Agnostic.com

10 13

LINK On religion and suicide

Depression, as Robert Sapolsky would say, it’s one of the worse illnesses anyone could ever have. And about 50% of people reading this is likely to suffer a major episode of depression in their lifetime. It has its roots in psychology as much as in neurobiology, so you can’t just say to a depressive “grow some” anymore than you can say that to someone with a broken leg.

The necessary caveat: If you are depressed, if you ever contemplate taking your own life, please seek help, check yourself into a hospital, talk to people. Even here would be a start. Whatever it is, it might get better if we help each other.

leofalas 4 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i don't recommend either, though i have considered one but i will leave you to guess which

Thank you

I am on 150mg of sertralin,for about 5 years ,let's say it gets me out of bed and ready to face another day:most of my sadness is centred around my oldest son,every moment of the day I am dying inside for him

It took me a long time to find the right medication, partly because I thought feeling as you describe was the best it could be. No! I have been on the right medication for about 6 months now, and for once I am at peace. A person at this website recommended a supplement, Rhodiola, that helps with the tiredness. Just my opinion and experience. - Best wishes.

The pain of stress, anxiety, tinnitus and other TBI has poor or no pills to make it all better.....why would you guess vets are shooting themselves in the head to silence the noisy pain ?

Very interesting article. Thank you.

JB4now Level 5 June 20, 2018

Depression, reactive depression, is often a symptom. It's not a disease.

There is a phrase: "neurons and neighbourhoods", which goes part way to acknowledging the effect that our environment has on mental health. But it's not enough in my opinion.

Big Pharma and our corrupt politicians have hijacked the depression and suicide narrative.

Terry Lynch challenges this narrative in his book 'Depression Delusion'. I think he's brave to do that.

Ultimately, the article I've linked below, is by far, the best article about depression and suicide that I have EVER read - in my entire life:

[automaticwriting1.wordpress.com]

This article you've posted took the words from me, made them make sense, and has made the most sense I've read in a long time.

Thank you for posting this article, I'm going to have to share it with many people to explain my lack of 'kittens chasing butterflies in a field of flowers' point of view on not only life, but the reasons why one would decide to end it.

Those who see the world as black and white do not see the grey, those who see only the grey trudge onto another day. While we do desire to see the other shades, we just hope our veil dissipates.

@BeardedWonder

I agree. The article is phenomenal.

Thank you for your eloquent comment.

Yes it has been tempting,in my darkest self loathing guilt ridden desperate moments! My kids are the reason I have not gone through with it

I am so glad you stay for life, courageous people inspire me

Exactly! (But then my husband commited suicide, and I saw it from the other side.) When the suicidal thoughts come, I just aim to get through to the next day, when I know it will be better.

Skip the American Medical Society-Big Pharm addictive, dangerous drugs and take CBD oil for depression. It has no side affects and also cures many serious health issues, such as seizures.

Taking long early morning walks resets the thyroid for higher mood and energy.

Eating cold water ocean fish gives you Omega-3 oil which heals the mind, and at WalMart you can buy St. John's Wort, 5-htp, magnesium-all of which calm the mind.

You can order derris scandens herb, which has a calming affect (and seems to cure both gender dysphoria and dyslexia symptoms), on Amazon. You can order Mexican sarsaparilla powder online, which stimulates the body to produce more testosterone, which can smooth out depression.

Those may work for depression caused by loss and stress, but I'd argue against recommending them as an alternative to medication in the case of severe clinical depression.

@moNOtheist Link: CBD oil found to help people with anxiety reduce their symptoms with few or no side effects. [medicalnewstoday.com]

@birdingnut But not something that will offer real help to anyone suffering from severe clinical depression, who may be tempted to take CBD in place of prescribed medication (I've been there myself, although not with CBD).

Please be careful with your suggestions unless you yourself have severe clinical depression. Your advice could so easily be misused.

Suicide is not a solution.

Oh, believe me, at times it really is - or at least has all the appearances of being very, very much like The Answer.

Not for you it's not. But for some others it is.

Suicide is game over. Nothing can be solved if you are no longer in the game. @Ellatynemouth

Come on...smarten-up. Once you are dead you no longer have any mental activity. How can that possibly be a solution. @moNOtheist

@nicknotes

You have no right to speak on their behalf. Not until you've experienced their level of suffering. You inhabit a different plane.

I am just giving my opinion. I don't think suicide is a solution. @Ellatynemouth

@nicknotes You obviously haven't been in that place. Of course "once you are dead you no longer have any mental activity", that's the point of the exercise - the darkness, for want of a better metaphor, is that utter and hopeless. The best I can hope for you is that your eyes are not opened by that particular experience.

Oh, and please don't tell me to smarten up.

It just seems like a big waste to kill yourself. If you are alive things can change ...they can improve...solutions can be found. @moNOtheist

@nicknotes Ever been so depressed that killing the self looks like the only door left to open? If not - and I hate to be so blunt - you have no idea.

You're arguing from a rational perspective. When you're caught in the inescapable darkness and overwhelming fatigue of a depressive episode (which is, in case you aren't aware, a collection of physical as well as psychological symptoms) and in utter despair, being advised to adopt a rational overview is akin to asking a paraplegic to dance.

Depression is not a choice. It's a disease - in my case, inherited dysfunctional brain chemistry.

@moNOtheist OK...I haven't walked in your shoes.

Suicide is the final symptom of depression. It may not be a "solution" but you cannot rationalize it, because depression is inherently irrational. You're sad because your brain is sick, and typically for no other reason. If you were dying of cancer and just in pain all the time with no energy or quality of life and no hope to get better, eventually you'd want an escape. It's no different.

@nicknotes Sometimes the solution is to have no more pain.

We have pain killers....@DevraisA1

@nicknotes Not for abuse!

@DevraisA1 Of course....

That is so true. It can be brought under control and I am living proof. I have been listening to Sapolsky for years, starting with The Great Courses.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:110978
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.