdough bread with plenty of butter for spreading,a glass of 2% milk and there's dinner.

French onion soup, grilled hanger steak or poached salmon with mashed potatoes and creamed spinach, and chocolate chip mint ice cream or homemade cheesecake for dessert, with a glass of Zinfandel and coffee made in a French press.

out

Soft shell crabs. Lobster bisque. Méchoui. Suckling pig. Real tandoor oven Butter Chicken or chicken tikka with freshly baked naan bread.
There are so much more food I can go for....

Lukian Level 8 June 17, 2018

That sounds so good right now...

A large bowl of Czarnina (duck blood soup) and sweet cheese Pierogi.

Pierogis I'm familiar with but the czarnina sounds interesting...

@Alvingo1 Duck blood, duck breast meat, prunes and raisins. Can be used for constipation also. Hee hee hee

LMAO!

Steamed blue crabs

My daughter is vegetarian, so I usually eat vegetarian as well. Today I made a yellow curry with zucchini, carrots, pineapple (freshly cut, of course!), green pepper, onion and garlic. I served it over white rice.

Lucila Level 4 June 17, 2018

I wish they'd hurry up and perfect that lab-grown meat and get it to market. I'm a big animal lover and totally sympathize with vegetarians but just don't have the will power to do it myself.

@Alvingo1
Me too!

A clean bathtub filled with melted hazelnut chocolate and a straw.

Lace pancakes wrapped around chicken, asparagus, and moray suace.

Slippery little devils...

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's a moray...

Mornay* hating autocorrect.

Rib Eye Steak and Langostino Lobster with Sweet potato and Orange Blossom honey.

Pizza. All the pizza. ???

Make it pan pizza.

Hi, Alvin,

You earn website points, and help other members get to know you better, when you upload a recent, clear photo of yourself, write an informational profile that includes your hobbies and interests, and answer all the profile questions, since that's the first place many people look when they see a new member.

Also, the website uses your profile to find member matches, so the more details you include, the better the match.

Then you make comments and write your own posts to earn more points and privileges; for instance, at level two you can private email people. You get different perks with each level, and when you reach level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

To find members near you, click on the "Meet" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Or click on the "About" button at the top of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Click on the 'Meet" button to find member matches

Links to FAQ: [agnostic.com],
and a website tutorial: [agnostic.com]

I used to have a recipe for chinese bbq beef ribs that I would roast haging from my oven rack. wow! lost the recipe years ago.

Never thought of preparing ribs in a regular oven before but hanging them from the rack makes perfect sense.

Real popcorn with real butter, and Molly McButter instead of salt for extra buttery-ness

that duck sounds good

btroje Level 9 June 16, 2018

Some places even carve the meat off the duck for you so you don't have to deal with any bones.

Now I want the shortribs.

Beef Manhattan; can't find a place that makes it around here. Only restaurant that I knew of had it closes down last year.

@PerbeMayhaps yeah there probably a place. I used to always get it at Castleton Grill, off of 82nd Street. No idea why they closed down. Went up there one time and they were closed.

I've never heard of Beef Manhattan. How is it prepared?

Sounds like the best comfort food...

@PerbeMayhaps Sounds a lot like Shit on a Shingle.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:108809
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.