Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK USCIRF's Annual Report Misses the Mark on Bangladesh - TheHumanist.com

Unfortunately, another Bangladeshi atheist was murdered just this week. Atheist poet and publisher Shahzahan Bachchu was shot to death Monday in the town of Kakaldi. According to the report, “Shahzahan had gone to meet friends at a pharmacy near his home before iftar [the evening meal that ends the daily Ramada fast], when the assailants came into the area. They blasted a crude bomb outside the pharmacy, creating panic. They then dragged Shahzahan out and shot him.”

Incidents such as this are likely to continue to occur until US policymakers apply significant pressure on the Bangladeshi government and insist that it protects the religious freedom rights of Bangladeshi nontheists.

zblaze 7 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can't imagine Trump being interested in the death of a Bangladeshi Atheist, except maybe to crack a little smile. It's tragic and disturbing but I wouldn't count on America coming to the rescue anytime soon, more likely they will be engaging in similar behavior if the xstion fundamentalist secure their hold on power.

I would have thought that Amnesty International would get involved. Who's behind these killings?

US pressure would be welcome but that last paragraph reads like "Team America - World Police"

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:110011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.