Agnostic.com

48 6

Soulmates: do they exist?

Ive had this idea floating around my head for a few days. At first thought the idea of soulmates or partners meant for one another doesn't inherently scream religion but then when I take a minute to think about it, isn't it religious based? Maybe this is a no brainier for some of you but I guess I never sat down and thought it through. I don't really believe in soulmates exactly but the idea of the right match being out there somewhere is nice. I know theirs science out there to base attraction, ect on but I guess I'm just curious to see if anyone else has put any thought into this. Soulmates would suggest divine intervention simply bc your prepartnered with someone and then later destined to meet them. I guess a part of my romantic side is dieing a little bit with this thought process, I'd just be interested to see what different people in our community to have to say about it.

Gypsy31771 6 June 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments (26 - 48)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pretty sure you fabricate your own. I've got a partially assembled one right now that I'm working on!

I would not refer to someone as a soulmate because that would lead to some ethereal belief that somehow in the ether you were separated and that is too much religious connotation for me. A monogamous magnanimous lifetime companion would be more suitable. Have not come across such an individual in all of my adventures.

azzow2 Level 9 June 25, 2018

I had forgotten about this scene. Thanks for the giggle.

I have built a few structures out of natural stone. They don't cut it so much as somewhat broken up to fit on a pallet. You have to find 'natural' pairings, especially for important spots. Sometimes you find a natural set of 3 or 4.

Some people happen to work seamlessly early on. It is probably more like complimentary personalities and common culture or values than it is intelligent coupling design.

They do, after 10 to 15 years (it may take more) of love, patience, understanding, forgiveness, sharing....

Probably but hard to find. That's like winning the lottery nowadays.

I love the fantasy of having a soul mate. I realise I make consecions and compromise to make it feel that way. But then again I’m sure she does too. What really matters is that we do and it’s enjoyable. We make it work it just doesn’t happen by its self but we are willing and that’s the part that creates a soul mate, in my opinion.

Nardi Level 7 June 25, 2018

There is a beautiful Spanish song written by a Cuban poet, that summarize the soulmate concept (when it happens) amazingly simple. Basically points out the fact of the incredible odds to find one when each other could have been far away not only distance wise, but time as well.

I think they do...

Some species pair for life, i.e. Swans, pelicans. Does that mean they are soul mates? Have they decided upon that partner over another or just the first partner that comes along? I don't know but I am sure studies have been undertaken. If they choose each other over others I would say yes, in that species, so maybe yes in humans. If, however, that is so, a certain modicum of pre-destination could be acknowledged. From a Darwinian perspective it seems unlikely, but we do seem pre-disposed to a certain type, not just anyone. So the choices seem to be Darwin or Disney!

All the parts fitting together like a fine swiss watch,ticking along,requiring periodic tuneups,or another analogy,the high speed gearbox of a Formula 1 race car tremendous speeds,torque and horsepower, moving through life as partners.

Just grab a willing partner who looks good to you. After making love a few times you’ll begin to feel like soulmates.

Soulmates? Wouldn’t you need a soul? Is a soul inconsistent with being atheistic/agnostic?
I think that what we’re talking about is inherently compatible personalities. Sometimes that not what we want. Sometimes we want a person or type that’s inherently destructive us. For example, the guy who wants the brain dead trophy wife. It’s nice when everything works. You get everything you want in a single package, but the chance of that happening is obviously small. Perhaps what we should be talking about is the kind of person, personality type, that will help ensure a peaceful satisfying life. I doubt very many people would readily agree with that.

Not necessarily soulmates, but more compatibility. The idea of soulmates sounds like a bunch of arguments and bullshit. Don't get me wrong, or I could be also, just saying

Qiru Level 6 June 25, 2018

There are many definitions of soul mates in mystical teachings, including the idea that two people inhabited the same soul, then the soul split at conception, in a past life.

Then when the two halves meet each other in a later reincarnation, they recognize each other, even if they don't know from where, and they are almost identical in their outlooks, preferences and mind sets.

I studied reincarnation research for awhile, since I was born remembering one past life, and later remembered at least seven more. I googled a couple of the more major incidents I remembered from those past lives, and my memory of the details was eerily correct.

In one book, The Laughing Cherub Guide to Past-life Regression: A Handbook for Real People, by Mary Elizabeth Raines, the author was a hypnotherapist, but some people didn't get well despite her best efforts. One day a patient began regressing under hypnotism and remembering past lives where the original trauma occurred.

Dr. Raines learned that when people were healed of their memories in the past lives where the trauma happened, they instantly recovered and never had the problem again.

I had some weird and stubborn phobias and fears I'd not been able to shake all my life, so I did a shortened version of her complicated technique. I simply decided to see the past life where the problem originated, and when I saw what happened back then, I'd re-magine the scene as it SHOULD have happened, without the trauma.

Instant success!
And I didn't even believe in it, and was just trying it out.

One trauma I was trying to heal was intense grieving for my daughter-and a feeling of desperation to be with her. It was a problem since she's in her 30s, and living in the US, and I've been in Thailand since 2010.

I saw that the problem was that we had originally been one soul that split when we became red-haired warrior twins, who were killed in battle when we were 17 years old. I remembered the battle, location, etc., and googled it, and the memory details were accurate.

I still didn't believe it, as all this stuff was just in my head, like an imagined event. Yet, it worked. I stopped grieving for my daughter was able to live happily in Thailand after that.

All the other memory re-imaginings worked as well and I was free of many problems I'd had all my life.

No, because there's no such thing as a soul. And, if that's not what you really meant, then still no, because people are multi-faceted and we change everyday.

Synchronicity

Etre Level 7 June 25, 2018

No

I don’t much favor the idea of us “having” souls. If I have a soul, who is it that is doing the having? To me it makes more sense to think that our true selves exist in a higher realm than the physical universe that we see before us. I’m not talking about anything supernatural, just the part of reality that we can’t understand with our space/time/matter model.

I lean toward the idea that consciousness is primary, and that the sense of self a a separate individual is an illusion. In that respect we might be considered a single, unified entity. We would all be soulmates together.

You need a soul first which is definitely based on religion so yeah more fairy stories

Simon1 Level 7 June 25, 2018

"Soulmate" would have to be defined. Does that mean your perfect match? I think it is unlikely that everyone has a "perfect" match. There likely is someone in the world that is your optimal match, but the likelihood that you will ever meet that person is very very low. Stop expecting to find a perfect match and be OK with someone that is close enough that you can build a life with.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:115121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.