Agnostic.com

9 1

Are you more cynical about life today than yesterday?

What has changed?

atheist 8 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I kind of doubt if Humans have ever had it nice and easy. The problems we have today might be somewhat different, but people have always had difficulties. I just read "The Better Angels of Our Nature" by Steven Pinker. He makes the point that the rate of violence has gone down, giving verifiable stats. The murder rate in Europe was thirty times today's rate about 200-300 years ago. We think the rate is higher, but because of high tech, we see world wide news right away and that skews our view a bit. But Human life has never been a picnic.

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 28, 2017

No. It wouldn't be consistent with current scientific knowledge to assume humans have no redeeming qualities. We have some crap qualities, but altruism is also a part of our biological nature (in addition to some other species).

skado Level 9 Dec 27, 2017

I'm not really trying to sell it. It's just what I understand to be true. I'm open to evidence to the contrary. @atheist

@atheist Yes it's often limited to family and friends. The point is that it's an adaptive trait, just like aggression and competitiveness, etc. We're sometimes even kind to strangers, and stray dogs.

@atheist My response was too. : )

Yes, life does suck. Im a part of the toxic political environment. I can't tolerate Trump supporters.

Yes. MUCH more cynical given the current state of the US government. I honestly don't know that any politician can commit a travesty horrible enough to cost him (or her) re-election. We seem to have lost our principles as human beings.

Zster Level 8 Dec 27, 2017

you bet or as I like to call it aware.

About equal

@atheist I'd be going some to get more cynical, I've oft considered changing my name by deed poll to 'Cynical But' due to the amount of times I come out with it preceded by the words 'call me...'

I've been cynical about life since I was 13. .___.

me too question everything

I wonder what Diogenes's answer would be to such a question? That he had some peculiar habits would seem odd even in today's world...🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10939
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.