Agnostic.com

42 4

What do you say to someone that insists that "God"

What do you say to someone that insists that "God" is the one that makes is possible to live life? i.e. pay bills,escape a bad situation ...

mariposa888 4 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So stop working, paying bills and pray to god to take care of you

jab60 Level 6 June 20, 2018

Exactly what i always reply.

My parents created me. I worked hard to acquire the skills that I have. All the good I do is from me and the way I was raised. All the bad I do is my fault. I won't converse with anyone saying otherwise. That is not the way I chose to waste my time.

With my biggest possible smile, and most delightful voice, I'd say "that's amazing!," and change the subject.

I’ve recently sold a house that I bought during the recession some years back and I’ve made a substantial profit on the sale. My parents who are hard working first generation immigrants and very religious told me to thank god for the “blessing” because not many people my age have this kind of money and more so to have made it so easily. I told my mom and dad that I would rather thank them because they are the ones who helped me remodel the house before moving in and helped me pay the bills when they lived with me.

Mannym Level 5 June 20, 2018

I tell them there is no god, and they are delusional.

I probably wouldn't verbally say anything, but rather...

For the diehard believers, nothing I could say could convince them otherwise, so generally, I just throw some logic on top of their "pile", try to get to them to acknowledge (at least in part) the real hero/helper in the situation

It depends on your mood. If you’re feeling snarky, you may say “It seems you’re giving gawd all the credit and none of the blame for earthquakes, hurricanes & tornadoes”. If you’re feeling more kinder gentler you may say “It’s interesting, my friend Fatima said exactly the same thing, except she’s a Muslim, could both of you be right?” Either way, let the fun begin. 🙂

If God's the reason, where does that free will come into play that the religious are so fond of?

Money pays bills. Not God.

Given my perspective, that God = The Creative Force in the Universe, I can't argue against it.
But when someone says something utterly ridiculous and nonsensical, that's where I start trolling. lol
"God can perform miracles whenever he wants"
"Oh, really? Could he maybe stop children from being mass murdered all of the time. That would be really nice of him."

Nothing. I just give them a puzzled, blank stare and move away from them.

I say nothing . It would be like talking to a brick wall

This video might be useful.

I don't.

Prove it.

It's really the Flying Spaghetti Monster, may his noodley appendage be upon you, that make life worth living.

Last I checked, everyone breathes oxygen--even heathens like us.

I completely agree! The magic unicorn that lives in my butt makes everything possible!

On my less sarcastic moments I might ask Which God and how do you know that is true?

Oh my. Suspect this person blames all adversity on Satan or another opposite. Can ask why "G" can't or chooses not to intervene against the adverse...an old, tired argument...but so is the "G"-related insistence. Might be fun to contemplate (aloud) allegiance to the equally powerful "alternative"' power. Or not engage and simply say something low-key: "if you say so..." You don't really have to engage or try to rebut...

suzieg Level 4 June 20, 2018

There was a time when I would get into their face and argue my beliefs,or but non-beliefs as it may. but I've learned that a single post, or contradictions a debate won't do much to discourage them from their indoctranation, so I usually just back away. but sometimes I think that speaking out about my non-beliefs, and my vocal points might hit some one enough to possibly challenge their ways. To me, if I get one person to think, and critically think out side their box... Well I call a win.

Yeah, a quiet, non-confrontional application of logic can help more often.

@njoy_life_2 I volunteer at a homeless shelter which is run by a group called group called "Catholic charities.. this is one of the examples that the church is giving to the people that are trying to do well, and get the help that they might need. I have a conflict on that account. while I want to spread my views, I take a back sometimes I get to meet sometimes one might listen to reason that already have. If only one in a thousand actually accepts critical thinking, then I feel that I have lived up to my part.And I will always look up to them with great respect.

Hi, Mariposa, and welcome to the website,

When I meet people like that I ignore them unless they are speaking about nonreligious, positive subjects. Otherwise I remember I have something to do, and LEAVE. It quickly trains them to avoid the preaching.

By the way, you earn website points, and help other members get to know you better, when you write a positive, informational profile that includes your hobbies and interests, and answer all the profile questions, since that's the first place many people look when they see a new member.

The website uses your profile to find member matches, so the more details you include, the better the match.

Then you make comments and write your own posts to earn more points and privileges; for instance, at level two you can private email people. You get different perks with each level, and when you reach level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

In case you don't know yet, to find members near you, click on the "Meet" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Or click on the "About" button at the top of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Click on the 'Meet" button to find member matches

Links to FAQ: [agnostic.com],
and a website tutorial: [agnostic.com]

Nothing. You say nothing. It's not your responsibility to change stupid.

"Say goodnight to the folks Gracie"

Psychiatrist !!

Simon1 Level 7 June 20, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:111009
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.