Agnostic.com

16 3

camping and backpacking

Are there any outdoors people out there? Im talking 2 day hikes and deep woods camping not the "look at me! I took a selfie by the river" type outdoors.

Mojefro 4 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm big into outdoors, and am often roaming in the woods seeking out wildlife. I was out just this afternoon actually.

And enjoy camping, though my one "thing" is I must have a hot shower - even if it's a solar bag. No wading in cold streams for me ! Otherwise I can rough it pretty well.

As for selfies ? No - doesn't happen.

Been there, done it. Rather do some fishing.

I did the backpacking and camping thing when I was younger. Now, I am more of a day hike person, where I ge to go home and sleep in my own bed with the cat warming my feet.

I would nto be adverse to tryig it again. My experiences with backpacking and camping growing up were too entangled with my parents religion to really be all that enjoyable. It may be mroe enjoyable where I can just be myself without religious adult supervision.

I have wiped my arse with leaves - I'm hardcore!

My dad got "jogger's bowel" that way, poison sumac. Be careful out there!! ????

@Thoughtfuljenny I used wild garlic (allium ursinum) leaves, perfect size and shape for the job. Knowing how to forage prevents those rookie errors!

Real wilderness camping for days or weeks at a time have been my favorite but they require a lot of planning and preparation, not to mention youthful vigor. These days I find it easy to settle for four or five nights in a particularly nice state park with showers nearby.

skado Level 9 Dec 27, 2017

I'm a casual camper and hiker, mostly day trips that involve relaxing and taking short walks through the woods — nothing extreme.

I have done a lot of camping myself, tenting, primitive, pop up, and now a vintage hardside camper I am working on for this summer. Love the outdoors.. its my passion and what I call my soul connection to nature. Sounds like a fun time. Enjoy!

Kreig is your man. He's done it all. I'm your guy that camps by the river and 1000 yards from my truck. Just call me well informed of the potential dangers of the woods and survival is a must.lol.

My wife is accident prone... she's also one that requires more than a roll of toilet paper...lol

I am a lifelong outdoors in nature person and have taken week long backpacking and canoe adventures, rafting, hiking to tops of mountains and I still camp frequently in my Aframe trailer and hike the trails in at the campgrounds. National Forests are my preferred camping areas.

are useful skills as the end is nigh

Many years mountain climbing and white water canoeing. Camping on the side of the river, in parks, in lean tos and shelters at the top of Franconia Notch-Mt. Lafayette (with the mice). Tried waterfall rappeling last trip.

I LOVE to camp! (I am camera shy, and seldom take selfies). I do not yet own any back packing gear, and probably should not compress my lower back, BUT am strongly considering getting some and kayaking it in.

I went on one back packing trip with an outfitter (provided gear, guide, and meals). I learned four things on that trip: 1. take a small inflatable bed pad, 2. take an inflatable seat pad or compact stool, 3. use filtration for water purification (iodine + drink instantly = montezuma's revenge), and 4. back packing in gets one to natural beauty unheard of any other way.

Zster Level 8 Dec 27, 2017

I wish I could say that I was an outdoorsy person who loved to camp and hike, but I don't. Its like I wish I really loved salads, because they're good for me, but I just don't like them at all.

I'm kind of past that sort of thing now, although I still like walking. I've done hikes of two days or more in New Hampshire, New Zealand, and Australia.

@Kreig : The longest walk I did was Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair in Tasmania. This was eight days, although Christmas Day was a rest day. Also had to carry everything. The walks I did in New Zealand were the Milford Track and the Routeburn Walk. Both of these were about four days, but I didn't have to carry a tent.
I've done a lot of walking in my home state of Victoria, including I guess about half a dozen using a tent and staying at least one night on the trail. I can probably tell you more about these if you're interested but I'd have to look back through old photos.

At my age I would camp if it was an RV resort with all the comforts. Shit getting up in the morning my body is like rice krispies snap, crackle and pop.

I have done a lot in the past, 3 week expeditions into the mountains, 1 week mountaineering ski trips, week long canoe trips, mountain climbing, week long hunts and fishing trips on foot, solo 2 week mountain adventures and many other short trips. I am a little old for going on those long brutal adventures now but, I still go on less physically demanding ones.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10882
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.