Agnostic.com

9 0

When you were a kid..

What landmark from your childhood was destroyed and what was put up in its place?

zapho 3 June 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My grandfather's first barbershop in Toledo, Oh was torn down and a Rite-Aid was built. Down the street, he had his barbershop for 50+ years. It, along with the rest of the row of buildings, which was FULLY rented, was torn down for a.... Rite Aid. The abandoned "original" Rite Aid is still empty and they razed working businesses for their damn new building. I haven't gone into a Rite-Aid since.

MikaB Level 5 July 9, 2018

A pizza place, sub shop, arcade, and many houses were torn down for flood control. My first date with my ex-wife was for pizza at the previously mentioned site. If only they'd gotten finding for the dyke sooner....

JimG Level 8 June 22, 2018

Behind my childhood house was this area of untouched wilderness; we called it "The Woods." It was surrounded by two or three subdivisions, the school I went to from pre-K to high school, and 2 roads that were frequently traveled on in my city. As a kid it seemed like a huge area, but using Google maps it looks to be 1500 ft (from north to south) by 2200 ft (from east to west).

As kids, my brothers and I created walking paths using the turtle shell from our sandbox to make traveling easer. We would hold the shell upright with the shell design facing outward then step on the shell to flatten any brush or briers. I added a photo of what exactly the sandbox and shell top looked like. After creating the paths, my dad got one of his friends to redo our walking paths with his tractor to make the paths wider and less dangerous to walk on.

The neighborhood kids and us would play ball or explore The Woods almost every day. My older brother, 2-3 of his friends, and I even made a hideout with a secret entrance within The Woods that only we knew about.

I don't remember when but sometime after I graduated high school, someone bought 1/5 of The Woods (part of the southern and southeastern areas directly behind my house which is where we normally played and explored) and started demolishing all the trees and other plant life. They were going to create another subdivision. However, I guess they ran out of money or the deal wasn't finished because they abandoned that plan but not after destroying our hideout, most of our original paths, and the majority of the trees. Deforestation sucks and looks terrible. Walking through it was difficult because I would try to remember where all the original landmarks and paths used to be but sometimes it was almost impossible because it just looked so different.

After a few years, that area started growing back. Someone else bought, I believe, all of The Woods and demolished another 1/5 of it and built a church. The 1/5 they demolished was on the northeast corner which wasn't really traveled/explored much as a kid, so that wasn't much a blow to my childhood. The rest of The Woods they left alone for the most part. They did set up some new walking paths for the whole area and currently allows the public to walk on them and the school I went to as a kid to use the paths for cross country races.

We used to have a really nice area at Johnson St beach. There was an arcade and other wonderful things. Now it is a Margarittaville Resort. 😟

I Live about 13 miles from the area where the World Trade Center once was.

My high school. It is now just a vacant lot.

The entire dowtown of Lawton, Oklahoma, a town of 65,000 people, was leveled and replaced with your average mall. Sickening!

The telescope at Northwestern University. There is now an upgraded scope. It was built in 1887-88 & stood at the U of Chicago until it was moved to Evanston in 1939 to make way for U of C expansion. The dome was removed in 1998 & replaced with an upgrade in 1999. I haven't been to the flatland since 2004 so I have no idea what it looks like.

A line of poplar trees in front of Kingston power station by the river Thames in Kingston upon Thames were pulled down so that the new flats that were built on the site of the power station didn't have their view of the river impeded.....fuckers!

ipdg77 Level 8 June 22, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:113262
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.