Agnostic.com

83 7

Opinions wanted: my now ex has suddenly converted to Christianity??

My boyfriend of 2 years has suddenly broken up with me on the grounds that he has suddenly found god and says he can hear god and that we cannot stay together or make our relationship work because of our difference in religious views. I feel like it’s incredibly unfair for him to have done this.

Cheeriobebe16 4 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

83 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Life is not fair. Life was here a long time before we came along with our ideas of fair and unfair. I am sorry for your loss, but I see no option for you but to move on with your life.

It seems unfair and it is unfair. It is not you, It is Him. I am sure you can take him at his word though. He will not try to make it work, He cannot stay together with you. He has salvation, You do not. That you had been well enough up to now does not count because you have to fulfill his concept of a "god" person. I think you may have ducked a bullet on this one. I am sure there are plenty of people out there religious and non that would not dream of behaving this way.

First. If he hears god talking to him, I want what he's smoking. Next, Usually we have imaginary friends as young kids. Since I assume he's an adult, he's nuts! Think of your self as fortunate and .move on

When I left my husband he had a breakdown and became a born again. It happens.

It is sudden, and might seem unfair, but do you want to be with somebody so fickle? Can you even truly know somebody who's views change so dramatically and suddenly.

It sounds like he might want you to convert, I would advise against that as it sounds like he as on a very dark path; claiming to be able to hear god is a sure sign that either: a) he's is suffering from severe mental illness, b) has a personality disorder, or c) is a liar.

You do not want to feed any of these things by agreeing to terms with him as you will only help him to hurt himself, or help him to hurt you further.

If you are in contact with his family then I would advise that you dispassionately tell them he has said he can hear god and that you are worried about his mental state, then I would honestly stop all contact with him. Do not try to bargain with him, and do not challenge him directly- this is a job for a mental health professional.

I am so sorry! No, it is tremendously irrational and unfair. The sudden change and depth of it sounds crazy, possibly even scary. It's bad enough that I would not even try to encourage you to salvage this, which is rare for me. I CAN sympathize with how hurtful and deluded this is, and get stomping mad with or for you. As much as this hurts, you have dodged a bullet. There are a LOT of sad stories when one does this and there is a marriage or kids involved. Religion of love? Yeah, right...

Zster Level 8 Dec 27, 2017

I change some as I age. I think that new god-people are so full of the god stuff that they go overboard. Becoming strongly opinionated is not really an attractive characteristic, and you are probably better off in the long run to go your separate ways.

A change in your boyfriend's outlook on life has taken place and with it comes a rigid belief system wherein any thing that does not conform or fit into it is dismissed or discarded.

If he claim to be hearing god, run, run for your life, something is wrong with his brain at 20 years old you don't need that in your life. It is very likely he has been lying to you all the time about his religious beliefs and just using you, sorry to the one to tell you this but, I have never known an atheist to go back to religion without having first suffering brain trauma.

Kick his ass and tell him that everything happens for a reason, and this is one of the mysterious ways God shows it.

Don't overlook the possibility of mania or psychosis. Does he have any mental illnesses or is he on any drugs, illicit or pharmaceutical?

I wonder which strain of Christian theology he was infected with?

Rejoice, you have just dodged a bullet.

He is either using religion as an excuse to break up the relationship...or he became mentally defective in 24 hrs. You are the winner here.

Hmmm.

Sounds to me like something is going on behind the scenes. I expect the real story is not the one he chose to tell you.

He hasn't met a cute christian girl and 'discovered god' for her, has he?

I agree with those who say it's probably best to move on. Not only will you be unhappy in your immediate relationship with this guy, you'll also never be able to connect with anybody in the circle of people he runs with, and you'll find yourself on the outside looking in all of the time.

Find someone whose life path runs more in line with your own.

What is it that does not provide people w/ substantial "sense of being" by the time they reach... sexual maturity? "Life is a series of experiences and reflections by which we come to discover and fulfill our destiny", or some such. Early/childhood brainwashing... not just religious; is detrimental to individuals "coming to grips w/ the realization of their limitations". Santa, the Easter bun bun, Mohamed... are all fun, but really... fantasies. Is your ex so "weak minded", under-developed that he would turn to superstition? Maybe. I ask that (we) all do our parts to expose others (deluded) to consider rational thought.

Uckin Fay 😀

You will be Fine. Now you can add god to had broken your heart. In the long term... You Make the Best of It. Love is a hard habit to break. My thoughts with you.

Good riddance

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 27, 2019

He’s probably doing you a service as you would always be playing second fiddle to Jesus.

Looks like you got a Get Out Of Free card there!

That is no reason not to look for someone like me i did believe once but after divorce 3 years ago i gave up i do everything i want now no won to tell me i am a sinner i like fast women and fast cars robert

Run and do not look back.

You have had a "lucky" break. You won't see it that way now, but give it a few months and you will.

And if your photo is anything to go by you are not going to have trouble finding another. 😉

I'm a little late to the post but thought I would share. I actually broke up with my girlfriend in high school because she was Atheist and I was Christian. If I had to guess, your ex does not know what he believes yet and has relapsed to an ideology where he feels more comfortable.

My high school self threw away a quality Atheist girl, what I would do go on a date and not be asked if I go to church . . .

Say it was nice meeting you! <3 Keep your craziness

Sounds to me that he just wanted an excuse to break up. Be no different that him saying that he just realized that he was homosexual so he can't be with you anymore. Do you best to move on with your life. You are young and pretty.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10896
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.