Agnostic.com

5 2

Baron de'Holbach

"If we go back to the beginning, we shall find that ignorance and fear created the gods."

Lazemjam 4 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

An old quote comes to mind: Man created god(s); god(s) did not create man.

Where there are opportunities there are opportunists.

Betty Level 8 Dec 28, 2017

Shall we? I feel like I would need to see some actual data to verify that. Fear and ignorance have always existed, but so has love and compassion. We've had a lot of crazy ideas that we corrected as we grew more aware, so there has to be more to it than that.

As this article in the NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) points out:
Religious belief and behavior are a hallmark of human life, with no accepted animal equivalent, and found in all cultures (1). The biological basis of religion, though, is fiercely debated in fields as diverse as evolutionary psychology, anthropology, genetics, and cosmology. Contemporary psychological theories consider religious belief and behavior as complex brain-based phenomena that may have co-emerged in our species with novel cognitive processes for social cognition, such as Theory of Mind (ToM), and successfully engaged fundamental cognitive mechanisms, such as memory

[ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

I never heard of the Baron but he is right.

sounds spot on

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11125
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.