Agnostic.com

53 7

Should we genetically modify our species?

As we learn more about DNA and our genome, with advancements in CRISPR and similar technology, we have opportunities to improve our species in any number of profound ways. The knowledge is there and the tech is catching up quickly. So why not? What are the moral hurdles to genetic and/or cybernetic augmentation of the human race?

ChefMcBrian 4 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (51 - 53)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's no need - Nexus 6 replicants are already available. Roy Batty's incept date was 2016.

NO.
"Modification" either means to improve or control, in either case it is a totally subjective decision made by and subject to an opinion.
Our genetic make up is the result of millions of years of evolution with no aim other than the continued objective aim of survival of the species.
To think we could interfere with that, other than to cure genetic faults and diseases on a specific case by case basis, is the height of arrogance and dangerous stupidity.
If you cannot see the potential dangers of mass genetic engineering you have no imagination.

I certainly don't lack imagination. Ultimately we will need to leave our planet if not our solar system. We're way too squishy to survive in space as we are now. Thinking very long term here. Its definitely not something to rush or take lightly.

@ChefMcBrian
If survival necessitated giving up our essential humanity, I would seriously question if that was human survival at all.

@LenHazell53 i think our essential humanity is whatever we've decided it is. Life is fluid and always changing. Our form and blueprint is not set in dtone or ordained by a higher power.

Yep. I have some things I’d like to fix.

Such as?

I would like a new pancreas. Please put that on your list.

@ChefMcBrian bad allergies, poor eyesight, etc.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:116895
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.