Agnostic.com

43 6

Most admired human being in your lifetime

What human being, who was alive for at least part of your lifetime, is the ONE you admire the most? Yes, we older folks have more people to choose from, but age does (or should) have its benefits. After much consideration, I was waffling between Bertrand Russell and Carl Sagan. Since I can only pick one (those are the rules), I'll have to go with Bertrand Russell, since his publicly expressed views are on a wider range of topics than Dr. Sagan's. Whew! It was really almost too close to call. πŸ™‚

RobLawrence 7 June 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Barack Obama. Becoming POTUS is, or should be a calling, not a "prize" to be sought like the current MoronInChief. Obama was not perfect, but he always attempted to do the right thing for ALL. Articulate, intelligent, compassionate, and had the intestinal fortitude to stand up to or ignore the most vitriolic, hateful attacks against him and his family.

Churchill, because of his resilience and determination to lead through WWII despite experiencing clinical depression from the age of 35. Having a similar condition, but able to temper it with medication, I can only imagine his struggle back in the 40's. β€œNever give in, never give in, never, never, never, in nothing, great or small, large or petty β€” never give in…” Churchill

Jackson Browne.

Stephen J. Gould - evolutionary biologist par excellance. He's second in my respect for great scholars right behind Charles Darwin.

A person that I've always admired for his intellectual ability (even though I am a liberal progressive) was William F. Buckley Jr. I rarely agreed with him politically, but I respected his ability to articulate his positions ariditely. Occasionally he would come off pedantic, but in general his arguments were well thought out and rational. On top of thst he was able to engage his opponents and nevery lose his civility, a trait very mucheap missing today.

t1nick Level 8 June 24, 2018

trump... despite his fuck offs still has a large following of assholes and became unpresident after all. 1000 years from now history will scratch its head figuring that one out.

my mum

@RobLawrence i am, very much so. πŸ™‚

β€œMost” is a toughy. I don't think I can narrow it down to one.

Tim Berners-Lee, his research led to the World Wide Web.

Einstein. had the fortitude to refuse to support the German government's aggression in WW1 and in 1905 he wrote nonreligious on an application for a job at the German University of Prague fully knowing the powers that be were not allowed to hire anyone who was a non believer. He was refused the position. Most know of his other works. Apparently not the kindest husband to his first wife, but is know to have said to his second wife, I need someone to love, for it would be a miserable life without it. And when pressed, he said he did not believe in a personal god that entered the lives of men.

Chico Mendes. Gave his life for the rainforest & its inhabitants.

trump... despite his fuck offs still has a large following of assholes and became unpresident after all. 1000 years from now history will scratch its head figuring that one out... But You Shall Not Ask Questions If You Can't Deal With The Answers!

@RobLawrence Don't ask the question if you don't like the answer.
I didn't comprehend why you have to ask a stranger who they admire the most but I kept it to myself. Until now.

Do I understand you to mean you just have to admire someone so crass has such an effect on so many voters to make them vote for him, even though it is obvious to more rational people that he is completely divisive and venal? That is an interesting way of thinking.

People who are brave and selfless. There are so many... I can't think of any from my lifetime at the moment.

Just to throw one name out there: 'Sophie Scholl', to name but one of hundreds...

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Dr. Maxie Maultsby Jr.

@RobLawrence I know that Dr. Albert Ellis developed Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy, which has swept the globe as the premier method for psychological counseling. Dr. Ellis was an atheist and was, at one time, stridently anti-religious. He wrote many books but I have read none of them.

I knew nothing about all this when I was in need, and was given the book, β€œHelp Yourself to Happiness” by Dr. Maultsby. Dr Maultsby contributed heavily to Cognitive Behavior Therapy by expanding on the work of Dr Ellis, and adding to it considerably.

Of course I am biased in favor of Dr. Maultsby. He was a local man from our area who succeeded admirably, and he wrote in a way that was easily understood by those of my ilk.
He taught self-counseling, very important IMO. His book helped me considerably but I realize that it might not be for everyone. Let me say however that you’ll find no mention of God or religion in Dr. Maultsby’s books.

A problem with being older is there are too many to pick only one. I will choose my father.

@RobLawrence My mother too. I miss them every day. Lucky indeed.

Stephen Hawking.
Michael Jackson.
Dennis Rodman.

@RobLawrence Michael Jackson because of his amazing ability to entertain so many people and arouse such fascination. He was basically a living god until the first child molestation charges.

Dennis Rodman because I admired his boldness and flamboyance as he lived his life exactly how he wanted, especially after being so timid and shy and almost killing himself as a teen (things I related with).

Donald Trump

@Joenobody

Thank you

@Joenobody Totally unnecessary response.

@jlynn37 sorry, it just felt right.

If you aren't joking, you have serious issues!

@Healthydoc70 Lol yes I was in fact joking. I just caught a visceral verbal jab because of something funny.

I'd have to go with my high school science teacher who first challenged me to begin asking questions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:114204
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.