Agnostic.com

63 7

Do you want to be resuscitated?

Have you left instructions with friends or family on whether or not you want to be resuscitated? How much do you know about resuscitation and what it means and your chances of surviving? Would you like to be kept alive at all costs or is there a limit to what you want to keep you alive. For me it's about reversible causes and how long I've been without oxygen. If I arrest outside of hospital my chance of surviving is about 20% even with good cpr.

Josephine 7 June 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments (51 - 63)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. In such a case, if I were to survive, it is likely that my remaining quality of life would be poor.

I wouldn't want my relatives to be too hasty in pushing me off just to get their hands on their inheritance.

yes, i want to be brought back, and i have left appropriate instructions.

g

Now or later? Just kidding. I guess it depends. If trump is still president then no way.

I choose Life, even in a vegetated state... As long there are no vegans to my care. Don't trust anyone that don't eat beef on a Friday. Wouldn't trust their judgment of what a vegetable is. "That is such a great storyline for a movie... vegans that eat humans on a vegetable state!" I know, my apologies to all vegans on this site. I am disgusting! But will make a great horror movie! Better than "Get Out". VEGGIES

Depends on what it's from. Drowning....yes. Electrical shock/heart attack....yes. Mortal illness when life is sustained by machines....no.

No

If drowned and within 15 mins, yes. All other cased, no.

If I am a vegetable, or will be bed ridden all the time, or don’t comprehend anything around me or who I am or who anyone around me is, then I don’t want life anymore!

Ronny Level 4 June 26, 2018

Like you it depends on how I would be after. If gone too long with out oxygen to the brain too much chance of brain damage.

I did not realize the 20% number on out of hospital resuscitations. That being said, if I am healthy and an accident occurs then yes, I want the chance. If I’ll and hospitalized with a poor outlook, then no. During the final weeks of my husbands death, my step children and I all had to insist that my husbands directive be read and adhered.

LouLou Level 4 June 26, 2018

I did not realize the 20% number on out of hospital resuscitations. That being said, if I am healthy and an accident occurs then yes, I want the chance. If I’ll and hospitalized with a poor outlook, then no. During the final weeks of my husbands death, my step children and I all had to insist that my husbands directive be read and adhered.

LouLou Level 4 June 26, 2018

The death of a person necessarily implies life without purpose, and when life has no purpose, it has lessened value. We protect value by protecting human life, so this is not about wanting vs. not wanting. This is about truthfully and ultimately justifying human existence, even when it is not subjectively preferred.

@Josephine

Okay but that's an insult, because now you're throwing the word "sh%te" at me, but thank you.

@Josephine

There was some cross-talk between my different modes of interpreting, but it looks like I derived an effective meaning. If I ever figure out the formula behind deriving connotations in a purely descriptive sense, I won't have this confusion.

@Josephine

Lol I seemed to notice I was being funny a bit too late...

You are a gem, thank you

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:116085
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.