Agnostic.com

83 7

Opinions wanted: my now ex has suddenly converted to Christianity??

My boyfriend of 2 years has suddenly broken up with me on the grounds that he has suddenly found god and says he can hear god and that we cannot stay together or make our relationship work because of our difference in religious views. I feel like it’s incredibly unfair for him to have done this.

Cheeriobebe16 4 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

83 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

UNFAIR or not, consider it a blessing... oh, sorry I couldn't resist.

If he's "hearing god"... run & don't look back.

I had a woman that belonged to the Garner Ted Armstrong Worldwide Church of God...televangelist kinda shyster. turned out he stole from his church or something... I was just glad to be rid of her.

She was wonderful though

Same thing happened to me . I was raised catholic. Been agnostic since 2005 . Ironically I was with her for 2 years but she broke up with me because I didn’t believe in Jesus . And she was a die hard bible banger .

He may be lying to use it as an excuse or it may be true. Regardless, you don't want to be with either of those versions of that person.

Religious beliefs are a touchy subject with everybody, and I know how it feels to have an argument over religion. I think your ex was trying to evade a fight that nobody would win. It would eventually come to a fight if he doesn't accept who you are after his conversion.

I think we couple as a cultural habit that insists on it because of paternity assurance and heredity laws. If you want a child make your life so that you can support it because fathers are absolutely no guarantee to be helpful and most often use a child custody as punishment in court battles. It's not worth any of that, chances are that you will wind up raising your child alone anyway.

Sounds like good riddance , Your young you need to find someone that shares most of your views and attitudes.

Relligions makes a slaves, important is the heart and the feelings!!

Let him go. It'll never ever work. I had this happen to me before. She had always been a believer but turned ultra religious. My advice is to get with a single hardcore atheist..... like me for example, message me anytime 😉

It's not unfair. It's his choice if he wants to maintain a relationship with you. Even if he is lying he obviously doesn't want to be with you so time to just deal with that reality and move on.

Thanks god he broke up

That's dumb. That's really dumb. You do you really want to be with someone who's dumb?
I wouldn't.
A smarter man would know better than to leave a good woman, no matter what the voices tell him to do.

Also, anyone who creates their own reality is much happier there than in the real world.
You'll meet a dude who's real and smart, and forget all about that alter boy.

Sorry that you had to go through this, but it sounds like it was definitely for the best.
Best of luck. 🙂

He says he "can hear god." It may be worth it to ask if he's literally hearing them, the same way he hears you when you speak. Hearing voices from people who aren't there is a symptom of certain kinds of mental illness, and the ill person may well attribute those voices to God, Satan, angels, demons, or other fictitious supernatural entities.

If "hearing god" is not a literal event but an actual religious experience, it's going to be cold comfort to you to hear that you're better off without him. You're in the midst of a broken heart and that's something which takes a while to heal. My ex divorced me a year ago after nearly thirteen years of marriage and I'm still reeling from it. What I'll say instead is it's not the end of the world and you will have other relationships. Stay true to yourself and don't compromise when you do go out looking again.

I've never been one to try to hold onto someone who doesn't want stay. You end up better off not wasting the energy it takes to hold onto something that doesn't work.

I had a relationship end in a similar way after the same amount of time, my girlfriend at the time was religious by nothing crazy and we could get along just fine. The mother moved down and kind of took over and made her a different person. It hurts to separate from a longer term relationship but I came to realize I was lucky it didn't go further then dating at that point.

Sorry to hear about that. I think that is a pretty sad excuse for dumping you.

My ex of 2 years left me suddenly as well because my family is too Christian. I, however, am not and was forced into it as a kid growing up. Anyway a couple weeks later she started dating her so called best friend that she friend zoned around the time we started dating and he comes from a very religious family. My point is that your ex may be making it up as an excuse because he met someone else. Unless he had some near death experience, I just find it hard to believe he would suddenly convert like that.

Sucks to be him. Your lucky you just don't realize it yet.

So he wasn't a perfect atheist, he just pretended to be an atheist. His id believe in god

Agree it's unfair, just as it's unfair for any religious person to judge others as immoral or unworthy. I guess my question would be, why would you want to remain with someone who judges and repudiates your belief system so harshly?

That really sucks but in hindsight, of course it will take time, it will likely be to your benefit. He may have met a woman at church, there are some pretty ladies (just dumb) found inside those walls.

You will look back at this and realize that this is the best thing to ever happen to you. If he stayed, how the hell would that look like?? Good riddance.

If it's legit, then he has a right to follow his heart.

It's an unfortunate decision regarding you and your relationship together, but this sort of thing happens often, for all sorts of reasons. People grow in different directions. Some connections survive major changes, others do not. No fairness guaranteed ever.

I'm sure it hurts though, and for that, I'm sorry this happened.

He's in a cult where reality isn't important. The most important thing is to surround yourself with others who don't think like you to help confirm your bias.

Hearing voices is a sure sign something is seriously amiss and you are lucky.

Or else maybe he had other reasons and found a way to end it without much of a discussion (the usual it's not you it's me way).

I understand you are feeling hurt. Maybe he feels he would constantly get into arguments with you if he stayed and perhaps he was doing it out of kindness? I have no advice for you, but if you need someone to talk to I will be more than happy to listen!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10896
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.