Agnostic.com

10 1

Most of us on this site agree that there is no afterlife: reincarnation, heaven, hell, Nirvana...
We also know that the human species isn't necessarily here for the long-haul, and may have already sealed our fate.
We know that those who suffer won't be given a better afterlife, and those who cause the suffering will never be made to atone for their wrongdoings.
We know that in a few billion years our sun will swell and swallow the inner planets, and then recede into a black hole, taking the solar system with it and erasing every chuck of evidence that we ever existed.

Based on all that, what is our "purpose" in life? Why should we bother to stick around? Why not succumb to alcohol and drug abuse and go out "happy"? Why work day and night just to pay bills and buy "stuff?"

This isn't meant to sound nihilistic (though it is), but I'm curious how non-theists interpret "life" and "purpose," living in a universe that goes to great lengths to make life possible, and even greater lengths to destroy it.

Benthoven 8 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You make your own purpose. And if you don't go out of bounds with the society you live in, you don't get thrown in jail or killed. OH ... and 42.

Question = answered.

I'm here because my death would give the universe too much satisfaction. 🙂
Seriously, our "purpose" is to be ourselves to the greatest extent we can achieve and, if current research is correct, to connect with other people. The last alleviates (I'm told by folk both smarter and better checked than I) the need for the fairly shitty version of hedonism you describe. A version, moreover, which denied me the pleasures of other hedonistic acts, many of which connect me very well to other people (and not merely literally).

ya lifes pointless it really is . theres no point to it. sometimes i get this costrophobic type of feel like im trapped in life with no real meaning to it all. wakeup live your day sleep repeat for days and days to months yeara ect. sometimes i feel like a ginipig just working and working stressing and for what ? to get a house ? a car ? nice things ? when it all comes down to the end of the day so what ? ive made it apoint to just try and enjoy life as much as possible. find things you like . whether its food vacations sex people accomishing thangs ect. and just try and enjoy things . don't worry when it becomes boring remember your going to die anyways so u gotta enjoy yourself now while u can . then eventually youll go back to non existance all black for eternity and youll never even know you were ever here nor will the future generations. which really makes your life pointless in the end "shrugs" ......

Well first get the science right. Our sun will not "receed to a black hole, taking the solar system with it". Our currently knowledge predicts that the sun will go through a red giant phase and then, after shedding a planetary nebula (like the ring nebula in Lyra for instance), cool slowly to a White Dwarf ember. Humans or what replaces us will be long gone. Maybe we will migrate to other star systems and maybe we won't. But actually, it doesn't matter.

Yes, it does seem rather pointless doesn't it? It isn't, the point is that NOW is what matters. Amazingly we are able to precieve these things about the universe and more. Isn't that fantastic?

You presume too much in your opening about What All Of Us Believe.

The easy answer is we're lucky to be alive. Make the most of it. Humans, particularly white male humans in the USA, are (arguably) the most priveleged group of cells on the planet. Make the most if it. Living is fun.
The other answer is Family.

"The easy answer is we're lucky to be alive." I think you presume too much with that statement as well.

If a person has responsibilities to a child a wife Parents etc it would be irresponsible and selfish to do this. If you don't have these responsibilities, or do have these responsibilities and are a sociopath then this would be a viable option

How did you come up with the statement that "most of us agree there is no afterlife"? A poll? It depends on what you mean about an afterlife. If it is pearly gates and harp music, then most on the site would not believe that. If it is that your atoms go on to find other uses, and your energy is recycled, then I think most would agree that happens. How do you define "afterlife"?

part if the challenge of life is to create and maintain a feeling of purpose. I have done this with my choice of profession and creating goals for myself over time. As I get older this is getting more difficult and I have to be more creative

I am still here because I procreated, and I feel great responsibility toward those offspring and their offspring. So until such time as the world ends or I succumb to natural causes I try to live a responsible, upright life and not embarrass those offspring too much.... Or at least low key and under the radar when I choose to be not quite so upright.

Is anything truly destroyed? We are eternal, we live on in a number of other ways...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11177
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.